The Galactic Empire invade the Star Gate Universe

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

The Galactic Empire invade the Star Gate Universe

Post by Gurgeh »

A wormhole is discovered at the edge of the Unknown Regions by the Galactic Empire that leads to the Stargate Milky Way Galaxy on their edge of the Galaxy. The Galactic Empire sends a scout team to investigate and found that the galaxy was ripe for the taking. How do you think the Stargate Universe could handle a Galactic Empire invasion?
Suppose they invaded during these three time periods.

1. During the early seasons 1 through 4
2. During Season 5 through 8
3. During season 8 through 10 of SG1
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Re: The Galactic Empire invade the Star Gate Universe

Post by lord Martiya »

They get conquered, fast: the only ships who may or may not give a Star Destroyer a run for its money are the Ori motherships and ships equipped with the latest Asgard weapons and shields, and there's a lot more Star Destroyers than those. The only thing (some) Stargate ships have a clear advantage with is insterstellar travel speed, and a simple Imperial sector fleet is large enough to aquire tactical superiority anyway.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Although anyone with a high-end hyperdrive from the Stargate Universe can, if all else fails, run to another galaxy if they want; the Empire cannot really follow. Could make for some interesting plots to have such a 'government-in-exile.' I don't remember the exact plot of Atlantis but it might be tied into that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It doesn't matter what time-period this wormhole arises in, the SG Milky Way is fucked. Consider that the only spacefaring glactic power is the Goa'uld and their technology will not stand up to ISD's. Aside from them, you have the Asgard, who could probably put up a decent fight given that their industrial base is beyond the Empire's reach (and they can cross between galaxies in anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours) but prior to Season 8 the Asgard are busy fighting the Replicators, so they won't be able to help.

The Ori may be a threat, but their initial wave was only four ships, and I suspect that a Sector Fleet would do a lot better in a slugging match than the Human/Asgard/Tokra/Jaffa fleet did at the end of season 9. Then you just bombard the damn supergate until it dies.

If we assume the Humans are at their peak (post-season 5 of Atlantis) then have Atlantis at EArth with a full load of ZPM's, they have five BC-304's and perhaps a dozen squadrons of F302s and the Ancient Weapons Platform. That will not stop a Sector Fleet.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's hard to find information to quantify how strong the SG weapons really are. We see Goa'uld plasma cannons blowing craters in the ground and able to destroy an aircraft carrier, but not much more. Ori weapons can blow through a Ha'tak in a single shot so we know they are an order of magnitude more powerful...but we still don't see them cracking planets open or anything...they just make even bigger craters. Standard Asgard weapons are useless against the Ori but work against the Goa'uld so we can place them in the middle. The plasma weapons fitted to the Odyssey still take several hits to take out an Ori mothership, so we can place them a little bit more powerful than the main Ori beam weapons (but not much more).

Now with that said, if the biggest on-screen ship-mounted weapons we see are only capable if hitting with the force of a large nuke, that means even the Ori and the Asgard would have their asses handed to them by the Empire. Wraith? No contest, even when the hives are upgraded with a ZPM.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Guys guys guys, you're forgetting the Galactic Empire's one glaring weakness: a small band of plucky heroes. Teal'c will hold off the stormtroopers while O'Neill mouths off to Darth Vader*, and Jackson transliterates the aurebesh allowing Carter to overload the Death Star's reactor. :D

*O'Neill has never seen Star Wars
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Empire lost the Death Star in ANH too.Didn't slow them down all that much :)
And I'm afraid O'Neill absolutely has seen Star Wars. Not that I see why that would make a difference, he mouths off to System Lords all the time.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Well, he hadn't seen it as of Season 5. Off the top of my head, I don't remember any lines suggesting otherwise later on.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I expect the Stargate Universe will handle it as usual - Invent / Find a magic solution that will fix everything.
The Ark of Truth, Dakara super weapon and intervention by godly Ascended beings all seem viable.

Outside of space god magic, the Empire should have no issue just sending a ship to Earth and blowing Stargate Command from orbit. Even if the attack is suicidal... the exposure of the program to the public would cause fantastic issues that takes Earth out of any fight. Without Earth the rest of the galactic powers are less than impressive.
Asgard - They dont have the resources to engage the Goauld even when their technology is fully capable of going up against Ori motherships.

Not to mention the Asgard have a cloning issue... something the Empire might be able to assist with given history with Clone Wars.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Well, he hadn't seen it as of Season 5. Off the top of my head, I don't remember any lines suggesting otherwise later on.
He jokes in the Season 7 opener that he wanted the call sign 'Red Leader' for his trenchrunesque attach on Anubis' mothership. Though likely if to know that reference just from general knowledge is anyone guess.

