First plot information from the Terminator Reboot

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: First plot information from the Terminator Reboot

Post by Irbis »

Beowulf wrote:
Guns & Ammo wrote:In fact, at all ranges from zero to 300 yards, BRI bullets deliver more energy than a .45-70, .44 Remington Magnum, .300 Savage, .30 Remington or .30-30 Winchester--to name a few. A hard lead alloy is used for making BRI bullets that assures adequate penetration. The flattened conical tip of BRI bullets imparts maximum shock, yet contributes to good overall aerodynamic performance.
So, it delivers more energy than a pistol bullet. That's um, great, but I fail to see how it contradicts my words...? :wink:

Strongest bullet mentioned above, .30-30 Winchester has energy slightly smaller than 5.56×45mm NATO - so even if we assume your shotgun slug is comparable, we still run into issue that T1 Terminator took full M-16 bursts to back without any damage, and shotgun slugs have far worse armour penetrating shape to boot. So, nope, I still don't see it.

Oh, and you missed a sentence at the end:
BRI 12 Gauge/.500 shells should be fired only from barrels with choked cylinder or improved cylinder, according to the manufacturer. Firing in a full choked barrel is definitely not recommended.
Now look at the gun Arnie is holding. It's a short barrel Remington model 1100 - choked :P

Even if we assume he made non choked barrel specifically to fire slugs or other exotic stuff, short barrel is going to substantially cut on their kinetic energy. So nope, I don't see it working for this reason too.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Irbis wrote:
Beowulf wrote:
Guns & Ammo wrote:In fact, at all ranges from zero to 300 yards, BRI bullets deliver more energy than a .45-70, .44 Remington Magnum, .300 Savage, .30 Remington or .30-30 Winchester--to name a few. A hard lead alloy is used for making BRI bullets that assures adequate penetration. The flattened conical tip of BRI bullets imparts maximum shock, yet contributes to good overall aerodynamic performance.
So, it delivers more energy than a pistol bullet. That's um, great, but I fail to see how it contradicts my words...? :wink:

Strongest bullet mentioned above, .30-30 Winchester has energy slightly smaller than 5.56×45mm NATO - so even if we assume your shotgun slug is comparable, we still run into issue that T1 Terminator took full M-16 bursts to back without any damage, and shotgun slugs have far worse armour penetrating shape to boot. So, nope, I still don't see it.
5.56 NATO gives ~1700J of energy ffrom a 20 inch barrel. A .44 Magnum has ~1600J of energy from a 6.5 inch barrel. Yes, it's a pistol bullet, but it's a damn powerful one, while 5.56 is fairly weak. .30-30 Winchester has much more energy than either, at ~2500J. It's also not the most powerful of the listed rounds. That's the .45-70, at ~3300J (325gr Leverevolution).
Irbis wrote:Oh, and you missed a sentence at the end:
BRI 12 Gauge/.500 shells should be fired only from barrels with choked cylinder or improved cylinder, according to the manufacturer. Firing in a full choked barrel is definitely not recommended.
Now look at the gun Arnie is holding. It's a short barrel Remington model 1100 - choked :P

Even if we assume he made non choked barrel specifically to fire slugs or other exotic stuff, short barrel is going to substantially cut on their kinetic energy. So nope, I don't see it working for this reason too.
Short barrel, yes. No evidence that it's choked though. In fact, it's likely to be cylinder bore, especially if he cut down the barrel himself. Given that short barrel shotguns are NFA items, it's likely that he'd have to. As for energy, that's a bit cartridge dependent, and I don't have the ability to say for sure... but chopping down overly long barrels tends to have little to no impact on muzzle energy. Barrels which aren't overly long tend to have the reduction in energy be proportional to the length chopped off. So if it started at 18" (which is reasonable, as that's the legal minimum), and got chopped down to 12-14" (which appears to be how long the barrel is based on the relative amount ahead of the hand guard), we'd expect it'd still have 66-77% of the muzzle energy. No, it's not great, but it might be good enough.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy Shit Balls.

That looks sweet!

