Doctor Who: New Companion will be announced on Saturday.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who: New Companion will be announced on Saturday.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36104565
The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night.
The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST.
The new companion will star alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the 10th new season of Doctor Who.
They will replace Jenna Coleman, who played Clara Oswald, who left the show in 2015.
Coleman joined Doctor Who in 2012, and starred alongside two Doctors, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.
She asked to be written out and left to take on the role of Queen Victoria in a major ITV drama series.
Filming for the next series of Doctor Who will start this year but will air in 2017.
In January, it was announced the head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, was stepping down from the show.
The next series will be his last, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.
Just hoping for something not completely generic, and of course, that the actor is good. I don't know how much information we'll get about the character, though. They might keep that a spoiler, and leave this at just a casting announcement.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who: New Companion will be announced on Saturday.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Announcements of announcements are silly.

eta: In other Who news, they've put Capaldi's first series on Netflix UK. But Smith's Last series ends with Name of the Doctor. Neither of his specials are available. Which is sad. Day of the Doctor is something I might actually rewatch.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ah yes, Day of the Doctor. One of the few things that makes me not completely loath Stephen Moffat as a writer.

I kind of wish this new companion was coming in with the change in head writers, rather than Moffat having a season to mess them up first.

But on the other hand... yay, not another year of Clara!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04- ... s-at-least

Little mini-teaser, but it doesn't really show anything very noteworthy.

Female companion, apparently, no surprises their, although since Doctor Who usually has only two main characters (unless you count the TARDIS) at a given time, and the Doctor is currently still male, they almost have to make the companion female (unless they go back to multiple companions, which I personally would support).

Apparently the new companion will be announced around 6:00 in Britain, so pretty soon over here.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And the winner is...

Pearl Mackie.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36111598
Pearl Mackie has been named as the new Doctor Who companion alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the Tardis.
The Londoner's role was announced on BBC One during half time of the FA Cup semi-final match between Everton and Manchester United.
Mackie replaces Jenna Coleman, whose character Clara Oswald left the show in 2015.
Filming for the next series of the long-running science fiction show will start this year but air in 2017.
Mackie, who graduated from Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 2010, is currently performing in the National Theatre's West End production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.
Doctor Who, which was first shown in 1963, is heading for its 10th season since it was reintroduced to schedules in 2005 after a gap of nine years.
Coleman joined the show in 2012, and starred alongside two Doctors, Matt Smith and Capaldi, the 12th Doctor who joined in 2014.
She asked to be written out and left to take on the role of Queen Victoria in a major ITV drama series.
Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman
Image caption
Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman) left the long-running series at the end of last year
In January, it was announced that the head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, was stepping down from the show.
The next series will be his last, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Not impressed.

Great way to screw over your introduction of a new companion by turning it into a joke at their expense and further make them look like a complete idiot.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The clip released makes her seem like someone who will endlessly ask really bloody stupid questions to the point where pushing her out into the Vortex is appealing.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Pretty much what Parallax said (not that her hairdo wouldn't suffice as reason for that).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd rather not judge the character on one one small clip. And personally, I didn't find it that bad.
Spoiler
Being in over their head is fine for a new companion, as long as they start to grow out of it fairly soon.

And hey, at least she's not Clara. :D Though the fact that it looks like she'll probably be another young human woman from modern Earth is a bit disappointing.
Also, I love that they gave her a name that doesn't follow arbitrary gender-based naming conventions. A female Bill. The only thing like it I can recall seeing on air is Fred from "Angel", though I'm sure their are other examples. Though it makes me wonder if she's going to end up being transexual because simply having a woman named Bill would be beyond the writers' imaginations.

Also, here's a link to the clip in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMmsShghT4

Edit: Added spoiler warning.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I doubt she is transsexual considering, as far as I know but could be wrong, when transgender people transition to their proper gender they tend to take new names more in line with the gender they feel they are. It would seem odd to transition, get the boobs and butts and boots of a lady but keep a male name. Most likely her name is just to show how extra special snowflake and unique she is. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

Anyway. No Sir, I don't like it. Apparently yet another modern day young attractive human female. Is it too much to ask for them to do something a wee bit different? I mean atleast have a more mature woman so it doesn't look like some dude running around with his daughter or granddaughter. That worked when it was actually his granddaughter, considerably less so when its some random chick that will invariably want to bone him.

I still want something actually unique for a companion. A true alien, someone from the far past, someone from the far future, someone with a penis, a former enemy, another Timey Wimey Lord, something other then some 20 something modern day human woman.

They changed the Doctor more then his freaking companions and judging by comments they will probably change him more to be black or a she or something. Which I have no problem with. Being a shape shifting kinda alien it means he/she/it whatever can be played by the best person available regardless of skin color or gender. But my point is with the talk of a Doctor who is a minority or woman (or more likely a woman Doctor or minority Doctor) can't we have a different sort of companion. Are they still going to have a young pretty human girl when the Doctor is a woman too or switch it to a young pretty human boy?

Ehh, I'm probably overthinking this and injecting my frustrations into this casting, Bill will probably be fine and probably lead to some hilarious Bill Dauterive mash-ups. And male or female, damn dirty alien or some Londonistan human, none of it will matter much anyone because of the problems (atleast in my opinion) of the writing of the Doctor and the Companions.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Joun_Lord wrote:I doubt she is transsexual considering, as far as I know but could be wrong, when transgender people transition to their proper gender they tend to take new names more in line with the gender they feel they are. It would seem odd to transition, get the boobs and butts and boots of a lady but keep a male name. Most likely her name is just to show how extra special snowflake and unique she is. Could be wrong but I doubt it.
Kind of stereotyping here, aren't you?

I mean, I'm hardly an expert on transgender people, but:

a) She could have changed from male to female and decided to keep her name. No rule saying you can't, even if it may be uncommon.
b) She may identify as male and have changed her name, but not gotten surgery (or at least not yet).

But I doubt she's transgender and hope she isn't. Not because I object to having a transgender companion, but because I'd love to just see a woman named Bill, because gender naming conventions are arbitrary and silly.
Anyway. No Sir, I don't like it. Apparently yet another modern day young attractive human female. Is it too much to ask for them to do something a wee bit different? I mean atleast have a more mature woman so it doesn't look like some dude running around with his daughter or granddaughter. That worked when it was actually his granddaughter, considerably less so when its some random chick that will invariably want to bone him.
Well, we don't yet know much about Bill.

Also, I don't assume that she'll want to have sex with the Doctor. Not all the new series companions, even, have. Even Clara and Amy got over that impulse, it seemed.

Finally, who cares about an age gap in a sexual relationship as long as its consensual (which obviously includes all parties being adults)?
I still want something actually unique for a companion. A true alien, someone from the far past, someone from the far future, someone with a penis, a former enemy, another Timey Wimey Lord, something other then some 20 something modern day human woman.
I'd like a bit more diversity in companion origins, but I will note that two characters who broadly share the same background can still have radically different lives and personalities.

Perhaps the most worrying sign, to me, is the rapid-fire style of delivering dialog she seems to be using. Does Moffat know how to write it any other way? :banghead:
They changed the Doctor more then his freaking companions and judging by comments they will probably change him more to be black or a she or something. Which I have no problem with. Being a shape shifting kinda alien it means he/she/it whatever can be played by the best person available regardless of skin color or gender. But my point is with the talk of a Doctor who is a minority or woman (or more likely a woman Doctor or minority Doctor) can't we have a different sort of companion. Are they still going to have a young pretty human girl when the Doctor is a woman too or switch it to a young pretty human boy?
Well, as I said above, it makes a certain amount of sense for the companion to be the opposite gender to the Doctor when you only have one, because otherwise your entire main cast is the same gender. Though this is a reason why I favour more than one companion at a time.

Oh Amy and Rory, how I miss you. :(
Ehh, I'm probably overthinking this and injecting my frustrations into this casting, Bill will probably be fine and probably lead to some hilarious Bill Dauterive mash-ups.
:lol:

Someone ought to write a Doctor Who/King of the Hill crossover, if they haven't already.
And male or female, damn dirty alien or some Londonistan human, none of it will matter much anyone because of the problems (atleast in my opinion) of the writing of the Doctor and the Companions.
Well, ultimately, it'll succeed or fail on the quality of the writing and acting, as always.

At least Capaldi's a good actor, and Pearl seems okay from the introductory clip, even if her IMDB resume is very short (as far as I can tell, she is only credited with two previous roles, and neither of them is huge). Though actually, that may be a good sign, as it suggests that she may have gotten the role on the strength of her performance, rather than an established reputation/name recognition.

Plus its always nice when a newcomer gets a break.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Kind of stereotyping here, aren't you?

I mean, I'm hardly an expert on transgender people, but:

a) She could have changed from male to female and decided to keep her name. No rule saying you can't, even if it may be uncommon.
b) She may identify as male and have changed her name, but not gotten surgery (or at least not yet).

But I doubt she's transgender and hope she isn't. Not because I object to having a transgender companion, but because I'd love to just see a woman named Bill, because gender naming conventions are arbitrary and silly.
Its not a stereotype, its an informed observation based on previous data. Seriously though, I'm no expert either, I've know a few who were openly transitioning but emphasis on the few, so as I said I could be wrong. But from my limited experiences and what I've seen in the media with transgender people like Cait Jenner, the sexy Laverne Cox, Chaz Bono, and the Wachoski sisters all changed their name to match their appearance.

I have no objection to a transgender companion either (why would anyone really?) and think it could make for an interesting dynamic (the Doctor who has his appearance changed by force hanging with a person who voluntarily did so, even a terrible cliche ridden writer such as myself could probably find something interesting with that), however I doubt Bill is transgender solely for the fact it doesn't seem like the writers want to move out of their comfort zone when it comes to companions. Even the name is probably just relying on tired old cliches by giving a character a unique trait rather then trying to make them unique.
Well, we don't yet know much about Bill.

Also, I don't assume that she'll want to have sex with the Doctor. Not all the new series companions, even, have. Even Clara and Amy got over that impulse, it seemed.

Finally, who cares about an age gap in a sexual relationship as long as its consensual (which obviously includes all parties being adults)?
We do not know really anything about Bill beyond she asks more question then my gaggle of nephews and nieces though to be fair most anyone would be asking questions in that situation, is actually nice for someone to ask a few questions rather then just following blindly. However we do know the formula employed by previous companions, human woman who wants to frack the Doc, is something special bordering on Mary Sue at times and is usually written into a corner. I think the only one who escapes that is Martha and she had to make the conscious decision not to want to bone the Doctor. Maybe Donna too didn't want to jump the Doctor, I honestly cannot remember, but she certainly had the special thing down pat with the Doctor-Donna crap.

There is nothing wrong with a May-December romance in my opinion some people are quite put off by what they perceive to be a creepy old man perving on a young girl. Its like the relationship between Bella and Edward but like 10 times worse, Edward was only like a hundred while the Doctor is like a thousand or two thousand or something, he's freaking ancient is my point. He ain't robbing the cradle, the girls are robbing the museum. Now of course it was always that way (I think he was older then Edward the 1st time we met him with Susan) but it was harder for people to be freaked out about it when he looked the same age or younger then his companions.

And besides, the romance bullshit has been done to death and wasn't even that good to begin with.
I'd like a bit more diversity in companion origins, but I will note that two characters who broadly share the same background can still have radically different lives and personalities.

Perhaps the most worrying sign, to me, is the rapid-fire style of delivering dialog she seems to be using. Does Moffat know how to write it any other way? :banghead:
The diversity in their origins matters little because like the dialog Moffat has trouble writing differently from how he is set. Take for instance Clara and Amy, they should have been pretty different but honestly felt almost identical. You could have swapped either one out for most of the stories without much change. Characters should not be so interchangeable even on Doctor Who.
Well, as I said above, it makes a certain amount of sense for the companion to be the opposite gender to the Doctor when you only have one, because otherwise your entire main cast is the same gender. Though this is a reason why I favour more than one companion at a time.
There should be nothing wrong with the main cast being the same gender beyond the fact the writers would maybe have to write something other then goo-goo eyed young girl enchanted by the Doctor. Maybe. The Doctor didn't exactly seem bothered by Cap'n Jack coming onto him and it is the Current Year so having a homosexual relationship on tv wouldn't be out of the question.

But yeah, if they don't want it to be a sausage or taco fest they need more then one companion. Or even have more then one Doctor sort of, there are other Time Lords, put one on the Tardis to shake up the dynamic. Which is the main thing I want, something different to shake up the stale dynamic.
Someone ought to write a Doctor Who/King of the Hill crossover, if they haven't already.
I'm sure it probably exists. This is the internet after all, strange crossover fics have happened. There is apparently and X-Files/My Little Pony crossover and a Spongebob/Twilight crossover.
Well, ultimately, it'll succeed or fail on the quality of the writing and acting, as always.

At least Capaldi's a good actor, and Pearl seems okay from the introductory clip, even if her IMDB resume is very short (as far as I can tell, she is only credited with two previous roles, and neither of them is huge). Though actually, that may be a good sign, as it suggests that she may have gotten the role on the strength of her performance, rather than an established reputation/name recognition.

Plus its always nice when a newcomer gets a break.
My main problem is the writing. The writing has been really freaking sub-par, atleast in my opinion, in recent Dr Who. Its gotten really bad for the Capaldi era, which sucks because Capaldi's Dr is fine but the writing he is saddled with is shit. Usually a Doctor will start out fresh and kinda grow stale as they go on but it seems like Capaldi never got the fresh period, he was a continuation of the staleness of the end of Matt Smith's era. Maybe it was were Clara stayed on but I don't recall the same problem with Rose when 10 was first wibbly wobbling round time.

Moffat has just really hit a wall when it comes to writing. He's a bit like Berman and Braga on Trek where they started out strong but as time went on they were churning out dull crap after years of writing on the same show. Now nothing quite so bad as the ending of Enterprise by Moffat but still compared to his earlier works his current crap is crap.

