Suggest some hard SF literature

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Suggest some hard SF literature

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I'm currently out of reading material and could use some more to pass the time. I love hard science fiction, can't get enough of it. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

My only stipulations are:

1. No Stephen Baxter.

So toss me whatever suggestions you all have. The more the better!
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Suggest some hard SF literature

Post by Zaune »

It almost goes without saying, but The Martian by Andy Weir. Hard enough SF to impress Neil DeGrasse Tyson, likeable and compelling characters and frequently very funny.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

For a Solarpunk Fan, can't recommended Kim Stanley Robinson enough - his Mars trilogy especially. The science has been slightly outdated, the nitrates on mars weren't fully understood at the time but the evolution of society and technology should suit your tastes. He has also put out a story about generation ships recently, but I've not read it so cannot comment.

Distraction by Bruce Sterling - I loved it, it follows the current trends of a creaking USA into the near future. It was published nearly twenty years ago, and it's astonishing how much he's got right, from social media, to sensors, to political reactions to global warming to the Occupy movement. Oh, and in the Nomads he predicted the maker movement and the solarpunks :). That said, if you hate Stephen Baxter, you probably won't like his writing.

Cecilla Holland 'Floating worlds' is good, but not strictly hard sci-fi. It should be more widely known though, fantastic epic and a warning shot for those who think environmental anarchism will be enough.
In the same line The Humans by Matt Haig dosen't have near future science to be hard sci-fi - the protagonist is basically a god, and rather confused.

Moving towards more general sci-fi
Mind over Ship by David Marusek was wonderful, but is the sequel to Counting Heads, which I have not read and won't review. I won't say much about the Mind over Ship book etiher since I don't know what I may spoiler.
River of Gods and Cyberdad days is probably on the softer side since it deals with AI, but Cyberpunk India is too damn fun to miss.

Not sci-fi, but for hard science and epic tales, I'd reccomend the books by Gerald Durrel - The Bafut Beagles, The Drunken Forest, The Whispering Lands.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Retrieval Artist Series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Start with the first in the series, The Disappeared and if you like it there are a bunch more that followed, 7 stand-alone novels and an 8-book series with a very long story arc.

Redshift Rendezvous by John E. Stith

City of Endless Night by Milo Hastings. Takes place in an alternate future where WWII never happened... because it was written in 1920, before WWII ever happened.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

is that the one with the pigs?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

No.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

madd0ct0r wrote:For a Solarpunk Fan, can't recommended Kim Stanley Robinson enough - his Mars trilogy especially. The science has been slightly outdated, the nitrates on mars weren't fully understood at the time but the evolution of society and technology should suit your tastes. He has also put out a story about generation ships recently, but I've not read it so cannot comment.
One cautionary note about the Mars trilogy, though. Red Mars is very short on sympathetic characters, to the point where I'll be charitable to Robinson and assume this was a deliberate choice on his part to highlight the moral ambiguity inherent to the plot. Some people may like and appreciate that, but I got a bad case of Eight Deadly Words from it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I have read the Mars Trilogy before and it drags a bit too much for my taste. I tried reading other KSR works but I couldn't really get into them (aside from The Years of Rice and Salt, which I haven't finished yet).

Distraction sounds good though!
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Not exactly hard SF, but I recommend Jack Campbell/John Hembry's The Lost Fleet series. The only disconnects I can see in that series for you, Solarpunk, would be the jump drive, the hypernet, and the aliens, but, it should otherwise be hard enough.

For something closer to home space by the same author, there's also the Stark's War series, which is equally good. It takes place almost entirely on Earth's Moon, and features tech only a few years or so out from our own.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Stanislaw Lem

Tales of Pirx the pilot

As hard as it gets i'd say.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, classic, hardest-of-hard scifi and my personal Heinlein favorite.

Except for you know, a computer with 'seven billion bits' of memory becoming self aware, but hey. It was written like 50 years ago.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I second The Lost Fleet. The science is pretty hard for the Space Opera sub-genre and the characters and setting are interesting, relatable and believable. I rate them higher than the Honor Harrington series even before David Weber got Protection From Editors.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Webcomic rather than text book, but I find Schlock Mercenary to be good hard sf (it's got FTL and gravity control, but fairly strongly sticks to physics aside from those 'black boxes,' including things like remembering spaceships have fuel and how light-delay works, etc. etc.). The alien biologies have thought into how they work, and so on.

Which isn't necessarily what one would expect from a comedy-military webcomic, but hey, it's rather great.
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

I've really enjoyed a lot of Greg Egan's work. Mind-bending, in the most literal sense, exploring what it is to be the person you are, and what it might mean to alter that.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Q99 wrote:Webcomic rather than text book, but I find Schlock Mercenary to be good hard sf (it's got FTL and gravity control, but fairly strongly sticks to physics aside from those 'black boxes,' including things like remembering spaceships have fuel and how light-delay works, etc. etc.). The alien biologies have thought into how they work, and so on.

Which isn't necessarily what one would expect from a comedy-military webcomic, but hey, it's rather great.
It's also been around for... geez probably getting close to 15 years, if not past that. So there's a *huge* amount to read through. I don't know if Howard Tayler published any of it as collected editions. Probably. Might be easier to do that.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

ZOmegaZ wrote:I've really enjoyed a lot of Greg Egan's work. Mind-bending, in the most literal sense, exploring what it is to be the person you are, and what it might mean to alter that.
I did enjoy Diaspora, though I heard his later works read too much like physics textbooks.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

SolarpunkFan wrote:
ZOmegaZ wrote:I've really enjoyed a lot of Greg Egan's work. Mind-bending, in the most literal sense, exploring what it is to be the person you are, and what it might mean to alter that.
I did enjoy Diaspora, though I heard his later works read too much like physics textbooks.
Well you can't get much harder than that now can you :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Elheru Aran wrote:Well you can't get much harder than that now can you :P
Touche. :P I'm going to see if I can get my hands on Quarantine though, that sounds interesting.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I dunno if the Quantum Thief trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi qualifies, but it's good stuff. Very ubiquitous transhumanism and information technology, stolen minds, encryption is huge, etc..
Elheru Aran wrote: It's also been around for... geez probably getting close to 15 years, if not past that. So there's a *huge* amount to read through. I don't know if Howard Tayler published any of it as collected editions. Probably. Might be easier to do that.
Yep, the collected editions go all the way up to the 'massively parallel' arc. So almost all of the Hugo-nominated stuff.

And they do help the early-art phase fly by ^^ (The writing was always fairly funny, but the art definitely took time to spin up)
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I believe someone recommended Brin to me in another thread. Got a new short story collection by him at the library. I'll let you all know if it's any good!
matterbeam
Youngling

Post by matterbeam »

A Sword Into darkness by Thomas A. Mays.

It got its Atomic Rockets Approval.
In fact, look here: Atomic Novels
Google + : matterbeamTSF

Hard SF blog: ToughSF

MetaSeed: Worldbuilding and Game Design discussion
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

The Mote in God's Eye

It's got FTL and force fields but it treats physics with respect. Especially the space battles. Which is why a lot of people consider it hard sci-fi.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Here's a short story you might appreciate: Tom Godwin's The Cold Equations.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Rendezvous With Rama. I'm honestly surprised nobody has suggested it yet.

I'd also recommend The Heritage Trilogy (Semper Mars, Luna Marine, and Europa Strike) by Ian Douglas. Pretty hard scifi set in the near future, where alien ruins are found on Mars and the US and EU compete to gain control of them. There's a total of three trilogies in the series, and the first one had me thoroughly hooked by its setting. The second trilogy has much softer science, was more formulaic, and repeated itself a lot. The third trilogy... I quit reading book 8 about halfway through because it was just the same stuff over and over again and it got boring. The culture shock between the marines returning to Earth after decades or even centuries was the only really interesting thing, but instead of exploring it further it was just a plot device to get the marines back into space to fight the evil aliens.

So while the second and third trilogies may or may not interest you, I definitely recommend the first trilogy and its harder setting.

Fallen Angels, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Not only pretty hard scifi, it also features quite a number of real people making cameos, though some names were changed to protect the... "innocent".
Your ad here.