X-files returning

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

X-files returning

Post by dragon »

Sweet wonder how they the explain the lack of the alien invasion in 2012
Plans for a revival of The X-Files are coming closer to fruition. Earlier this year, FOX co-chairman Gary Newman confirmed the network’s attempt to bring back The X-Files for a new season, contingent on David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and the show’s creator Chris Carter all being available. Now, according to a new report from TV Wise, FOX is close to green lighting a “short-stack” six-to-eight episode season.

A shortened season would allow Carter to conclude storylines left open after the most recent X-Files movie. FOX reportedly hopes to begin filming this summer, as it would work best within Duchovny and Anderson’s schedules.

Carter would write each episode and also serve as the executive producer. Other principal cast members are also expected to return for the new season, including Mitch Pileggi (Walter Skinner).

An official announcement is expected within the next month.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: X-files returning

Post by AniThyng »

Took them long enough. Some of the new audience probably wasn't even born during the shows heyday
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The X Files will be back on television.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... n-anderson
The X-Files is set to return to television screens for the first time in 13 years, with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson resuming their roles as Mulder and Scully.

The US broadcaster Fox has confirmed that a six-episode series will begin production in the summer. The broadcast date has yet to be revealed.

The series creator Chris Carter described the show’s absence as “a 13-year commercial break” and added: “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The six-episode run is shorter than most US TV series, and Fox described the X-Files return as an “event”. Dana Walden and Gary Newman, chair and CEO of Fox Television Group, said: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.

“The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

Mulder and Scully at San Diego Comic-Con: the 13 best X-Files episodes ever
Read more
The original series was cancelled in 2002, although Duchovny and Anderson returned for a feature film, X-Files: I want to Believe, in 2008. Rumours of the show’s return have swirled around the internet for years, and in 2013 Anderson and Duchovny generated much excitement when they hinted during an online discussion that another X-Files film might be in the works.

Advertisement

Such was the on-screen chemistry between FBI investigators Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in their quest to explain the unexplained that Anderson and Duchovny themselves became a story – according to the press at various times during the height of the show’s popularity, they were having an affair, hated each other or both.

This year Anderson told the Guardian’s Simon Hattenstone: “I mean, yes, there were definitely periods when we hated each other … Hate is too strong a word. We didn’t talk for long periods of time. It was intense, and we were both pains in the arse for the other at various times.”

Since the last X-Files series, Anderson has starred in a string of literary adaptations – as Lady Dedlock in Bleak House, Lily Bart in The House of Mirth, Miss Havisham in the BBC’s Great Expectations, and Mrs Castaway in The Crimson Petal and The White – and more recently she played Supt Stella Gibson in murder drama The Fall, which has been recommissioned for a third series set to air next year.

Anderson also received warm reviews for her performance as Blanche in a feted Young Vic revival of Tennessee Williams’s A Streetcar Named Desire.

Duchovny found further success in the US with Californication, which finished a seven-season run last year. This year he published his debut novel, Holy Cow, in which a cow called Elsie, a pig called Shalom and a turkey called Tom escape a farm in upstate New York in search of a better life.
Can't believe we don't have a thread about this yet.

My reaction is basically a mix of "Holy shit!", glee, hoping it won't suck, and wondering how they'll explain the world still being around after 2012.

Edit: Aw damn. Turns out their was already a thread. Mods please merge. My apologies.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The X Files will be back on television.

Post by Thanas »

Threads merged.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interesting that its only going to be six episodes, so basically an X-Files miniseries.

I'm a bit worried about Anderson. Her performance seemed off in the last movie as I recall. I wonder if she's really into the role any more (I thought Duchovny, on the other hand, did a fine job).

I'd like to see some of the other characters come back. No Cigarette Smoking Man- let him finally stay dead (well, I suppose he could have a cameo as a ghost). But I'd like to see some of the other agents, and especially Skinner (who's appearance in the second film was basically the high point of the movie for me).
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Ehh, could be interesting. Its a bit like Firefly in the fact fans still are clamoring for more and there is plenty of story ideas to explore in that universe. Unlike Firefly though X-Files was on TV for awhile and overstayed its welcome with I think the last season with the T-1000 and some random lady being the main characters. The first movie was okay and the 2nd........I know I saw it but I can't literally think of anything about it beyond snow (and I'm not 100 percent on that, its possible I could be confusing some shit from the first for the 2nd). The Lone Gunman spin-off series I don't think did too well (I don't believe it survived past one season).

Plus as Anything pointed out, this show is so old some of the target audience wouldn't even have been born during the shows run on air. Hell according to IMDB the show first aired in 93. That means the show should be old enough to drink alcohol legally in the US.

The show will have to work not to piss off fans. With the whole Earf will be invaded 3 years ago thing dropped in the series finale they can either ignore canon and piss off fans, say its a low key invasions and piss of fans who were expecting full on alien invasion, or have a full on invasion being fought by Mulder and Scully and allies and piss off fan who think its too different from the show and piss off Fox execs with the special effects budget.

Still I'm optimistic.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Regarding the second movie, it was mediocre. Duchovny's performance was fine as far as I recall, Skinner's return was a blast, and the movie did a pretty good job of reintroducing the characters and the premise, though I think it pretty much ignored the alien invasion thing. However, I thought Anderson's performance was off, some of the characterization was a bit weak, and their were some unfortunate ideas in it, including this anti-gay/anti-transgender undercurrent. Ultimately, it was like a mediocre stand alone episode. It was alright as a way of bringing the series back, but as a finale it would have been utterly insufficient, so I'm glad we're getting more.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Didn't Mulder leave the FBI and didn't really want to do anything with them? That is the thought I got from one of their movies.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

He was out of the FBI and on the run between the TV series and the second film.

Also:

www.ew.com/article/2015/03/31/x-files-skinner-smoking
Fox’s X-Files revival will likely have more original cast members than first announced.

Star David Duchovny told CBS Late Show host David Letterman on Tuesday that the sci-fi hit’s Fox reboot will include supportive clench-jawed FBI assistant director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) and the villainous Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis).

This cast is not yet official. We’re told the only deals in place right now are for Duchovny, co-star Gillian Anderson and creator Chris Carter. But you have to figure that Duchovny is pretty good source of intel, right?

Here’s a question: Will CSM still actually smoke? The X-Files has been off the air so long (13 years) that you can’t even show smoking anymore – typically – on broadcast TV. That’s the problem NBC’s Constantine ran into, when the show’s producers unsuccessfully tried to get network permission to show John Constantine as a regular smoker like in the comics.

Duchovny joked to Letterman: “When they developed Spanx, I knew I had a shot at coming back.”
There's some more with the link, including a video.

Anyway, I'm delighted about Skinner, though the Cigarette Smoking Man coming back seems like a bit of a stretch between his age and the fact that he's supposed to be dead (though it would hardly be the first time he's come back after supposedly dying).