I think the best thing for Doctor Who is a new head writer. The same problem was happening with RTD back in 00s, his work had gotten stale as frell.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Joun_Lord wrote:Its not a stereotype, its an informed observation based on previous data. Seriously though, I'm no expert either, I've know a few who were openly transitioning but emphasis on the few, so as I said I could be wrong. But from my limited experiences and what I've seen in the media with transgender people like Cait Jenner, the sexy Laverne Cox, Chaz Bono, and the Wachoski sisters all changed their name to match their appearance.
Well, that does seem the norm. But like you just acknowledged, I would expect individual variations, as always.
I have no objection to a transgender companion either (why would anyone really?)
Narrow-minded, prejudiced idiocy. Or fear of how those with narrow-minded prejudice would react.
and think it could make for an interesting dynamic (the Doctor who has his appearance changed by force hanging with a person who voluntarily did so, even a terrible cliche ridden writer such as myself could probably find something interesting with that),
That is an excellent point.

Thematically, identity, and changing elements of ones' identity, is a key element of Doctor Who.
however I doubt Bill is transgender solely for the fact it doesn't seem like the writers want to move out of their comfort zone when it comes to companions. Even the name is probably just relying on tired old cliches by giving a character a unique trait rather then trying to make them unique.
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I'm hoping Moffat's departure will eventually shake things up, in any case.
We do not know really anything about Bill beyond she asks more question then my gaggle of nephews and nieces though to be fair most anyone would be asking questions in that situation, is actually nice for someone to ask a few questions rather then just following blindly. However we do know the formula employed by previous companions, human woman who wants to frack the Doc, is something special bordering on Mary Sue at times and is usually written into a corner. I think the only one who escapes that is Martha and she had to make the conscious decision not to want to bone the Doctor. Maybe Donna too didn't want to jump the Doctor, I honestly cannot remember, but she certainly had the special thing down pat with the Doctor-Donna crap.
I don't think Donna was much of a love interest.

And aren't you forgetting his awesomeness, Rory "the Last Centurion" Williams/Pond? :wink:
There is nothing wrong with a May-December romance in my opinion some people are quite put off by what they perceive to be a creepy old man perving on a young girl. Its like the relationship between Bella and Edward but like 10 times worse, Edward was only like a hundred while the Doctor is like a thousand or two thousand or something, he's freaking ancient is my point. He ain't robbing the cradle, the girls are robbing the museum. Now of course it was always that way (I think he was older then Edward the 1st time we met him with Susan) but it was harder for people to be freaked out about it when he looked the same age or younger then his companions.
People should put more of a focus on substance rather than appearance.

In any case, Edward and Bella isn't creepy because Edward is much older. Its creepy because (among other reasons), Bella is an adolescent (correct me if I'm wrong- I've never actually read/watched Twilight).
And besides, the romance bullshit has been done to death and wasn't even that good to begin with.
I don't mind romance as much as I used to, but I wouldn't want it to take over the show or be done in a pandering/exploitative way.

It should stay firmly in b plot territory.
The diversity in their origins matters little because like the dialog Moffat has trouble writing differently from how he is set. Take for instance Clara and Amy, they should have been pretty different but honestly felt almost identical. You could have swapped either one out for most of the stories without much change. Characters should not be so interchangeable even on Doctor Who.
I don't know. Amy had the whole thing with Rory going on. They may have tried to repeat that with Danny Pink, but sadly, it didn't work out as well.

Although if the main thing that sets a woman apart is their boyfriend, that has its own sexist implications.
There should be nothing wrong with the main cast being the same gender beyond the fact the writers would maybe have to write something other then goo-goo eyed young girl enchanted by the Doctor. Maybe. The Doctor didn't exactly seem bothered by Cap'n Jack coming onto him and it is the Current Year so having a homosexual relationship on tv wouldn't be out of the question.
Well, you want a bit of diversity in your main cast, generally. There are a lot of ways to do that, of course, but I like the idea of a companion who contrasts sharply with the Doctor.

Part of Clara's problem is that she was too much like the Doctor (personality-wise, I mean), or at least his worst qualities. Moffat acknowledged that in her departure, though since he did it himself...

But yes, the Doctor having a gay love wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It would have, once. But it seems pretty ingrained in the character now for that to be a possibility.
But yeah, if they don't want it to be a sausage or taco fest they need more then one companion. Or even have more then one Doctor sort of, there are other Time Lords, put one on the Tardis to shake up the dynamic. Which is the main thing I want, something different to shake up the stale dynamic.
One thing I've thought for a while is that they should go back to two companions, one male and one female. Either a couple or a brother and sister.
I'm sure it probably exists. This is the internet after all, strange crossover fics have happened. There is apparently and X-Files/My Little Pony crossover and a Spongebob/Twilight crossover.
Well, I checked Fanfiction.net. Zip.
My main problem is the writing. The writing has been really freaking sub-par, atleast in my opinion, in recent Dr Who. Its gotten really bad for the Capaldi era, which sucks because Capaldi's Dr is fine but the writing he is saddled with is shit. Usually a Doctor will start out fresh and kinda grow stale as they go on but it seems like Capaldi never got the fresh period, he was a continuation of the staleness of the end of Matt Smith's era. Maybe it was were Clara stayed on but I don't recall the same problem with Rose when 10 was first wibbly wobbling round time.

Moffat has just really hit a wall when it comes to writing. He's a bit like Berman and Braga on Trek where they started out strong but as time went on they were churning out dull crap after years of writing on the same show. Now nothing quite so bad as the ending of Enterprise by Moffat but still compared to his earlier works his current crap is crap.

I think the best thing for Doctor Who is a new head writer. The same problem was happening with RTD back in 00s, his work had gotten stale as frell.
I'm not sure even Moffat deserves a B and B comparison.

But yes, Moffat has written mostly crap of late. The last three episodes of last season had some really good bits (and some really bad bits), but it all got bogged down with the hideous botching of Clara's departure. The last really good one was Day of the Doctor, back in 2013. Though to give credit where its due, Moffat delivered when it most counted (the 50th. anniversary).

Its not just that its stale. Its that Moffat is repetitive, unable or unwilling to write likeable characters or a coherent plot, and self-indulgent/trying to have his cake and eat it too (see both Rory and Amy and Clara's departure, where he tried to write a tragic death and a happily ever after and awkwardly shove them together). And one gets the sense that he has an entirely inflated opinion of his own cleverness.

Fuck him.

And yes, its a real shame for Capaldi, who is a fine actor who deserves better scripts. Doctor Who has been blessed in that I don't think we've ever actually had a bad actor as the star. Just bad writers and executive asshats holding the actors back.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, that does seem the norm. But like you just acknowledged, I would expect individual variations, as always.
Very true, its entirely possible for someone to choose to not change their name. People are individuals and will not follow the norm, a transgender person might keep their old name. It just seems like a really rare thing to happen.
Narrow-minded, prejudiced idiocy. Or fear of how those with narrow-minded prejudice would react.
One should not cater to narrow minded prejudiced idiocy. Though I supposed its true some TV producers probably have to walk a tight rope and avoid any overt LGBTWTFBBQ stuff especially in the US, to cater to the narrow minded idiocy to not alienate their audience. Look at that kerfuffle over the hands holding ending of Avatar Part 2 Electric Boogaloo. I would think Brits would not have the problem so bad though, they seem vaguely more enlightened on LBGT issues then we boorish American'ts. Also I don't get to say kerfuffle nearly enough.
That is an excellent point.

Thematically, identity, and changing elements of ones' identity, is a key element of Doctor Who.
You put if far better then I could have. And why I'm so big on harping on former villains becoming friends or even companions. The Doctor can change, his face, his identity, his morals surely then a Dalek or Cyberperson could do the same? And I think the Doc should be the one showing them how, as Ian showed him how to be more human.
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I'm hoping Moffat's departure will eventually shake things up, in any case.
Moffat's exit stage left should hopefully help but while he still has the reins its going to be tired cliched garbage.
I don't think Donna was much of a love interest.

And aren't you forgetting his awesomeness, Rory "the Last Centurion" Williams/Pond? :wink:
Like I said, I don't even come close to remembering if Donna wanted to play with the Doc's sonic screwdriver.

As for Rory, he filled the "plus one" slot rather then an actual companion. He was like the companion of the companion much like Mickey or Rickey and that one shot computer headed bozo. Remove the actual companion and they have no place on the Tardis.
People should put more of a focus on substance rather than appearance.

In any case, Edward and Bella isn't creepy because Edward is much older. Its creepy because (among other reasons), Bella is an adolescent (correct me if I'm wrong- I've never actually read/watched Twilight).
Being a visual medium there is alot of importance on appearance. Certainly the fact the companions especially the young girls have been attractive (especially Amy but I'm a sucker for red headed women and women with Scottish accents, so there was no contest for me) should make that obvious. The show runners want to make the show visually appealing. And for alot of people some old dude with a much younger woman seems creepy, the whole dirty grandpa vibes and all. Not wanting to show it is appealing to narrow minded idiocy but again they might have to or risk alienating people.

I honestly don't know about Bella's age, never read the book and wouldn't even touch the damnable thing if I didn't need to for work. I do know she is a high school student but she could be 18 and in some areas thats not even the age of consent.
I don't mind romance as much as I used to, but I wouldn't want it to take over the show or be done in a pandering/exploitative way.

It should stay firmly in b plot territory.
I agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of romance junk but I'm not like some teen who completely loses his shit over romance crap. I just don't prefer it especially in some whiz bang fantastical space and time flying telephone booth adventure. If done well and not taking over the show I might even enjoy it bit don't want it to be the focus.
I don't know. Amy had the whole thing with Rory going on. They may have tried to repeat that with Danny Pink, but sadly, it didn't work out as well.

Although if the main thing that sets a woman apart is their boyfriend, that has its own sexist implications.
Rory for a great deal of her run was a secondary thing, not as bad as poor Danny. He was closer to Mickey, he actually got to be a minor companion and a small impact on their travels. But still he was mostly a non-entity until the last of Amy's run. It would have been only to easy to make Clara exactly like Amy with a hanger on boyfriend schlepping around in the Tardis making reverse quantum Time Lord babies but apparently somebody hated Danny or something, dude did not catch a break.

But yeah, that was about the only real difference, Amy's boyfriend got to ride the Tardis. Clara's got ridden over.
Well, you want a bit of diversity in your main cast, generally. There are a lot of ways to do that, of course, but I like the idea of a companion who contrasts sharply with the Doctor.

Part of Clara's problem is that she was too much like the Doctor (personality-wise, I mean), or at least his worst qualities. Moffat acknowledged that in her departure, though since he did it himself...

But yes, the Doctor having a gay love wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It would have, once. But it seems pretty ingrained in the character now for that to be a possibility.
Diversity is good, a companion who contrasts with the Doctor better. One of the reasons I want something otherworldly.

That is indeed why Clara didn't work. She was not like the Doctor, she practically was the Doctor at times. For better or worse the show is about the Doctor and companions. Having two Doctors really didn't work. Now having an equal could work, someone like the Doctor who can be his match. But they have to be different enough to be interesting.
One thing I've thought for a while is that they should go back to two companions, one male and one female. Either a couple or a brother and sister.
That would probably work. Maybe not go back when he practically had an entourage (though even that can work if done well) but having more then one companion could certainly create some more interesting dynamics. But they need to be two companions, not a companion and some hanger on.
Well, I checked Fanfiction.net. Zip.

I don't know if I should be glad or not.
I'm not sure even Moffat deserves a B and B comparison.

But yes, Moffat has written mostly crap of late. The last three episodes of last season had some really good bits (and some really bad bits), but it all got bogged down with the hideous botching of Clara's departure. The last really good one was Day of the Doctor, back in 2013. Though to give credit where its due, Moffat delivered when it most counted (the 50th. anniversary).

Its not just that its stale. Its that Moffat is repetitive, unable or unwilling to write likeable characters or a coherent plot, and self-indulgent/trying to have his cake and eat it too (see both Rory and Amy and Clara's departure, where he tried to write a tragic death and a happily ever after and awkwardly shove them together). And one gets the sense that he has an entirely inflated opinion of his own cleverness.

Fuck him.

And yes, its a real shame for Capaldi, who is a fine actor who deserves better scripts. Doctor Who has been blessed in that I don't think we've ever actually had a bad actor as the star. Just bad writers and executive asshats holding the actors back.
Well like I said, he's not as bad as them. All the bullshit he's done cannot compare to the failure of the magnitude of the Enterprise finale or the fucking hippies space elves movie or the fucking bullshit ass clone Picard movie.

I pretty much agree with you about everything else.

Moffat can make some really good stories, some of the best of Nu-Who but with having to run the show and still shit out scripts his talents took a nose dive like a drunk redneck into a kiddy pool. And to compare him again to Berman and Braga, they were much the same way. Braga made some truly excellent stuff like Cause and Effect, Parallels, and All Good Things. Berman did episodes like Brothers and A Matter of Time. But then they started doing too much, juggling too many pies and they started dropping shit, quality when down the crapper. Probably the same thing happened to Ronald D Moore, started out great and then gave us shit like most of the back half of Neo-BSG with such stupid shit as finding a prehistoric earth, magic angel Starbuck, the final fucking five, a bunch of courtroom and political drama because apparently he was a fan of Episode 1, and more crap I probably blocked out of my memory.

Moffat on a leash can make some excellent stuff. Moffat unleashed, unchained and unrestrained as he is now make mostly garbage.

It just really fucking sucks Capaldi was brought on when Moffat is going through his crap phase. He is kinda in the same boat as Scott Bakula, another good actor unfortunately entering a franchise when the lead writer had moved away from writing and into defecating. They should make Scott Bakula the next Doctor, that would be awesome. Though I think while people could handle a black, gay, or female Doctor they might riot at an American one.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Joun_Lord wrote:One should not cater to narrow minded prejudiced idiocy. Though I supposed its true some TV producers probably have to walk a tight rope and avoid any overt LGBTWTFBBQ stuff especially in the US, to cater to the narrow minded idiocy to not alienate their audience. Look at that kerfuffle over the hands holding ending of Avatar Part 2 Electric Boogaloo. I would think Brits would not have the problem so bad though, they seem vaguely more enlightened on LBGT issues then we boorish American'ts. Also I don't get to say kerfuffle nearly enough.
Hey, I'm not condoning it. Just pointing out that their really is no good reason, only bad ones.

That said, I don't think Doctor Who's staff particularly gives a shit, since they've done such things as a close up on an interspecies lesbian kiss.
You put if far better then I could have. And why I'm so big on harping on former villains becoming friends or even companions. The Doctor can change, his face, his identity, his morals surely then a Dalek or Cyberperson could do the same? And I think the Doc should be the one showing them how, as Ian showed him how to be more human.
I am firmly in the "Clara should have been Dalek Clara" camp, and consider that whole thing a bait and switch that I still hold against Moffat.
Moffat's exit stage left should hopefully help but while he still has the reins its going to be tired cliched garbage.
Probably.
Like I said, I don't even come close to remembering if Donna wanted to play with the Doc's sonic screwdriver.

As for Rory, he filled the "plus one" slot rather then an actual companion. He was like the companion of the companion much like Mickey or Rickey and that one shot computer headed bozo. Remove the actual companion and they have no place on the Tardis.
Now, I don't think that's fair.

I agree that Rory probably wouldn't have traveled with the Doctor without Amy, but not because he had nothing to contribute. Its because he found it dangerous and only came along because Amy insisted, and he loved Amy.

I think Rory had the potential to be an excellent foil to the Doctor, and the moments where they focussed on that, or on his time as the Centurion, were sometimes very strong.
Being a visual medium there is alot of importance on appearance. Certainly the fact the companions especially the young girls have been attractive (especially Amy but I'm a sucker for red headed women and women with Scottish accents, so there was no contest for me) should make that obvious. The show runners want to make the show visually appealing. And for alot of people some old dude with a much younger woman seems creepy, the whole dirty grandpa vibes and all. Not wanting to show it is appealing to narrow minded idiocy but again they might have to or risk alienating people.
Perhaps. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
I honestly don't know about Bella's age, never read the book and wouldn't even touch the damnable thing if I didn't need to for work. I do know she is a high school student but she could be 18 and in some areas thats not even the age of consent.
Ugg, you made me Google Twilight.

Apparently Bella is 17 in book one. That's... legal in Canada and parts of the US, but a bit on the dodgy side. It would be illegal in some places. I feel like I can't complain too much though, because I'm a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan and Buffy was 17 when she screwed Angel (although I consider their romance one of the worst aspects of the show, which is otherwise mostly well-written- unlike Twilight's reputation for being shit).

Either way, plenty of other reasons to hate Twilight.
Rory for a great deal of her run was a secondary thing, not as bad as poor Danny. He was closer to Mickey, he actually got to be a minor companion and a small impact on their travels. But still he was mostly a non-entity until the last of Amy's run. It would have been only to easy to make Clara exactly like Amy with a hanger on boyfriend schlepping around in the Tardis making reverse quantum Time Lord babies but apparently somebody hated Danny or something, dude did not catch a break.

But yeah, that was about the only real difference, Amy's boyfriend got to ride the Tardis. Clara's got ridden over.
I don't think that's quite fair, and to be blunt, I find it a bit sexist. Their are some other differences between Amy and Clara, and moreover I think you are downplaying Rory's contributions considerably. "The Big Bang"? "A Good Man Goes to War"? "The Girl Who Waited"?

I do think Danny was embarrassingly wasted.
Diversity is good, a companion who contrasts with the Doctor better. One of the reasons I want something otherworldly.

That is indeed why Clara didn't work. She was not like the Doctor, she practically was the Doctor at times. For better or worse the show is about the Doctor and companions. Having two Doctors really didn't work. Now having an equal could work, someone like the Doctor who can be his match. But they have to be different enough to be interesting.
Another Time Lord with the Doctor again would be nice.

Edit: I think, to elaborate on the differences between Amy and Rory, that one of the most important is that Amy acted more often as a check on the Doctor's dark side as opposed to bringing it out (Day of the Doctor aside, anyway).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

To me, what I want from a companion is basically as follows (a lot of this I've said before):

1. Something new in terms of backstory. Now, you could make another young human woman from modern England unique, of course, but why just repeat the same kind of background like that? In particular, a Time Lord or Dalek companion, as discussed above. My absolute top choice would be to bring the Doctor's clone daughter back.

2. Someone who contrasts with the Doctor sharply, but also has similarities to him (like Rory, for example). Appearance, personality, background, whatever.

3. Someone who's bad ass and amazing, but not because of fate or some contrived gimmick/superpower. Someone who's awesome because they're smart and kind and brave. Kind of like Martha, maybe.