Although, I would have used the Ahnuld vs Ahnuld part at the end. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Sorry for the necro but unless I'm wrong there's new info about Genisys.
Spoiler
Skynet sends back a third Terminator, one that is supposedly never seen before (yet to me looks like a T-X variant) and he's John Connor.
Here's the trailer.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...that's not a Terminator. That's a metal zombie.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

...Wat.
What the fuck are they doing? I was actually warming to the movie and its premise and then...

I could be wrong, and I hope they approach it really inventively and carefully, but this has smothered the fragile enthusiasm that had been growing for it.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah I WAS looking forward to seeing this movie. Now...I'll have to wait and see.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Spoiler
Have they learned nothing from Salvation's 'ZOMG THE CHARACTER IS ACTUALLY A TERMINATOR?!?!' Bullshit? More than that, have they learned nothing from showing such a monumental twist in the trailer, regardless of how clever/asinine it is?
[Mod Edit at user request ~NL]
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Chimaera wrote:Have they learned nothing from Salvation's 'ZOMG THE CHARACTER IS ACTUALLY A TERMINATOR?!?!' Bullshit? More than that, have they learned nothing from showing such a monumental twist in the trailer, regardless of how clever/asinine it is?
Unfortunately there seems to be an idea among many filmmakers today that given that everyone will already know whatever twists you come up with, you might as well show the entire movie in the trailer. JJ Abrams is one of the few left who is opposed to the idea, complaining about the spoilers being leaked for The Force Awakens.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

So instead of liquid metal, this one is basically metallic dust?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

This must have been the producers' thought process:

Audience loves dramaz
Human-Machine hybrid = dramaz
Plot twist = dramaz
Therefore make John Connor an evil human/machine hybrid and the audience will love the movie!

That being said this takes place in an alternate universe, so I am willing to give it a shot. I think it's going to be a good popcorn movie - one where I turn my brain off, eat my popcorn and enjoy the action scenes and effects without worrying about the plot.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

biostem wrote:So instead of liquid metal, this one is basically metallic dust?
I would actually guess something involving nanites...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Probably will watch it but expecting anything less than disappointment is an exercise in futility. Giving away the major plot twist in the trailer is just hilariously funny unless it is really just an attempt to hide another stupid plot twist. That said, I do at least find the idea somewhat of an interesting concept however, I do not think a movie is going to really get much traction out of these kind of things when they are filling it with the typical movie bullshit.
If you want to add drama and major twists plot arcs then do a series where you can actually play it out. As it is, the multiple years between Terminators with constantly shifting technology, plot and direction are making an already done to death franchise even more silly.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

I watched the movie, and I have these observations.
Spoiler
-Kyle's flashbacks began just after John Connor was attacked. Could his assailant have been from even further in the future?
- Likewise with "Pops". Even at the end of the movie, where Pops came from is left unanswered.
- Aside from molten metal, a T-1000 can be destroyed with corrosive liquids.
- Obviously, neither Sarah nor Pops knew that the original Terminator chip would have been used to create the hardware to make Skynet possible. (Otherwise, stopping Judgment Day would have been a simple matter of destroying the chip.) Apparently, they intended to go smash Skynet's mainframe in the future before it went online (which would have led to a surprise when they find out Skynet does not exist).
- Those who have seen the trailer know that something happened to John to turn him into a machine. What is not revealed was that he actually becomes the main villain in the movie.
- Related to the above, John's role was to ensure Skynet was born. What is significant is that John is able to think like a human- which was why Skynet was experimenting with converting humans into terminators, in order to use human creativity. And John applied that by changing the way Skynet would go online, by making sure that it goes online worldwide.
- This is the first movie where the terminator played by Arnold Schwarzenegger survives.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I have my doubts about this film, but I'll probably see it just to see what Matt Smith is doing post-Doctor Who.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

O my fucking God, that stuff in amigocabal's spoiler tags sound as if the movie cribbed its script from a crappy fanfic. As far as the movie part of the franchise goes I already considered this series DOA with the third part, this now sounds like some sort of necromancy gone wrong.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Metahive wrote:O my fucking God, that stuff in amigocabal's spoiler tags sound as if the movie cribbed its script from a crappy fanfic. As far as the movie part of the franchise goes I already considered this series DOA with the third part, this now sounds like some sort of necromancy gone wrong.
Indeed. Chrono Cross had a much simpler plot. Spoiler
Terminator John apparently worked for Cyberdyne for decades and was even working on his own time machine, which Skynet would presumably control. this begs the question of what Skynet's plan was.
Two sequels are being planned. I wonder if the sequels will reveal an even worse villain (such as an alien parasite sleeping deep within the Earth, waiting to burst out, or an ancient interplanetary invasion weapons system that crash-landed millenia ago that intends to repair itself by assimilating humans.)
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

So...

