Transformers Prime show switches with G1 (Rar?)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Transformers Prime show switches with G1 (Rar?)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The year is 1982, Hasbro flush with the success of GI JOE has purchased the rights to the Japanese toy series "diaclone" which features transforming robots.
Jim Shooter and Dennis O'Neil are hired to crest a back story as well as script ideas...

During their first meeting however , a huge stack of paper has appeared in their meeting room.
The first page is titled "transformers" and begins with a character named "RC" talking to her partner...

What happens next?
Does anyone think the show could have taken the place of the orginal ?
Given the violence in it, does anyone think it could have been produced? Or would it seriously have needed to be "sanitized" ?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Transformers Prime show switches with G1 (Rar?)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I just started watching Prime. Good show :D.
(Am I better off spending time on it or TF Animated? I haven't watched the latter. Or Beast wars.)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

We're talking over 30 years ago, now. It was a different world, and the kind of seriousness and tone of the show wouldn't work for the target audience. Look at the kind of responses the 1986 movie got, and it really wasn't as violent or dark as Prime.

That being said, there are definitely a lot of areas that could have been improved in G1. I would have started by making most of the transformers less annoying, and perhaps spent a bit more time on Cybertron, (did they ever make any Cybertronian alt-mode toys?)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

They would have rejected it and produced something more in line with the sensibility of the times which coincidentally featured all the preexisting toys they wanted to sell to children. (ie. the original G1 cartoon show)

Remember that the original point of Transformers was to mash together a bunch of already existing toys into a product which could be marketed.

You might have been able to sell it in place of something like TF: Victory, but that was a sequel show to sell the new toys not a rework of the original to sell more complicated toys that resemble older toys.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Vendetta wrote:Remember that the original point of Transformers was to mash together a bunch of already existing toys into a product which could be marketed.
So very this. Every toy in the G1 line up already existed before the show was ever created. Sorta like Robotech in a way.

That said I actually kinda miss the old G1 style of toys where you had the mini bots, the 'regular' sized toys and the 'big ones'. I'd much rather have a little Bumblebee, a medium Sunstreaker and a big Optimus to collect than all three at all sizes. I get why they do it, just expressing my preference- it just doesn't feel right to make a giant Bumblebee (less so with his 'medium' status) or a tiny Prime. Eh, each to their own.
Dragon Clan Veritech