4. Someone who's personality is radically different from the old gratuitously quirky fast-talker approach.

5. Someone who will call the Doctor out. Like Donna said, the Doctor needs someone to stop him.

6. Someone who is either not romantic with the Doctor, or not romantic in a contrived or creepy way. Romance is hard to write well, so probably better not to do it.

Edit: Lastly, when they leave, let's not make it some contrived melodrama where the Doctor goes dark in a futile bid to prevent their death or something like that. And especially don't do that and then also try to make it happily ever after at the same time (like Moffat with Rory, Amy, and Clara).

I'd like to see a companion who travels with the Doctor and then just moves on without a big fuss because they've got different priorities. It can be sad, but not some over the top melodramatic tragedy. Like Martha.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

You know her name could just be short (and slightly mispronounced) for Belinda.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Wouldn't surprise me.

Best would be if its basically just "Hey, my name is Bill. So what if I'm a girl?"
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Considering the first new Who companion was played by an actor called Billie Piper, I'd have thought people would have found it easy to make the logical leap that Bill could be short-hand for a longer name. Wilhelmena, perhaps.

As for the clip, it wasn't promising - she had a fairly gormless delivery, perhaps to show a complete contrast to Little Miss Know-it-all. Let's wait and see though.
What is WRONG with you people
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

For me, the problem was that the character seemed to have set foot off the set of The Curse of Fatal Death and somehow ended up in an actual episode of Doctor Who. In fact, there's part of me that wonders whether Moffat wanted off the series after last year, but Chris Chibnall wasn't available until 2018, and now we're seeing his fatigue with the series come out in the form of sending it up.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hillary wrote:Considering the first new Who companion was played by an actor called Billie Piper, I'd have thought people would have found it easy to make the logical leap that Bill could be short-hand for a longer name. Wilhelmena, perhaps.

As for the clip, it wasn't promising - she had a fairly gormless delivery, perhaps to show a complete contrast to Little Miss Know-it-all. Let's wait and see though.
I guess she could be Billie/Wilhelmena.

As for the clip... mediocre Moffat fare. Not horrible. Not brilliant.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

IIRC there was no romance in the Doctor - Donna relationship, and whenever someone asked if they were a couple they literally laughed at the concept (and not in that awkward "yes we sort of are" kind of way). The 10th Doctor considered Donna to be his best friend, and has for Donna, she went with him partially because she was ready for an adventure and partially because she knew the Doctor needed someone to keep him in check; her "if you can't save them all at least save one!" speech comes to mind. She also had no problems going off and doing her own thing, like when she opted to stay in the hotel in "Midnight". At the time I found her to be pretty annoying but I've come to appreciate her relationship with the Doctor and I now think it was one of the better ones, at least in the new series.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I saw this new companion and thought "oh, look, Clara's smart-assed student, Courtney, all grown up!"
Courtney Woods wrote:One small step for a thing, one giant step for a thingy thing!"
Please spare us from more dialog like that!

The big issue I had with Donna was when they ret-conned so much in Turn Left. The Earth was at risk in Voyage of the Damned, not just London. No Donna = no Doctor (The Runaway Bride) = no Earth! Also: the presumption that the alternate girl the Racnoss Queen would have used for the particle-incubator wouldn't have been a suitable companion, even as a one-shot bit. I honestly don't feel Donna was unique.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Khaat wrote:I saw this new companion and thought "oh, look, Clara's smart-assed student, Courtney, all grown up!"
Courtney Woods wrote:One small step for a thing, one giant step for a thingy thing!"
Please spare us from more dialog like that!

The big issue I had with Donna was when they ret-conned so much in Turn Left. The Earth was at risk in Voyage of the Damned, not just London. No Donna = no Doctor (The Runaway Bride) = no Earth! Also: the presumption that the alternate girl the Racnoss Queen would have used for the particle-incubator wouldn't have been a suitable companion, even as a one-shot bit. I honestly don't feel Donna was unique.
I think I've seen this comparison before, and truth be told, I have a real problem with it.

Other than Moffat's general tendency to write various different characters in a gratingly similar manner (thank God he's leaving), is their any particular similarity other than the fact that they're both black?

Because when I see this, it honestly comes off as "All dem black folk are alike." I know that's probably not the intent, but it seems that, if only subconsciously, people see her and immediately think "Oh, she must be the same as that other black girl."
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

The rapid-fire speech, the casual "yeah, you may be very obviously scared (and might eventually relate the reason to me), but I think this is all a hoot!"

It's "tourist face" more than anything else that made me think of Courtney.

[edit] Sorry: "tourist face": the oblivious-to-others'-emotional-reactions (say, fear), "oh look at all the new!", and the "let me ignore you in this serious moment"-ism
Last edited by Khaat on 2016-04-28 03:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.