Having seen the movie and liking it...

I've come away with some thoughts.

I understand that the T's don't have (Or appear to have) pain receptors built into them given all the skin being shot/burn/melted/whatever off the metal frame... with no reaction of "Ow! That hurts!"

But, given all the rough housing that goes on... how might they cope with just simple bruising? With the forces being applied by the metal/hydraulics underneath being the true motive force of the machine and not muscle... What might be in place to stop the flesh getting stripped off by such excess motions? The same for all the amount of tossing and slamming... What might have been down to stop the skin from simply being ripped off during 'rough encounters'?

Though, to be fair, I'm guessing the normal T series isn't actually designed to fight other T series, but softer, squishier humans.

Just a thought.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Why did they have to fuck over John again? Terminator 1 he doesn't exist yet until the end of the movie and he ain't going to be doing any ass kicking in the womb. Termie 2 he is like 10 and fairly ballsy but can't do anything beyond tag along and try not to die. Terminator 3 he is a total bitch who has less balls then a freaking veterinarian. Terminator 4 he is finally starting to resemble the badass leader of mankind.......what little he is on screen considering it was the Jake Sulley movie guest staring John Conner. Sarah Conner Chronicles he was mostly a little whiny bitch, mostly.

Now apparently Sarah is supposed to be the chosen one. Terminator is one of the few franchises that isn't lacking in strong female characters, they didn't need to fuck over another character to make another female protagonist.

But John apparently ain't the only one who got fucked over. The original Terminator went down like a bitch. I think the Uncle Bob Termie or a stand-in got snipped. Even Bill Paxton's character was fucked up because the director fucking felt like it, though atleast that was just cosmetic bullshit. This movie should be called Terminator Fuck You Franchise, that seems to be its only goal is to destroy anything that was good in series.

I don't even see how John Conner can exist considering Sarah and Jai Courtney don't even bang and even if they did they went forward to our future, so unless the John who got robo sodomized by The Doc was like 10 none of the events of the movie should even happen unless they are going with the alternative timelines. If so then whats the fucking point of anything? They can't change the past they can only create a new timeline with the original timeline puttering along.

And James fucking Cameron actually fucking said this was the REAL fucking Terminator 3. The fucking motherfucker. I knew he was a fucking no talent fucking fuck after Avatar but this just confirms it.

The only thing good about this movie was Emilia Clarke's and Arnie's acting together and Arnie-bot smiling a bunch.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Even if Reese and Connor were to bang again in the alternate (alternate alternate alternate?) timeline, what are the chances of the exact sperm that eventually becomes John still being loaded in the chamber, so to speak? I mean I get the series rarely strives for realism, latest entry apparently raising that to art form(ish) but come on :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

There is probably little chance. It goes with the theory that has been put forth here and elsewhere that each time jump creates an alternate timeline, one cannot alter the past but create a new timeline more in line with their goals. If Skynet is losing he cannot win by time travel, he's still fucked, but can create a new parallel time line where he might win.

The theory even says Kyle wasn't really original John's father. The original John Connor's dad was some random dude, maybe the guy with the nice car who stood Sarah up, who knows and John was just some guy not the Chosen One. Then Skynet sends evil-Arnie and the Resistance sends Kyle back creating a new timeline and a new John Connor.

But these movies seem to at times treat it more like Back to the Future where you can actually alter the future. Other times it seems more like predestination. Then the alternate parallel timelines.

I dunno, any way it goes its just a confusing ass mess. Terminator 1 was tight, 2 was a bit messier with time-travel but then shit went full dummy.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Joun_Lord wrote:There is probably little chance. It goes with the theory that has been put forth here and elsewhere that each time jump creates an alternate timeline, one cannot alter the past but create a new timeline more in line with their goals. If Skynet is losing he cannot win by time travel, he's still fucked, but can create a new parallel time line where he might win.

The theory even says Kyle wasn't really original John's father. The original John Connor's dad was some random dude, maybe the guy with the nice car who stood Sarah up, who knows and John was just some guy not the Chosen One. Then Skynet sends evil-Arnie and the Resistance sends Kyle back creating a new timeline and a new John Connor.

But these movies seem to at times treat it more like Back to the Future where you can actually alter the future. Other times it seems more like predestination. Then the alternate parallel timelines.

I dunno, any way it goes its just a confusing ass mess. Terminator 1 was tight, 2 was a bit messier with time-travel but then shit went full dummy.
Both T1 and T2 are pretty consistent on their being alternate timelines.

In T1 Kyle tells Sarah that this is the case:
Sarah: Look, I am not stupid, you know. They cannot make things like that yet.
Reese: Not yet, not for about 40 years.
Sarah: Are you saying it's from the future?
Reese: One possible future. From your point of view, I don't know tech stuff.
And of course, the entire plot of Terminator 2 basically boils down to "there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

As silly as the original ending for T2 was (the one where there was no war), I wish Cameron had stuck with it because it would have prevented the sequels.

Still, I'm gonna go see the movie next week... again, I'm thinking this will be a popcorn movie more than anything. And I really hope that Matt Smith isn't some retarded version of Skynet, which was rumoured awhile back. That'd be pretty f-ing annoying.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Mari Wolfe
Redshirt

Post by Mari Wolfe »

I saw it this evening. Like all time travel films effect comes before and during and well as after effect. Spoiler
Personally I think Pops was sent back by the Skynet that was created by in the timeline that was in existence when the film finished. There was a final scene in the middle of the credits that hinted that this was possible.
Hugs,
Mari
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I saw it early today. It was a really entertaining, fast-paced movie that referenced the first two movies a bit (but not in an annoying way, like with Jurassic World). It also seems to be more or less pretending that the Third and Fourth Terminator movies didn't happen, since there's no mention of John Conner having a wife or anything like that when we see him in the past.

There were only really two issues I had with the movie:
Spoiler
1. I felt like it relied a little bit too much on What a twist! to keep the plot flowing. "Oh my god, someone's killing John Connor! OMG, the good T-800 is killing the bad one in a blend with the first movie! Oh my god, John Connor's in 2017! Oh my god, he's Yet Another Type of Terminator!" It still works really well as a fun movie, but I think that might come across as more annoying if or when I watch it again.

2. The movie throws in all of these plot and timeline complications - Sarah was raised by the T-800 in this one, Kyle Reese has new memories, Skynet is a Cloud Operating System, Reese is some type of human-absorbing android - but in the end they didn't really mean much. They ended up at the same place as they were otherwise going, blowing up Skynet as created by Miles Dyson's son. There's an interesting moment there when they actually meet Skynet-as-Genisys, and it's surprised when they say that it's going to kill everyone - it thought they were coming there to kill it. Almost like their efforts to destroy Skynet might actually be the reason it's turning hostile against humans, which would be consistent with the first two films (where it initiated Judgment Day because humans tried to shut it down after it became sentient), and fit with Skynet's accusatory remarks throughout the sequence inside Cyberdyne.

I missed that mid-credits bit, though - didn't realize they were doing that type of thing as well as the Marvel movies. So Skynet lives to fight another day, along with the mystery of who sent the T-800 back in this presumably non-Judgment Day timeline. I assume there's going to be some big twist linked to who sent the T-800 back in time, since none of the previous incarnations of it had their memories wiped. Maybe it's some version of Future-Skynet that realizes it can never survive if it initiates Judgment Day, but needs to make sure that doesn't happen.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
I saw it and I felt Matt Smith was criminally underused as Skynet. I would really have liked to have seen the machine's perspective on humanity and the war, as we only get teased with it when it says that humanity only pays lip service to peace. I wondered if it wouldn't have been better if Skynet and humanity had a nice sitdown and talked with each other than both sides trying to preemptively wiping each other out.