Zoo: the silliest idea for a TV series in years

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Zoo: the silliest idea for a TV series in years

Post by Zor »

The trailer for the show
The premise is apparently that mammals around the world have decided to unite to kill people around the world. Basically a Zombie Apocalypse but with Lions, Dogs, Wombats and suchlike.

I say this without hyperbole or irony: a better premise would be if people began spontaneously transforming into anthropomorphic animals.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Re: Zoo: the silliest idea for a TV series in years

Post by SAMAS »

So it's The Happening all over again?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

SAMAS wrote:So it's The Happening all over again?
Probably without the unintentional hilariousness that elevates that movie beyond just being a bad movie. The Happenin' is worth a watch just for Marky Mark's performance.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

So basically, people have to start putting down animals en mass - well, I wouldn't be surprised if they presented a few characters that were happy that they could now become "great white hunters" in order "save humanity".

It just seems like a silly premise. Not only that, but animals never "ruled the earth" - all animals were basically in a constant struggle with one another - there was never a point where animals coexisted in some fantasy kingdom a la The Lion King...
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Stupid idea for a show.

Trailer seems to indicate all dogs (not just wolves) rise up against humanity too, which is odd given the 40,000 years of codependency.

The only thing I think could salvage the show is if a pig named Napoleon is the leader of all the animals, or...

...and the animals start rapidly evolving...and this turns out to be a Prequel to After Earth.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

This sounds really awesome and I want to see it
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

And somehow humans forgot the whole "we have big fucking guns" thing, that kinda goes with being the dominant species on this rock

Pass
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I'm sure we had a RAR on here about this... I fail to see the threat from anything other than the insects rising up to wipe us out. Guns beat lions and we have to try really hard not to wipe out most of the bigger animals just though our criminal elements let alone if we were in a war of survival.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

But rats may claw your eyes out while you sleep!!!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Yes I forgot those, after having played Dishonoured you have to respect the rats!
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Why just mammals? It would have been hilarious to see a school of minnows drowning somebody at the beach.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Thinking about this show, it sounds like Maximum Overdrive but with animals instead of machines. I don't know which is a dumber premise, machines rising up against us or animals.

However that actually make me think of another point, why is it every animal/mammal except humans going all kill all humans? If chimps and apes are going psycho, shouldn't people be doing so aswell? Humans aren't much different then chimps, we can even share diseases.

Of course that assumes this is meant to be at all logical. This is probably meant to capitalize on the disaster TV shows that are popular now and possibly zombie shows but with animals in place of zombies. From what I've read about this the animals are all communicating........ somehow with like some nature WIFI or some shit and acting far more intelligent then they should.

The only way to make this not completely stupid is if aliens are controlling the animals like Maximum Overdrive. Then Steven King needs to sue the fuck out of CBS and James Patterson for ripping of his bad idea.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I liked it better when it was called Maximum Overdrive.
Truth fears no trial.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

We have made a pretty good name for ourselves the last few millennium by making every species we encounter our bitch. That's not always a good thing as we get carried away. The premise of this show seems to based on the assumption that if only for the passivity of animals humans would be toast. That's stupid, animals spend all day everyday doing nothing but try their best to conquer every natural obstacle in their way by whatever means at their disposal even if it isn't pursued with our flavor of intelligence. The reality it humans could have clear cut this planet to dead desert and spoiled seas by now regardless of the efforts of any natural force should we have seen fit to do so. Hell, we very nearly did that unintentionally and very well may be on that course anyway.

Now, if you want to give this uprising the whole Pandora intelligence thing that might be interesting. They would still lose any physical confrontation but they could play germ warfare up pretty good via spreading disease via bites, water/food contamination, etc.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I assume birds aren't included because the Birdemic comparisons would be too cutting.
I say this without hyperbole or irony: a better premise would be if people began spontaneously transforming into anthropomorphic animals.
+1 would subscribe to Netflix for.