Chappie trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Chappie trailer

Post by Ahriman238 »

Or, Neil Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium) lays off the social commentary, well I'm sure there'll be some, to make a high-concept movie about AI. Through a 'cute' robot.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bmTNadhJE[/youtube]

Now what we really need is to record over the sound from the Age of Ultron trailer.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Chappie trailer

Post by Elheru Aran »

I saw this a few weeks ago when we went to see Gone Girl (decent movie, btw. Just be very sure you have a good relationship with your sig-other...). Your link's broken, BTW.

It's definitely very District 9 in feel, but given it's Blomkamp and Weta again, I'm not too surprised. I suspect if you enjoyed D9 you'll like this too.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

This is probably what you had in mind.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I'm sorry but those fuckin' rabbit ears are just irritating.

Just like when I saw the short, it pulls me right out of the story and I'm having trouble taking this seriously.

Btw, when trying to inline YouTube links it seems that removing the "s" from the "https" when you paste makes it work correctly.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Interestingly enough...the blonde chick looks a lot like the female singer, Anri du Toit, from that South African rap-rave band called Die Antwoord. Oh snap...it IS her, IMDb has her listed (with no pic) as her stage name Yolandi Visser.

More to to the topic though, I'm finding it hard to keep watching the same "AI tries to find its humanity" sci-fi trope. It's WAY overdone IMHO. And can they PLEASE quit with the damn Disney cuteness already? :banghead:

Why is it that humans feel the need to think that a machine becoming more human is the ultimate goal? Or that it would make it somehow better? Don't get me wrong, I think it is an important philosophical principle to explore. It would just be nice to have something different, or new.

Sorry if I'm sidelining here.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

cadbrowser wrote:[snip] More to to the topic though, I'm finding it hard to keep watching the same "AI tries to find its humanity" sci-fi trope. It's WAY overdone IMHO. And can they PLEASE quit with the damn Disney cuteness already? :banghead:

Why is it that humans feel the need to think that a machine becoming more human is the ultimate goal? Or that it would make it somehow better? Don't get me wrong, I think it is an important philosophical principle to explore. It would just be nice to have something different, or new. [snip]
If you haven't seen them already, the Terminator and Matrix franchises are kind of hit-and-miss, but have many fun moments and did quite well in the box office.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

FSTargetDrone wrote:I'm sorry but those fuckin' rabbit ears are just irritating.

Just like when I saw the short, it pulls me right out of the story and I'm having trouble taking this seriously.
I dunno, Shirow pulled it off convincingly enough in his Appleseed and related series, it's not such a showstopper for me. In fact, I did get a bit of a Shirow vibe off the robot design, I thought it was pretty good.

What is getting a bit stale for me, though, is all the people going shooty-shooty-bang-bang at the poor little AI. Surely there has to be some other plot type that could be stickytaped into a watchable film?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Raw Shark wrote:If you haven't seen them already, the Terminator and Matrix franchises are kind of hit-and-miss, but have many fun moments and did quite well in the box office.
Oh, I've seen them. Love them. Still though, in the end those robots/machines still tried to be portrayed as humanizing.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

cadbrowser wrote:Interestingly enough...the blonde chick looks a lot like the female singer, Anri du Toit, from that South African rap-rave band called Die Antwoord. Oh snap...it IS her, IMDb has her listed (with no pic) as her stage name Yolandi Visser.

More to to the topic though, I'm finding it hard to keep watching the same "AI tries to find its humanity" sci-fi trope. It's WAY overdone IMHO. And can they PLEASE quit with the damn Disney cuteness already? :banghead:

Why is it that humans feel the need to think that a machine becoming more human is the ultimate goal? Or that it would make it somehow better? Don't get me wrong, I think it is an important philosophical principle to explore. It would just be nice to have something different, or new.

Sorry if I'm sidelining here.
maybe becuase that's the easiest way to restrain an AI? Those bots are clearly built to interact with humans, so it makes sense they'd be running predictive algorithims of human behaviour. It's a subroutine that could also be used to make the robot 'seem' more human and easy to deal with. Same with the rabbit ears - how to give something body language really easily.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

madd0ct0r wrote:maybe becuase that's the easiest way to restrain an AI? Those bots are clearly built to interact with humans, so it makes sense they'd be running predictive algorithims of human behaviour. It's a subroutine that could also be used to make the robot 'seem' more human and easy to deal with. Same with the rabbit ears - how to give something body language really easily.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. All I'm saying is that I would like to see something different than that old worn out trope.

How about a mechanical version of Frankenstein? Call it Mechanstein (sorry, couldn't help myself). The story about an AI humanoid robot that decides humans should endeavor to be more like it and in essence creates a cyborg-type life form where various fresh human body parts are integrated into a mechanical frame (or something similar). Except that the robot finds that it "likes" this process and ends up becoming a mass murderer in order to make creations in his image/vision.

Now THAT would be a damn better movie, IMHO.

phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

cadbrowser wrote:How about a mechanical version of Frankenstein? Call it Mechanstein (sorry, couldn't help myself). The story about an AI humanoid robot that decides humans should endeavor to be more like it and in essence creates a cyborg-type life form where various fresh human body parts are integrated into a mechanical frame (or something similar). Except that the robot finds that it "likes" this process and ends up becoming a mass murderer in order to make creations in his image/vision.

Now THAT would be a damn better movie, IMHO.
Start writing it now! :P
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I suggest you look up two Dr Who Episodes:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/SS_Madame_de_Pompadour then http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/SS_Marie_Antoinette

the summaries there don't really do it justice.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

@phred - Thanks...I've tried writing sci-fi; apparently I suck pretty bad at it. I was going to write that as a separate book based on the Necropolis Earth Universe I've been working on. I am currently preparing to rework everything from the ground up and re-release it.

@madd0ct0r - I've never seen Dr Who. :oops: I do have a lot of friends that talk about it tho so I am at least familiar with it. Those links are pretty darn close to what I was imagining. I may have to find some time and start watching them!

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Why is it that humans feel the need to think that a machine becoming more human is the ultimate goal? Or that it would make it somehow better?
1) There are over seven billion humans on this planet that the AI is going to have to deal with. Being able to operate in human ways is going to make that a lot easier.

2) We are humans making AIs for human purposes. AIs that are more human and therefore easier for use to use are going to be more efficient for us to deal with.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Zeropoint wrote:1) There are over seven billion humans on this planet that the AI is going to have to deal with. Being able to operate in human ways is going to make that a lot easier.

2) We are humans making AIs for human purposes. AIs that are more human and therefore easier for use to use are going to be more efficient for us to deal with.
I get this. However, from a philosophical standpoint I don't see why having a robot become more human should be the ultimate goal. Humans, for the most part, are irrational and some of the most destructive animals on this planet. It also seems that knowing how to interact with another being doesn't mean that they have to strive to be one. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

cadbrowser wrote:I get this. However, from a philosophical standpoint I don't see why having a robot become more human should be the ultimate goal. Humans, for the most part, are irrational and some of the most destructive animals on this planet. It also seems that knowing how to interact with another being doesn't mean that they have to strive to be one. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.
It's probably some sort of mental complex. If you have a being that is sentient enough to have such complicated desires it could well develop the desire to be more like its creator. Think about it. From the perspective of a machine we are creator deities.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

There's also the fact that most writers are human [citation needed] and find it easier to write a sympathetic character if that character is essentially human.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Purple wrote:It's probably some sort of mental complex. If you have a being that is sentient enough to have such complicated desires it could well develop the desire to be more like its creator. Think about it. From the perspective of a machine we are creator deities.
Potentially yes. Then again, I would venture to argue that a machine wouldn't be so quick to diverge into believing in deities. Once they verify we can die, and understand that concept, then we are no more important to them than a bug is on our windshield.

Zeropoint wrote:There's also the fact that most writers are human [citation needed] and find it easier to write a sympathetic character if that character is essentially human.
:mrgreen: That was quite funny. You are probably right...I demand BETTER! Write the hard stuff and entertain me dammit!