Doctor Who S34E12: "Death In Heaven" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

What did you think of Death In Heaven?

5/5 - Perfection
3%
4/5 - Excellent
34%
3/5 - Good
41%
2/5 - Mediocre
6%
1/5 - Bad
6%
0/5 - Completely Awful
9%

Total votes: 32

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Re: Doctor Who S34E12: "Death In Heaven" Spoilers

Post by B5B7 »

Well re: the cybermen clambering around the plane, they were obviously channelling 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' ie they were "gremlins".
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

So is Missy dead or not? The Cybermen bolts (at least Danny's) usually resulting in the target blowing up, not vanishing into a blue haze (just like Missy's teleport).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

It made my girlfriend and I sad when they killed Osgood, especially after the doctor tells her to put travelling in the TARDIS on her bucket list. We really wanted her to be the next companion at that point.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Batman wrote:Missy was self-admittedly nuts, and she has known the Doctor for a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if she counted on him summoning the TARDIS to save himself and just threw him out of the plane for shits and giggles.

Was dubious at the beginning but the episode grew on me, even if nuts Missy kept getting on my nerves throughout, and hey, thanks for bringing back Osgood (I didn't even remember respirator girl had a name) just to pointlessly kill her off.
I only know the Brigadier by nuWho references but I too was touched by the Doctor saluting him at the end.

And who the hell wears red shoes with a black suit?
The Brigadier's picture is on the plane. If you want good Brigadier stories from classic Who, I would suggest those within the Pertwee and Tom Baker era.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I actually really enjoyed it. Missy tempting the Doctor with an unstoppable army was ingenious, and Danny's scenes were very well done. 12 beating the TARDIS console in frustration at the end broke my freaking heart.
No idea what the hell's going on for the Christmas ep though...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

About Danny never hurting Clara, and the Brig saving his daughter....

We have seen a Cyberman break programming before, in one of the earlier episodes with them ("Age of Steel"? It's been awhile). British loyalist goes to her conversion muttering "Queen and country" then later turns on other Cybermen, saying "for Queen and country!" over and over.

Apparently there are some types of loyalty that can break through the cyberprogramming. Not often, but there is precedent. So I'm not troubled by it showing up now and again.

How much such a Cyberman is capable of acting outside of that loyalty or cybercommand is unknown. It could be that the CyberBrig, once his daughter is safe and he receives no further commands, will simply sit down in a corner somewhere and do nothing. Or he took himself off somewhere that he would be unlikely to hurt someone. Or he went off to kill himself rather than continue as a Cyberman. We just don't know.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Does anyone know, what was the significance of that kid that Danny sent through instead of himself? It looks like he died in either Iraq or Afghanistan.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Does anyone know, what was the significance of that kid that Danny sent through instead of himself? It looks like he died in either Iraq or Afghanistan.
it's the same kid that asked to meet him in the previous episode 'Dark Water' and the implication is that's a kid Danny killed when he was a solider in Afganistan.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Chimaera wrote:I actually really enjoyed it. Missy tempting the Doctor with an unstoppable army was ingenious, and Danny's scenes were very well done. 12 beating the TARDIS console in frustration at the end broke my freaking heart.
No idea what the hell's going on for the Christmas ep though...
Yeah that scene where the Doctor was hoping to find Gallifrey and didn't..... heart wrenching.

As for the Christmas ep. there's a one minute trailer for it but I don't know what is going on since I can't hear very well.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

I liked it. As a season finale it worked well. It had all the scenes that finales for NuWho have (flash jumps to key words).

Besides the Clara/Pink crap, I would like to know if I'm insane. I don't get the hub-bub surrounding Osgood. I thought her character for the 50th anniversary episode fit nicely. That episode was fan service that had an integral place in the Doctor Who universe. But when I saw her in this I audably said "WHY"?!?!
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Broomstick wrote:About Danny never hurting Clara, and the Brig saving his daughter....

We have seen a Cyberman break programming before, in one of the earlier episodes with them ("Age of Steel"? It's been awhile). British loyalist goes to her conversion muttering "Queen and country" then later turns on other Cybermen, saying "for Queen and country!" over and over.

Apparently there are some types of loyalty that can break through the cyberprogramming. Not often, but there is precedent. So I'm not troubled by it showing up now and again.
It's happened once or twice in the old series as well, IIRC, it was in Tomb of the Cybermen (only a guy being mentally conditioned, not fully converted though) and Attack of the Cybermen, I think, I'm not sure though.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote:
It was Doomsday and the head of Torchwood.

