Transformers: Age of Extinction

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction

Post by biostem »

Cykeisme wrote:I know you guys are discussing more serious stuff, but I have something to say about fight choreography..

Why do Bay's transformers roll around on the ground so much?
His designs appear to have a low center of gravity relative to their width, which is fine, but they keep doing weird flips and rolling around on the ground when they're engaging both with ranged weapons and physical hand-to-hand.

It's okay sometimes, but it looks silly when it seems to be their general style (they do it a lot).

I think part of the issue is that, while the first movie was pretty good about giving the transformers a sense of weight and deliberateness with their movements, the later ones made them too agile for their size. It's too bad we didn't see more transformative combat - like how Hot Rod rammed Galvatron in car mode then transformed once he grabbed him.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Bay's TF films bug me on so many levels. I am convinced he's fucking with fans at this point. Once you decide you want a) a red Italian Sports car (not a GMC), Autobot twins and Sideswipe. Yet somehow we end up with a silver GMC who thinks he's the hottest shit (a trait of Sunstreaker, Sideswipes twin) and a red ferrari called Dino who inexplicably speaks English with an Italian accent/mannerisms.

It takes either special kind of genius to have so many elements in play and miss every mark.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I recently rewatched the first movie and it struck me just how poorly the movie flowed between scenes both in terms of geography and sense of time passing with cuts. Besides the obvious point that as in most Bay films the sun is perpetually setting which obviously affects the sense of time passing.

I noticed that every scene that featured air support had aircraft taking off in one scene and over the target with only a scene cut. This was especially notable in the scenes against Scorponok in Qatar. The team goes from making their phone call to having immediate air support from two different aircraft types. The A-10s that showed up first had pilot climbing into the airplanes less than a minute before the scene. The AC-130 simply appeared. In a rather minor note I also noticed that in the AWACS scene all of the screens were off(obviously because what they would have shown was classified and it cut quickly enough that it wasn't obvious).

There was a quote from Roger Ebert in 2009 (in which he was comparing Transformers with The Hurt Locker) that rather accurately summarizes the problem with these movies for me:"When we merely want to see stuff blowed up real good in a movie, that means the movie contains no one we give a damn about." Despite the pretty effects there was absolutely no emotional connection to anyone. And this was from the first movie which is almost certainly the best.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Oh, there was an emotional connection to the characters. But it was always a negative one, since they were established as being Grade A douchebags with no redeeming traits.
The most glaring example of this was, of course, the human characters - with Shia LeJerkWad's leading the pack.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Grumman wrote:If a Transformer wants to roll around on the ground, that's fine. But that's what the wheels are for.
:lol:
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Sooooo

Anyone seen the movie yet? It actually seems to be doing strong at the box office, but I expect that to die down pretty quick :P
Personally I am curious exactly how much busy continuous the trend of movies with plots as thin as tissue :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nope Not Even Bothered to waste the money
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gill
Redshirt

Post by Gill »

I suppose I'll bite.

I saw the movie, but only because it was part of a double feature where 22 Jump Street would be playing afterwards.

The most noticeable feature of the movie was it's length: It was very long at two hours and forty-five minutes running time and managed to feel even longer than that. The almost non-stop action got a little tiring (pauses were brief and tended to be of the normal Michael Bay variety: Insert attempts at family bonding or humor here!), but that would happen anyway if one were to think during any of the Transformers movies. At least it didn't commit the crime of being boring for the entire length as Skyline and The Happening were, and it delivers exactly what's on the front cover: Dinosaur robots, explosions and pretty much the same soundtrack you've heard in the other films.

If you have no expectations (as I certainly did not), the movie's at least entertaining even if it seems like a spiritual copy of the first movie of the, "man meets car that's actually robot, saves the world" variety. Stanley Tucci's character was comic relief to Age of Extinction as John Turturro's was to the other entries, and I guess it was kind of fun envisioning Mark Wahlberg as a down-on-his-luck inventor? And Ken Watanabe as a cartoonish samurai Bugatti was potentially slightly less offensive than being a cartoonish samurai NSX or something? And what do you know: John Goodman's robot was fat!

