If Earth 2 had a second season

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

If Earth 2 had a second season

Post by FaxModem1 »

There once was this show called Earth 2, which was pretty much a show about pilgrims trying to explore and settle an alien planet, while dealing with the government from back home's evil plans for colonizing and subjugating the population. It was a slightly weird, but heavily arc focused character show about a band of people learning to work together to accomplish a goal, and only lasted a season.

After that season was wrapped, there was a retool promo made by the producers to show the 'bold' new direction it would have had as it was created

So, if Earth 2 had had a second season, it might have looked this bad:

The long lost promo, now found

Among the concepts that it includes are:

1. "Gone are the continuing story arcs and esoteric concepts". IE, we're sorry our show is too smart and has characters evolving, facing science fiction, and changing over time.

2. Don't worry folks, there's now a MAN in charge, and we won't have that awful Devon ruling and ruining everything with her girly bits.

3. Alonzo gets superstrength, just because.

4. You know how Rebecca Gayheart is hot? Like really hot? We're going to kill off her husband character so she can have a romance of the week.

Compared to this, I'm rather glad the show ended the way it did.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Re: If Earth 2 had a second season

Post by Murazor »

The Guyver was going to kill them? Seems legit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If Earth 2 hadn't gotten a first season TV would have been no worse off. That series was nothing but a waste of time and money.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

My memory's a bit fuzzy on this, am I right in thinking this is different from the SF show that had BRIAN BLESSED playing out of character as a normal human being, i.e. below 90 decibels? :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I remember it. It was too confused and the basic premise of the planet being empty but oh not so empty and important information being unknown wasn't handled well or a good idea. It needed more setup, or a completely different setting. Which might as well be a different show.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Well Zero was my favorite character so that's probably not a point in the show's favor.
Also the soundtrack, if that counts as a character.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

As a point of trivia, Earth 2 made a forced appearance in AlbertG's start trek/ B5 crossover? He just put it right in the Babylon 5 universe.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Murazor wrote:The Guyver was going to kill them? Seems legit.
Also invasion led by the Sulaco (and what was that, Robot Jox?)!

I enjoyed the series at the time, but I haven't seen it in years.
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

I liked Earth 2. The whole pilgrim colonization feel. Looking at the OT I cant understand what direction they were going. Rebecca Gayharts husband - Morgan ? Was basically the Gaius Balter of the series. A weasly blowhard who ended up doing the right thing by accident. As far a I was concerned he was the most entertaining part of the whole show.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh