Heroes Reborn

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Heroes Reborn

Post by TimothyC »

I have long held* that there were two really good single season Sci-fi series in the mid 2000s: Heroes and nBSG.

And yet, five (or eight if you go by my above statement) years later, one of them is getting a reprieve.

What the heck man?

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Heroes Reborn

Post by Ted C »

Maybe they'll be able to keep the writing from going to hell this time.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I enjoyed the first episode. I always wanted to see more Evos doing Evo things (Although, the recent glut of superhero movies may be responsible for that.) Just give me a show where people shoot fire and shit at each other all day and have some weirdo powers ala Whatever that movie was with Kurt Russell (sp?) and a weirdo high school in the clouds and also Wonder Woman was the principal.

So anyway, Ep. 1 scratched that itch for me a bit. the one thing I will say, though - They did a poor job of welcoming potential new viewers. MEaning: IF you haven't seen the first run: You're going to be loooooooooooooooooost.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

After the post-S1 Heroes I'm fairly leery of this. I don't know if the writers get how to handle a superhero genre thing- or even just an ongoing story- well enough.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The "transform into a video game character" power is a rather odd one. It would seem to have very limited application.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Depends on the limitations of the transformation.

Full Powered Samus Arun (Metroid) would be incredibly powerful.

And remember, most Marvel and DC comic characters have been in video games....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Solauren wrote:Depends on the limitations of the transformation.

Yes, but her power is presumably only useful in places that have a corresponding analog in the game. It just seems a bizarre ability. Maybe there's more to it than we've seen.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Q99 wrote:After the post-S1 Heroes I'm fairly leery of this. I don't know if the writers get how to handle a superhero genre thing- or even just an ongoing story- well enough.

Same here. It became pretty clear that the writers had no clue on what to do and no larger storyline planned beyond season 1. So I won't give this one the benefit of the doubt.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ted C wrote:
Solauren wrote:Depends on the limitations of the transformation.

Yes, but her power is presumably only useful in places that have a corresponding analog in the game. It just seems a bizarre ability. Maybe there's more to it than we've seen.
That isn't so much as become a video game character, as it is 'anything I can imagine, but my imagination is limited'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Thanas wrote:
Q99 wrote:After the post-S1 Heroes I'm fairly leery of this. I don't know if the writers get how to handle a superhero genre thing- or even just an ongoing story- well enough.

Same here. It became pretty clear that the writers had no clue on what to do and no larger storyline planned beyond season 1. So I won't give this one the benefit of the doubt.
From what I understand, the original idea of the show was that each season would be a self-contained story arc about a set of people with powers. Season 2 was supposed to be about an entirely different set of characters, but producers made them reuse the popular characters from the first season, which explains the massive jumps in characterization and tone for some of the characters, as well as the powers changing drastically.

And the lack of coherent story.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Terralthra wrote:From what I understand, the original idea of the show was that each season would be a self-contained story arc about a set of people with powers. Season 2 was supposed to be about an entirely different set of characters, but producers made them reuse the popular characters from the first season, which explains the massive jumps in characterization and tone for some of the characters, as well as the powers changing drastically.

And the lack of coherent story.
The writers' strike in S2 didn't help, either.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I can't imagine why Bennett would have left his files in an unsecure wrecked building, even if there WAS a ridiculously elaborate book case lock, he wasn't even aware that level 5 was still active, and apparently they had no idea that he was there, or that the criminals were stuck in an observation room for like a whole day... what is going on over there.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok