Jurassic World trailer premiers 11/27 - sneak peek here

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Beowulf
The Patrician

Re: Jurassic World trailer premiers 11/27 - sneak peek here

Post by Beowulf »

Grumman wrote:Then use more gun. If a Lee-Enfield won't do it, I bet a Barrett will.
Eh, meet Mr. Carl-G.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

An associate had this comment posted elsewhere, but it's steal-worthy :wink:

You go inside the hamster ball.....hamster ball goes into the park, you go into the park......Rex's in the park.....our Rex.....farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies..... :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

FaxModem1 wrote:I am curious how much the anti-science and anti-technology angle will be pushed in the film, as that was a central theme of the first two, is that man shouldn't mess with "God's domain".
I've always interpreted it far more as about human arrogance and short-sightedness than any crypto-religious message, myself.

Anyway, there's a decent chance this movie won't be that good, but I will definitely see it. I liked "The Lost World" more than most, and I thought "Jurassic Park 3" was fun, even if a bit silly. I don't regret having seen either, and I would gladly re-watch them. This at least promises to show us something new. New dinosaurs (the giant aquatic one looks great), new locations, new characters, etc.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Patroklos wrote: This story works better as an isolated group of survivors experiencing the horror of being alone or near alone and hunted by the unknown.
Seems the story focuses on the two kids, Star Lord and the ginger chick
Once you start having thousands of people running around
The active park is part of the atmosphere,

An empty park going through inspection, Done
Documentary team studying dino's and sabotaging poachers, Done + Dino loose in a major city
People stranded in dino island trying to survive and find rescue, Done

What else is left? Dino/Human hybrids?

An active Jurassic Park is really the most logical direction, without carbon copying previous plots
and huge packs of dinosaurs rampaging all of the place it got boring.
Focus of the story is going to be the Chaos Effect hybrid dino. It doesn't look like we'll see much of the normal dinos beyond cameos (the Raptors appear to be the only other stars)
Also, I think all of us can get behind the not so hard to understand idea of wanting to bring back a lost world through a sense of discovery and wonder and see the results as tragic even if predictable. That's not exactly the same thing as the mad science motivation of lets make a MONSTER dinosaur because reasons where I am hoping everyone dies because they are obviously idiots.
The motivation for the Hybrid is corporate, the Park's attendance numbers are dropping and the Masrani Corporation wants something completely new to get crowds back to 98,000 per/mo. And of...course...it has to be an abomination that'd make Doctors Moreau and Mengele cringe.

I think the chosen backstory kind forced them to rip-off the Chaos Effect toyline, Jurassic World is 10 years old at the film's setting and is super kickass in security measures, so an unpredictable element has to be forged to get past that. And there's nothing more unpredictable than a mutt that has traits from several species.