Doctor Who S34E9: "Flatline" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who S34E9: "Flatline" Spoilers

Post by Crazedwraith »

aka Clara Who s1e1! That's was a hell of a coincidence after all the jokes.

I actually really liked this one. Clara gets the chance to see what its actually like to be the Doctor failing to save individuals in the process of trying to save the whole. Trapping the doctor in the TARDIs gave it an interesting dynamic and no one was too annoying.

Some minor niggles. The use of the sonic really was magic wand like. Unless there was something in those two episodes I missed she shouldn't know how to operate it. She just pointed and good things happened. And I guess you could say the black graffiti artist for a troubled estate is not exactly mould breaking characterisation.

But on the whole, best, at least least objectionable episode of this series for me.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Re: Doctor Who S34E9: "Flatline" Spoilers

Post by DaveJB »

I was surprised to learn that when the TARDIS activates its "lockdown" mode, it apparently turns into the Lament Configuration Box. :shock:

All things told though, definitely a good story. They hit the right balance in terms of Clara being shown as a capable character, while still needing the Doctor's guidance throughout.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

All around good episode.

The Doctor said at one point that he was controlling the settings of the sonic screwdriver from inside the TARDIS I think.

Also, the siege mode was similar to something featured in the Eighth Doctor novels, where the TARDIS was nearly destroyed and it took the form of a small black cube while it regenerated over many years, which was nice for those that liked 'em.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It was pretty good. I would give this one a 4. An interesting premise, well executed.

Was I the only one who expected the Council worker to be involved with the aliens somehow? He struck me as being, well, too determined to stop people doing anything about the problem to merely be an asshole.

The siege mode reminded me of the capsule failsafe switch from "The Invasion of Time," which apparently makes the TARDIS stay in it's current form "for eternity." Maybe he modified it during the Time War.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Crazedwraith wrote:Trapping the doctor in the TARDIs gave it an interesting dynamic and no one was too annoying.
Apart from Mr. No Imagination (kind of a funny scene in itself) apparently not too bothered by what Clara whispered to him. :banghead:

And I had to laugh at the Doctor doing his Thing... :twisted:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Yeah I wasn't sure what the point of Mr No imagination was, someone to be a bit antagonistic? Just there is subvert the expectation that he's turn out good in some way?
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

So the list of things that psychic paper doesn't work on now includes:

- People that know about psychics and how to screen them out (Torchwood dude in Army of Ghosts)
- Geniuses (Shakespeare)
- People with no imagination

Presumably actual psychics as well though off top of my head I can't remember that being mentioned at all.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Bedlam wrote:Yeah I wasn't sure what the point of Mr No imagination was, someone to be a bit antagonistic? Just there is subvert the expectation that he's turn out good in some way?
I think he was there to make the point that while the Doctor (and Clara-as-the-Doctor) will always try to save everyone, that doesn't mean that he necessarily deems them worthy of survival over the ones who did die. Which was already done all the way back in Voyage of the Damned, although to be fair neither Moffat nor the writer of this episode had any involvement in that one.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

DaveJB wrote:I was surprised to learn that when the TARDIS activates its "lockdown" mode, it apparently turns into the Lament Configuration Box. :shock:

All things told though, definitely a good story. They hit the right balance in terms of Clara being shown as a capable character, while still needing the Doctor's guidance throughout.
I was thinking of the Pandorica.

Good episode, certainly better than the last three (those the Express was still decent).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Weird, but the good Dr Who kind of weird. The visuals of the Doctor looking out of his ever shrinking TARDIS could've been done better I think and I would've liked to know what motivation the aliens had to do...whatever it was they were trying to do but by and large good episode.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

DaveJB wrote:They hit the right balance in terms of Clara being shown as a capable character, while still needing the Doctor's guidance throughout.
I just watched the repeat. I still can't decide whether she could still hear him now and then over the earpiece after the TARDIS went into siege mode, or whether that bit was all Clara-channelling-The-Doctor.

A slightly spine-chilling phrase at the end there: "You made an exceptional Doctor. Goodness is irrelevant."

And another appearance of the mystery dead-people-collector. Is this further proof that she's the one who gave Clara that phone number?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Batman wrote:Weird, but the good Dr Who kind of weird. The visuals of the Doctor looking out of his ever shrinking TARDIS could've been done better I think and I would've liked to know what motivation the aliens had to do...whatever it was they were trying to do but by and large good episode.
I think the pointlessness of them actually worked rather well, these are supposed to be totally incomprehensible creatures from a totally different universe, maybe it all made complete sense to them and the humans seemed totally bizarre to them.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I like it that the Doctor lightens the TARDIS' mass, stating that if he landed with its true weight it would (going by fuzzy memory) either fracture the Earth or the crust.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Good episode and I like how they leave off the motivation of the aliens
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

All-round decent episode with some ingenius ideas behind it. The scenes with the ever-shrinking TARDIS made for some hilarious moments. I am a little annoyed at Clara's character progression these days though. She's gone from being present in every single moment of the Doctor's life via the season 7 finale to actually 'being' the Doctor itself. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if Moffat makes Capaldi regenerate into a Clara doppelganger in a few years.
Oh, and the council worker was just an unforgivably intense arsehole for no reason. But overall, it's a solid 4/5.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

SpottedKitty wrote:A slightly spine-chilling phrase at the end there: "You made an exceptional Doctor. Goodness is irrelevant."
Well that fits in nicely with the "Good men don't need rules, today is not the day to find out why I have so many" bit from Smith's run.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

"You were an exceptional Doctor, Clara. Goodness had nothing to do with it."
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also the Doctor proclaiming he is the protector of this "plane" not the Earth or humanity struck me as poignant and leads back to the point that he doesn't really have an affinity towards Earth or her inhabitants, but to Clara herself.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

dragon wrote:Good episode and I like how they leave off the motivation of the aliens
There are some sci-fi writers out there that realize that not every... single... fucking... thing needs an explanation. To paraphrase something Stark said recently, "It's not a fucking plothole just because it's a mystery."
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And I have to say, this has been my favorite season of DW since Eccelston's stellar season.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I also liked the Doctor seeming to get over his issues and actually fight the monsters at the end; for once the 'I am the Doctor' speech seemed appropriate, as it's the first time we've seen Capaldi actually step into the role of his predecessors, and rather than being a vague empty threat, it was instantly and lethally followed up on.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think, and I feel this is reflected in the last scene, that he has realized that it doesn't matter if he is a Good Man, because he is The Mother Fucking Doctor and he does what he must so that others, especially those he cares about, don't have to.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

NecronLord wrote:I also liked the Doctor seeming to get over his issues and actually fight the monsters at the end; for once the 'I am the Doctor' speech seemed appropriate, as it's the first time we've seen Capaldi actually step into the role of his predecessors, and rather than being a vague empty threat, it was instantly and lethally followed up on.
I thought he just sent them back where they came from? Unless I missed something.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

InsaneTD wrote:
NecronLord wrote:I also liked the Doctor seeming to get over his issues and actually fight the monsters at the end; for once the 'I am the Doctor' speech seemed appropriate, as it's the first time we've seen Capaldi actually step into the role of his predecessors, and rather than being a vague empty threat, it was instantly and lethally followed up on.
I thought he just sent them back where they came from? Unless I missed something.
He also said that some MAY survive. Meaning the process is quite possibly lethal and he didn't care.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

How much would the TARDIS have to weigh in order to fracture the Earth's surface? Cause the Doctor says that if he did land the TARDIS with its true weight, it would fracture the Earth's surface.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!