Or even if he was being serious in Ascenion.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

In s2's '1969' one of the names O'Neill gives when interrogated in the past is 'Luke Skywalker'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The only time, off the top of my head, we actually get a hard number on beam weaponry when we get the '200 megaton' figure for Ha'tak weaponry. Never do the visuals show us that measure of firepower, but it gives a high-end for Goa'uld weaponry at least.

A high-end that doesn't match up in the slightest with Star Wars.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

To be fair, a Ha'tak is hardly the most powerful force in Stargate.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:To be fair, a Ha'tak is hardly the most powerful force in Stargate.
They are however the biggest force in Stargate the Empire has to deal with. At peak we only see a handful of ships from the Asgard, Ori even the Tau'ri which even if they were capable of engaging the Empire technologically would be woefully outnumbered.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The only substantial advantage Stargate has in *any* area is speed, and that's limited mainly to the Asgard and Tau'ri; the Goa'uld are consistently described as being slower. There is little hard data on Ancient hyperdrives, but the Goa'uld use basically the same technology. It can cover a decent distance (Chulak-Earth) in a few hours, but across the galaxy it's a bit slow compared to Asgard. So Asgard hyperdrive is a possible bargaining chip. Travel between galaxies in a matter of minutes? Hell yes. Plus their fairly reliable beaming technology and some very decent healing tech are things that they could offer.

Firepower wise, the high ends fall into SW range-- but they're rare. In general they're an order of magnitude or two below. Ground firepower? Forget it. Staff weapons are blaster-range at least, but they're, well, staff weapons. One area I do have to give the Jaffa points for-- more often than SW depicts at least, they've got staff cannons in ground positions and actually use them sometimes :P

Manpower wise: Bit of a joke. While the Goa'uld united could command a decent army, it's a bunch of Jaffa, who are nowhere near as well protected as stormtroopers. Though one could argue that they have about the same level of tactical competence... but ultimately the Empire has way more toys for their troopers than anybody else does. Walkers and Juggernauts to start. Nobody in SG has anywhere like that kind of tactical moving fortification, or the firepower to penetrate it (naquadah bombs notwithstanding).

If SG really has to fight? I foresee a few suicide attempts with naq' bombs. The only other options are surrendering, trying to escape with their superior speed, and being obliterated or otherwise subjugated. They have some very interesting technological bits and pieces that they don't really have in SW-- the Stargate system in particular could be very useful as it offers the capability to cross the galaxy in *seconds*-- but the rest of their technology in general is either one-off single-episode wonders, paralleled by SW tech, or too weird to really be useful.

In particular I could see this causing something of a crisis of faith among the Goa'uld, especially if the Empire can figure out how to remove the symbiotes and eliminate the Jaffa's dependency upon them. So it might be a matter of self-preservation for them to continue fighting. On the other hand, I doubt the Empire really would care much about the Goa'uld symbiote-mindrape thing if the System Lords and such surrendered and behaved themselves... kind of depends on where they are in SG1 though. Early SG1 they would be more likely to resist, later on they might be more pragmatic.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Personally, I imagine the Goa'uld and Ori to be the only ones who unequivocally will fight the Empire. The latter may even stand something of a chance...yes, they're limited to the Supergate, but the Empire is limited to their Wormhole until they build up some infrastructure. Both sides have an entire Galaxy to muster (there is no way the Ori haven't been seeding planets ala the Ancients on some level...more humans=more power), though I imagine the Empire has the production edge since the Ori's human population is primitive and very spread out in small-ish villages. If the Ori can keep building Supergates, they can keep sending ships through and it becomes a slugging match. Interesting to watch really.

The Asgard though? I don't see them fighting unless they catch a stupid bug. They fought the Ori, yes. But that was because the Ori were in fact coming to conquer and convert the entire Milky Way. Not fighting would have been stupid. But the Empire? All it takes is some nice propaganda and the Asgard may go 'lesser of two evils' and try negotiating a new Protected Planets Treaty, once they see the Empire steamrolling the Goa'uld. After all, admittedly pretty bad Empire, is still better than outright enslaving Goa'uld.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

One thing that popped into my head is that sometime during season 1 the Goa'uld managed a major improvement in hyperdrive speed. Once they realize they are on a Ha'tak Teal'c says such a vessel can travel at ten times the speed of light, only to leater realize they move a hell of a lot faster. That's quite a jump.

Also, in season 10's "Counterstrike" we see Ori motherships levelling a mountain with their main guns. I've no idea what the yield works out as but it's a good example.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Damn. I always kinda hoped that '10 c' blunder was a translation error.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Empire has a replicator problem, almost immediately, to the replicators, they are a pile of new technologies to assimilate, including whole worlds of droids where there is hardly a human presence, a hyper-drive that is slow as molasses compared to what the replicators have, and then some. Importantly, the SW galaxy has far more usable materials than the SG galaxy. Even when the replicators are destroyed, after season 10 the earth government has shown able and willing to create new replicators to attack an enemy.

Likewise, the sheer scope of the SW Galaxy will make pinning down or removing the replicators almost impossible, while replicator numbers can rapidly grow. Their only hope is that this wormhole can be bottlenecked in some way by the Empire to stop the bugs finding them - how far away is the wormhole's other end, can it be accessed by intergalactic hyperdrive?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Can't believe I forgot about the bugs.

Yeah, the Empire is not going to have a fun time with the Replicators, especially with their resistance to energy weapons. Could a blaster kill one? If not, they're out of luck until they can start phasing in some slugthrowers.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The Empire DOES have slugthrowers in their arsenal and I'm sure that they would mass produce those in a jiffy. Then think about the non-energy melee weapons they have such as the vibro-axes and such. I can see the Empire building legions of combat droids armed with vibro-blades and hefting concussion grenades similar to what we use today.

As far as energy weapons, replicators seem to be like the Borg in that they are seen to adapt to energy weapon fire but are weak vs projectiles. Logically, they have to have an upper limit though...so one question is how much more powerful a standard blaster is vs a staff weapon or a zat. Another question is if indirect fire will work. We know that blaster bolts can cause explosive damage at the point of impact. Is there enough of a kinetic impact to affect the replicator directly, or would a near miss blow up enough of the floor to act like a small grenade?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Borgholio wrote:The Empire DOES have slugthrowers in their arsenal and I'm sure that they would mass produce those in a jiffy. Then think about the non-energy melee weapons they have such as the vibro-axes and such. I can see the Empire building legions of combat droids armed with vibro-blades and hefting concussion grenades similar to what we use today.

As far as energy weapons, replicators seem to be like the Borg in that they are seen to adapt to energy weapon fire but are weak vs projectiles. Logically, they have to have an upper limit though...so one question is how much more powerful a standard blaster is vs a staff weapon or a zat.

What's your source on sidearm blasters having greater firepower than staff weapons? There's various examples of staff weapons breaking rocks, going right through people, killing from near misses and so on, just as with blasters.
Another question is if indirect fire will work. We know that blaster bolts can cause explosive damage at the point of impact.
Like this you mean? Folk in SG get killed by near misses from staff weapons too, just like blasters.
Is there enough of a kinetic impact to affect the replicator directly, or would a near miss blow up enough of the floor to act like a small grenade?
Unlikely, Staff weapons reliably blast people off their feet, just like blasters.

These things may be cumbersome, but they do pack a punch. Until we see numbers for each, I'm going to base my assumptions off 'roughly equal power' because we see broadly equal effects, and therefore presume replicators are able to shrug off blasters.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Important question too, who in canon Star Wars (not Legacies) actually uses slugthrowers? I'm hard pressed to think of anything but a Kaminoan Saber Dart, which is presumably worthless on metallic targets.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

What's your source on sidearm blasters having greater firepower than staff weapons?
I have none, I was asking. :) We see Han's blaster taking huge chunks out of the walls of the docking bay which we don't see from any pistol-sized weapons in the SG-verse, only the staff-weapons. So it makes sense that if you scale up a hand blaster to the size of a rifle, it should be more powerful than a staff.
Unlikely, Staff weapons reliably blast people off their feet, just like blasters.
I only asked because as far as I remember, the only time we saw staff weapons used against replicators was a direct hit...which the bug absorbed easily enough. We don't see the effect of a near-miss.
Important question too, who in canon Star Wars (not Legacies) actually uses slugthrowers?
Tusken Raiders.

Also possibly Chewie's Crossbow, and I think Durge has wrist-mounted spike throwers in TCW.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I do not see the Replicators being an issue to the SW galaxy. They would need to get through the wormhole to reach the SW galaxy and the Empire leaving a beachhead like that unguarded is unlikely.
Unless the Replicators are going to literally mass rush the wormhole the Empire should be able to hold the line and this would be the one point where I can see the Asgard trying to ally with the Empire.
The Empire has access to way more resources and combat prowess than any of the SG powers and it is in the best interest of everyone the Replicators do not assimilate SW technology.

As for the speed advantage - SW has the technology to disrupt hyperdrives so if it works on SG engines the Empire can prevent them from running.
Ground wise - SW can produce droids in numbers that would drown everyone except the Replicators in bodies if they really wanted to
The best armor was the Kruul Stormtroopers which despite being fantastically awesome was never really deployed that well. Maybe that can withstand shots from Star Wars weapons but Star Wars tech is varied enough that options exist to circumvent this. Simplest option would be to deploy some of the heavier combat droids which should be more than capable of splattering a Kruul warrior.

An interesting fight would be Vader vs Adria / Priors. I fully expect Vader to wipe the floor with them through simply being aggressive enough to cut their heads off but in a battle of space magic. Does an Ascended being out-power a a Force User ?
I would love to see the verbal exchange between the Emperor and Anubis / Adria / Priors.