White Star vs. SSV Normandy SR-1

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Re: White Star vs. SSV Normandy SR-1

Post by NeoGoomba »

I vaguely recall that in ME3 it's mentioned that the Geth (or at least their flagship dreadnaught) had powerful enough laser weaponry to use them ship-to-ship when they are fending off the Quarians. It may not be that effective at long range, but I'm pretty sure it was enough to tear up the Quarian fleet.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Post by Perseid »

NeoGoomba wrote:I vaguely recall that in ME3 it's mentioned that the Geth (or at least their flagship dreadnaught) had powerful enough laser weaponry to use them ship-to-ship when they are fending off the Quarians. It may not be that effective at long range, but I'm pretty sure it was enough to tear up the Quarian fleet.
I think the weaponry you're thinking of is the Geth version of PD lasers, some big deal about them being more powerful than the normal version for some reason or other.

The brainbug with the GARDIAN (I think that's right) defence grid not being usable for long range was, I think, that lasers "bloom" as they travel. Now I know that's the case in atmosphere, but there is no concentration of gas in space comparable to a planets atmosphere, so why they had blooming as a limitation is beyond me.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Mr CorSec wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:I vaguely recall that in ME3 it's mentioned that the Geth (or at least their flagship dreadnaught) had powerful enough laser weaponry to use them ship-to-ship when they are fending off the Quarians. It may not be that effective at long range, but I'm pretty sure it was enough to tear up the Quarian fleet.
I think the weaponry you're thinking of is the Geth version of PD lasers, some big deal about them being more powerful than the normal version for some reason or other.
Geth and salarians use UV point-defense lasers, which are reportedly more powerful but have higher maintenance costs.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Balrog wrote:Not to derail my own thread, but 700g acceleration for Starfuries? :?

Anyways I don't think we ever see the beam cannon on a White Star slice through anything quite like the ones on a Sharlin does. The only thing comparable that comes to mind is when the original destroyed a Shadow Cruiser by itself, but that was with Lyta blocking it plus the jump engines disabled.
A White Star effortlessly cored and then wandered up and down, left and right, on a Drahk carrier ship that was orders of magnitude larger than the WS and designed by a servant race of the Shadows.