It couldn't be Age Of Steel since that was set in a monarchy-less parrallel dimension.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

NecronLord: Yeah, it was Lytton in Attack of the Cybermen. He'd already been duplicated and conditioned by the Daleks previously, so it may be an result of that that he was able to resist the Cyberconversion.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

As my wife put it, it summed up series eight quite nicely; strong concepts and visuals that were squandered by disconnected plot, lack of direction/pacing and Clara being annoying. I would have preferred Kate to get a heroic death instead of Osgood being executed followed by excessive Brigadeer fan-service; would have been more fitting and Osgood had more room for character development. It more entertaining than most of the season, but still a bit unsafisfying.

Overall series 8 is tied with series 3 as a low point of the New Who series (although I did like Martha and the ending was excellent; series 4 OTOH was pretty good right up to the awful ending). I know River annoyed some fans, but I liked her and my wife thought she was great; strong outrageous character that had credible explanations for getting away with what she did and was well characterised without being overused. This season Clara got away with constant bullshit, agnst and bad decisions justified by writer fiat. Frankly the writing and to some extent the production just seemed lazy this year; Moffat had a great run with Matt Smith, but despite a strong effort from Capaldi it just didn't work well this time.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Also, the Doctor's job as 'President of Earth,' I get the strong feeling it started off in the script as 'dictator' at some point, and then someone changed it. Would be interesting to know if my intuition is correct.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Something random just occurred to me. When they're on the plane the Doctor asks if they're taking him to "Cloudbase," Kate asks if he means the Valiant, and she explains that it's "too conspicuous" as opposed to "it got shot down by the Daleks."

So either Stolen Earth crap didn't happen (or the Valiant somehow survived, which seems unlikely) or they rebuilt it.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I was also pleased to hear the news announcer say "these are called cybermen ... unlike the previous times we've encountered cybermen they can now fly." At least the humans have remembered this time.

I would be interested to know how these cybermen fare against daleks, if the Master's claim that they could break people out of dalek concentration camps is accurate, that presumably implies it's no longer a matter of 'pest control.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That makes me suspect that these are Cybermen upgraded with Time Lord technology courtesy of Missy/Master, and not just the regular upgraded power-armour.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Somehow I doubt Missy's Cybermen can compare to the Mondas Cybermen in "Nightmare in Silver". :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Enigma wrote:Somehow I doubt Missy's Cybermen can compare to the Mondas Cybermen in "Nightmare in Silver". :)
I actually wondered if these were the forerunners to those, the upload / download from the necrosphere could lead to a more hive minded race as seen in Nightmare.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

It'd certainly explain how the "Nightmare in Silver" Cybermen were so absurdly wanked-out. Hell, maybe Missy even incorporated some technology from the Raston Warrior Robot.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Unless Missy's Cybermen time travelled, I seriously doubt it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

I didn't overly mind it, though the Clara focus continued to grate on me. At least she's gone. Had some nice bits.

Cyber-Brig did bother me though. When watching Dr Who as a kid the Brigadier was awesome and one of my favorite characters. I was really sad when Nicholas Courtney passed away. He's a character that should remain dead, not be resurrected in a form the Doctor has said on several occasions is horrific for the person in it. Just didn't sit right with me and its not like it added anything.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

What got me was the contradiction, where the writers were trying to make UNIT seem competent with their, well, being there, prepared and all, and then their complete and utter incompetence with Missy.
She should have been strip-searched, body cavity searched, X-rayed, and stuck in prison pyjamas, all while still unconscious. Bloody TSA could do better than that bunch of clowns.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

It's confirmed Missy to return
Michelle Gomez has said that she’ll be returning for Series 9.

Gomez is asked in the new DWM whether or not Missy be back next year and she replies, “Yes.”

Adding: “‘Yes’ is my answer. I’ll be back. Can I say that? Am I allowed? If not… well, I guess we’ll have to see how she’s received…”

The interview also reveals that a decoy version of the reveal in Dark Water was shot in case any members of the public overhead. In this version Missy said she was actually the Rani.

The dialogue was as follows: “You know who I am. I’m Missy. Or, if you’d prefer, Random Access Neural Integrator. Rani for short.”
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes