Jonathon Nolan is adapting Foundation.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Re: Jonathon Nolan is adapting Foundation.

Post by andrewgpaul »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I thought the villain in I, Robot was not so much breaking the laws (in its mind) as reinterpreting them. Ie kill a few humans to impose a new society that will save lives.
Batman wrote:That's why I said it's idiotic.
But not totally contrary to the source material; it's an idea Asimov himself used, when he invented the Zeroth Law of Robotics:"A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm", with the other three being amended so as to be subordinate to it.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That was apparently poorly worded by me. I meant the criticism is idotic. The robots interpreting the laws in unforeseen and usually unwelcome ways is what half the 'Robot' stories are about.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Though, upon reflection, there might be one reason why Foundation would be not filmable - protagonists manipulating surrounding planets with combination of religion and big business after Empire fell and education together with infrastructure went to shit could be read as jab at modern Republithugs :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Irbis wrote:Though, upon reflection, there might be one reason why Foundation would be not filmable - protagonists manipulating surrounding planets with combination of religion and big business after Empire fell and education together with infrastructure went to shit could be read as jab at modern Republithugs :lol:
I think Asimov would find that amusing, as it follows the general ideal of Science Fiction as a way to discuss/critique/parody modern society. Foundation could be seen as a pointed warning about Imperialism and Colonialism, which iirc was in the midst of final breakdown with India and various African nations throwing out their colonial masters.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Irbis wrote:
Batman wrote:(especially with current Hollywood and the series' abundance of no bigass space battles)
Wait, you mean Foundation lacks battles and action scenes? Did I get that right? :|

IIRC, there are literally dozens of scenes with implied or literal battles in the Trilogy. Even first book, calmest of the three, has warlord about to attack Foundation, with whole scene discussing his battle fleet, even mentioning how awesome one pre-Fall battleship is. Book 2 and 3 are set among period of continuous heavy warfare. How can anyone infer lack of action from that I have no idea.

They totally need to make Bel Riose into Tywin Lannister in SPACE! It will be the most epic thing ever :lol:
The Mule, on the other hand, is pretty similar to Tyrion... :D
Batman wrote:That was apparently poorly worded by me. I meant the criticism is idotic. The robots interpreting the laws in unforeseen and usually unwelcome ways is what half the 'Robot' stories are about.
Me, I disagree, I say two thirds. ;)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Half, two thirds, 77 percent, the point was a lot of the 'Robot' stories were about the robots interpreting the laws in ways nobody expected leave alone wanted so criticizing the movie for having a robot doing exactly that is stupid. :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Irbis wrote:Though, upon reflection, there might be one reason why Foundation would be not filmable - protagonists manipulating surrounding planets with combination of religion and big business after Empire fell and education together with infrastructure went to shit could be read as jab at modern Republithugs :lol:
Except that the Foundation, for all their bastardness, are depicted as the lesser evil. At least until Second Foundation, when they sort of take on the role of bad guys.

But I can't stand them. There's a reason I like General Riose in Foundation and Empire. He basically tried to thwart Seldon's plan. Sure, he lost, and he might not have had pure motives, but he gets some credit for trying.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Batman wrote:Half, two thirds, 77 percent, the point was a lot of the 'Robot' stories were about the robots interpreting the laws in ways nobody expected leave alone wanted so criticizing the movie for having a robot doing exactly that is stupid. :)
Sure, a robot, but an overarching theme - both in the short stories implicitly and explicitly from Asimov's own mouth - of the stories was the exact opposite. He wrote to try and counter the idea that robots would rise up against humans en masse, that they would try to enslave us or control us, that the story of humans and robots as inter-related species must be antagonistic. Stories of that nature were already extant and fairly popular when he wrote I, Robot, and he wanted to make the point that robots did not have to be something to fear.

Adapting bits of the short stories and the three laws to make basically the opposite point feels, to many fans of the original, wrong. It's similar to how many fans of ST:TOS and ST:TNG disliked later DS9 for episodes like "Homefront" and "In the Pale Moonlight", for what they see as tearing down Roddenberry's utopian ideal for the human race from the prior series. You may like the complexity and shades of grey of the later DS9 vision of the 24th century, but one can at least see their point.

Whether or not you agree, surely you can at least see their point?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I would say I, Robot does not portray robots as inherently bad. In fact, it depicts the protagonist's prejudice against robots as just that- prejudice. It just shows that the three laws are flawed.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, in the same spirit Asimov's later novels (the ones he wrote to stitch together the Robots and Empire timelines) kind of... do subvert the Three Laws in that way, with the formulation of the Zeroth Law.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Terralthra wrote:He wrote to try and counter the idea that robots would rise up against humans en masse, that they would try to enslave us or control us, that the story of humans and robots as inter-related species must be antagonistic. Stories of that nature were already extant and fairly popular when he wrote I, Robot, and he wanted to make the point that robots did not have to be something to fear.
<nod> I remember coming across one of Asimov's between-story comments that outright stated he wanted the background to be that robots were seen as (and most of the time were) useful tools — complicated and expensive, but just tools. Then he'd toss an authorial spanner in the works to see what would happen. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery