The SGC accept Eurondan help(RAR)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

The SGC accept Eurondan help(RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

In the season 4 Stargate episode, The Other Side, SG1 rejects Eurondan help and actively ensures their defeat due to the Eurondan's racial preferences and near fascist overtones. Alar, their leader, even after their defeat, is ensured to be killed by O'Neill so that their technology doesn't make it through.

So, in this scenario, let's say one of two things happen. Either:

A. Jack leaves his moral compass behind, and let's the trade deal continue, further ensuring that there is trade for their technology in exchange for heavy water.

Or

B. Jack let's Alar get through along with the fancy alien USB drives of all their tech.

What happens from that point onward, for the SGC, the US government, world politics, technology, and their dealings with the rest of the galaxy?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: The SGC accept Eurondan help(RAR)

Post by Elheru Aran »

Refresh my memory; weren't these the space Nazi types who basically drone-striked their enemies?

The only really fancy thing that I remember them having was the drone technology. The SG Wiki mentions a cure-all medication and stasis chambers, as well as fancy liquid information or whatever.

The medication is the most immediately useful technology, provided that Earth has the capability to reproduce it. The stasis chambers... meh. The liquid information... cool, but also meh, as it could be more difficult to adapt than our already useful information storage unless it's one of those ridiculous "can store the Internet on a 2-inch piece of plastic" kind of things and in that case... why? The specific unit was only valuable as it had information on Eurondan technology in general. As a specific technology, it wasn't *that* important. Granted, SG-1 was early 00's, terabyte drives and high-GB thumb drives are still a decade or so in the future. Even so.

They do have a "defense field", which appears to be some sort of theater shield. Nothing indicates that it's particularly different from Goa'uld shield technology except that it's strong enough to resist attack from the space-Allies. Perhaps there's some component to Goa'uld shields that prevent them from being used in atmosphere (unlikely IMO)?

So... all told... I'm not hugely impressed.

That said: The defense field technology *could* be useful. The drone technology might have applications; we know they can send a MALP through the Stargate and see what's on the other side, so in theory they could just send a drone through the Stargate (provided there's nothing on the other side to prevent it from flying out, of course, like being in a cave or building). In fact I think they *do* send a drone up every now and then... the Eurondan drone-piloting technology seems superior as it's more immersive, more like piloting an actual manned aircraft, but translating the alien technology to modern-day Earth tech would be the roadblock.

There is a reason why Prometheus took until the sixth season to come together, after all... (god I loved that little ship)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

They also had fusion tech, which just required heavy water for use.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Without knowing some more precise details about their tech, we can only go with what's on screen.

The data device probably represents a leap forward in data storage.
I would assume a matching increase in computer power and capabilities.

They Eurodan's might have anti-gravity technology. That would be a boast.

Cold Fusion would be a godsend for power generation and the environment. Literally, generate all the power we need from sea water. Wow.
The environmental benefits of that can't be overstated. We'd could completely eliminate fossil fuel usage for large scale power generation, possibly entirely.

The Energy shield tech would be useful, of course.

However, considering the help the Asgard end up giving Earth (prometheus's shields and weapons, then the data core eventually), unless having an agreement with the Eurodan's pisses the Asgard off, I can't see a huge long-term change.

After all, Thor trumps racists :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Elheru Aran wrote:Refresh my memory; weren't these the space Nazi types who basically drone-striked their enemies?
No these were the space Nazi types who used mass deployment of chemical weapons to try to wipe out the rest of the planet.
The drones were being used as a last ditch stand to block attacks from the survivors of the attempted global genocide.
Elheru Aran wrote:There is a reason why Prometheus took until the sixth season to come together, after all... (god I loved that little ship)
She was a beaut wasn't she? I know they got bigger and badder ships later on but Prometheus pretty much summed up SG-1; cobbled together from disparate parts that shouldn't have worked together, but they made it work anyway; going up against a technologically superior enemy, but bollocks to it we're doing it anyway.

To answer the OP neither option is happening, these arseholes are space Nazis with the dial turned up to eleven, O'Neill's moral compass is not going to fail nor is he going to allow space Hitlers son to escape the retribution of the genocide survivors. You have no understanding of his character if you believe for a second that those are viable options.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Darth Nostril wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Refresh my memory; weren't these the space Nazi types who basically drone-striked their enemies?
No these were the space Nazi types who used mass deployment of chemical weapons to try to wipe out the rest of the planet.
The drones were being used as a last ditch stand to block attacks from the survivors of the attempted global genocide.
Elheru Aran wrote:There is a reason why Prometheus took until the sixth season to come together, after all... (god I loved that little ship)
She was a beaut wasn't she? I know they got bigger and badder ships later on but Prometheus pretty much summed up SG-1; cobbled together from disparate parts that shouldn't have worked together, but they made it work anyway; going up against a technologically superior enemy, but bollocks to it we're doing it anyway.

To answer the OP neither option is happening, these arseholes are space Nazis with the dial turned up to eleven, O'Neill's moral compass is not going to fail nor is he going to allow space Hitlers son to escape the retribution of the genocide survivors. You have no understanding of his character if you believe for a second that those are viable options.
Couldn't they Operation Paperclip it to get that sweet drone and fusion technology? After all, there's nothing against them putting Alar in a cell after he's unlocked all their knowledge to them.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I think O'Neill and Hammond are too ethical to do something like that. They weren't at the best point during Season 4, but O'Neill still felt it was worth it to cut off relations with the Eurondans.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.