SHIELD meets the Scoobies (Buffy).

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: SHIELD meets the Scoobies (Buffy).

Post by Tribble »

They'd definitely be stomped the by Avengers' heavy hitters, but IMO the Scoobies could probably put up a fight against Cap, Black Widow and Hackeye.

What would be a relatively even one-on-one matchup with the Avengers?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

LadyTevar wrote:
Enigma wrote:What if the Avengers got involved? lol
Please. The Scoobies would be toast.

First, going Pre-Civil War, you have Tony and Rhodey (suits), Wilson (flightsuit, guns, bombs, Redwing), Vision (density shifting and lasers from the Gem), Wanda (magic/telekinetics/whatever), Clint (assassin, archer), Widow (assassin), and finally Steve (Supersoldier, leadership). Cap makes the plan in the field, the others make it happen.

What do the Scoobies have? Giles (Scholarly Mentor, human, poor fighting skills), Xander (some fighting skills, computer geek, base human), Willow (witch, hacker, otherwise base human), Dawn (psychotic bitch fighter), Spike (vampire, soldier, punk), and Buffy (enhanced human slayer). You also have among the Scoobies a lack of true leadership in the field, a lot of high drama that splits the party, and very little experience fighting outside their 'niche' of vamps and demons.

Now... with the Avengers all over the TV, Willow could get contingences going. Giles could do research. Xander and Willow could hit the 'net and dig up shit. BUT......... how long do you REALLY think Buffy and Spike would wait for them to get that all done before going out and trying it "their way"? (and we all know how little that works against the Big Bads with Buffy and Spike).
If the Scoobies, post-season seven, pulled in all their contacts, pooled all their resources, had all the prep. time in the world... I still doubt they could beat the Avengers in a straight fight. And I'm talking first film Avengers, not the larger AoU team.

Especially if the Avengers got prep. time too. Imagine Tony having a chance to build a suite that duplicates the effects of Sunlight for killing vampires, or has magical artifacts built into it to shield it against spells.

And Hawkeye vs. vampires... well, considering one of the favoured ways to kill vampires is a crossbow, that's just absurdly lop-sided.

But on the other hand, the Buffyverse has spells any random high school nerd with a bit of know-how can perform that can rewrite reality on a global scale.

Or one sufficiently in league with the forces of evil could summon a vengeance demon and say "I wish Nick Fury had never formed the Avengers" and poof, problem solved. World gone, too, probably, so that's more of a mad option.

Buffyverse is strange that way. Not terribly powerful by superhero standards in direct combat (leaving old ones and such aside, anyway), but able to rewrite the world on whim if you have the right spell/being/artifact at your disposal.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Willow's hacking ability is being rather over-played here since we are talking at least a 10 year gap in computer technology between the end of Buffy and AoS. Even if Willow is somehow given an up-to-date education on technology advancements. Shield seems to use a lot of advanced custom technology that may not even be in the public market for Willow to have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to get near it. Hacking into Shield will be even MORE difficult after Skye pulled her own attempts and used her expertise to shore up Shield's cyber defences.

Magic - Willow burns out very fast when she is hurling around magic which makes her the definition of a glass cannon with the added fact she could backfire on herself. I do not recall her doing much offensive magic except when she went into dark mode and even that was more showy than actually effective. Most of Willows magic displays have been supportive rather than direct to the point she usually ends up sitting back doing nothing in fights. When pushed against the wall she had issues putting up much of a fight against the biker gang demons.

Angel team - Not seeing how they will do any better against Shield.
Illyeria - Without her god powers she only appears to be a blue tinted enhanced individual. If you wanted to be generous she might be classified as Asgardian. I do not think Illyeria is going to be faring well if Coulson calls in Thor or Sif.

Gunn - Gonna be an awkward situation if he bumps into Deathlock or Skye sees him. Otherwise, Gunn has nothing that could really surprise Shield.

Wesley - Not going to fare much better than Giles even with his trademark guns. I put my faith in trained Shield agents being able to win a shoot out with Wesley.

Connor - Ugh, the obnoxious little shit gets floored when he inevitably pulls his childish bullshit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If the Scoobies, post-season seven, pulled in all their contacts, pooled all their resources, had all the prep. time in the world... I still doubt they could beat the Avengers in a straight fight. And I'm talking first film Avengers, not the larger AoU team.

Especially if the Avengers got prep. time too. Imagine Tony having a chance to build a suite that duplicates the effects of Sunlight for killing vampires, or has magical artifacts built into it to shield it against spells.
How badly could Tony disrupt their preparations by throwing his money/political influence around ?

Is that a tactic he is likely to use ?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Willow's hacking ability is being rather over-played here since we are talking at least a 10 year gap in computer technology between the end of Buffy and AoS. Even if Willow is somehow given an up-to-date education on technology advancements. Shield seems to use a lot of advanced custom technology that may not even be in the public market for Willow to have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to get near it. Hacking into Shield will be even MORE difficult after Skye pulled her own attempts and used her expertise to shore up Shield's cyber defences.
Willow is a faster learner and will probably keep her skills up to date unless she's over-relying on magic again. Also, she'll cheat with magic. We know its possible to absorb knowledge from books magically in the Buffyverse. Could you do the same with a computer?
Magic - Willow burns out very fast when she is hurling around magic which makes her the definition of a glass cannon with the added fact she could backfire on herself. I do not recall her doing much offensive magic except when she went into dark mode and even that was more showy than actually effective. Most of Willows magic displays have been supportive rather than direct to the point she usually ends up sitting back doing nothing in fights. When pushed against the wall she had issues putting up much of a fight against the biker gang demons.
When she fought the biker demons she was exhausted from having just cast a resurrection spell (which basically involved her being tortured in the process).

But its true, she doesn't normally use a lot of offensive magic. She can still, at minimum, be useful for tracking, intelligence gathering, concealment, and shielding, however. Possibly healing too, although healing magic seems to be very limited in the Buffyverse.
Angel team - Not seeing how they will do any better against Shield.
Illyeria - Without her god powers she only appears to be a blue tinted enhanced individual. If you wanted to be generous she might be classified as Asgardian. I do not think Illyeria is going to be faring well if Coulson calls in Thor or Sif.
Illyria after being de-powered is basically a vampire-level combatant, maybe slightly stronger, with some mild shapeshifting and millennia of knowledge and experience (and, unfortunately, the ego to go with it). I seem to recall something about talking to plants too, though I can't recall if she kept that after being de-powered.

When she first showed up she was stronger, and at times demonstrated a time-warping ability which could slow down her opponents. At that level, I think she could easily solo Coulson's team unless they had time to research and prepare countermeasures. She soloed Team Angel easily enough as I recall.
Gunn - Gonna be an awkward situation if he bumps into Deathlock or Skye sees him. Otherwise, Gunn has nothing that could really surprise Shield.
:lol:
Wesley - Not going to fare much better than Giles even with his trademark guns. I put my faith in trained Shield agents being able to win a shoot out with Wesley.
Wesley is a superb marksman and a ruthless (if unstable) bastard. One on one in a gun battle, I'd give him fair odds against any of them.

But he's outnumbered.
Connor - Ugh, the obnoxious little shit gets floored when he inevitably pulls his childish bullshit.
He may be a wanker, but he's a good fighter, and seemingly more mature/stable after the whole memory alteration thing. He's close to Angel or Spike level in hand to hand.