If you are expecting a good film, you're really watching the wrong movie and there's nothing to see here that you haven't already seen before. The Transformers cartoon was itself a bastion of mediocrity, and I watched very much ever episode of the first two seasons plus the original animated movie (which actually had a pretty sweet soundtrack in comparison to this). Although it did really get pretty jarring listening to Optimus Prime threaten to kill human beings every now and then. I thought the Autobots had a thing about not killing that was central to the concept of them being the good guys, but I guess we're in the Jack Bauer era now.

Though the movie does get points for having a lead character who doesn't spend his entire time screaming for Bumblebee's help.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I liked it. Optimus' threats against humans made sense: they fought alongside them, were promised sanctuary, but then they started hunting his fellow Autobots? I can see him getting pissed. Even then his inner nobility constantly struggled against it and he pulled back. Except for the CIA guy but A) he deserved it and B) it was straight defense-of-others for Mark Wahlberg's character, so it was a clean shoot.

Granted, the humans weren't supposed to be doing that, and it was the CIA guys going rogue. I like how the movie did that. I think it makes sense to 'cancel' the alliance and essentially let the Autobots go to ground on the part of the US government. Sadly, the guys who were supposed to be hunting the remaining Decepticons gave no fucks and went after any Transformer they could find. :(

I thought it was enjoyable. I didn't really feel the length except in my butt because the theater I went to had terrible seats. And the human characters were much better this time around. I miss the NEST dudes, but then if they'd been there they could have much more easily blown the lid on the rogue CIA group - probably knowing they were rogue in targeting Autobots, which these human protagonists wouldn't have known the USG wanted to kill all the 'bots for some reason - so I guess it makes sense not to include them.

All in all a good film, if maybe a bit on the long side. But I never had the feeling of wanting to check my watch so it was good enough to keep me entertained. I'll just make sure I go to a theater with better seats next time. ;)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

My observations:

Non-spoiler: Sam Witwicky is not in this film. The in-universe explanation is simple: in the previous two sequels, San got involved when: a) in ROTF, a shard of the AllSpark did a data dump into his brain, b) and in DOTM, Sam was hired by a company secretly working with the Decepticons. And the events of this film seem to take place over five days, and there was no reason for any of the Autobots to contact Sam Witwicky. Spoiler
Ratchet, one of the Autobots from the first film, is killed. Earlier in the scene, a transformer (later revealed to be Lockdown) is noted as hiding in the water, and the scene seems to imply that the humans were looking for Lockdown, until Ratchet reveals himself and they start pursuing Ratchet.
Spoiler
Optimus was much rougher with the Cemetery Wind forces than the Sector Seven agents in the first film. One reason is that the Cemetery Wind agents were actually threatening to murder Tessa, while Sector Seven was not threatening to murder anyone.
Spoiler
The Dinobots were legendary Cybertronian knights who used Earth;'s dinosaurs as an alternate mode
Spoiler
Transformium. Its properties explain how transformers can change their alt-modes without having to undergo major surgery. This leads to....
Spoiler
KSI's transformers. They transform by coming apart at the cellular level, as if each cell was a component of a combiner. This would imply much greater versatility ion being able to choose alt-modes. the film does not reveal what disadvantages exist to this method of transformation, nor does it reveal whether or not this would be available to the cybertronian transformers.
Spoiler
How was Optiomus Prime able to fly into low Earth orbit in the end? Was there a delrted scene where Yaeger installed a jet pack. Did Prime scan a Chinese fighter jet for a new alt-mode just before leaving
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Saw the movie yesterday. Complaints about how the human characters are Grade A assholes who make the audience want to reach through the screen and strangle them, are valid, but ultimately the LEAST of problems with the movie.

IDW comics published after the All Hail Megatron storyline, seem to have inspired the script, specifically borrowing the idea the US military will indiscriminately hunt Transformers after the Decepticons launched a devastating assault on an American city, such that the Transformers' presence on Earth can no longer be kept secret; and the idea the Autobots will remain on Earth to defend humans, despite the fact Transformers are not welcome on this planet, regardless of their factional alignment (see For All Mankind). But why should the Autobots remain on Earth in this situation? They're alien robots who can travel through space unaided (in the movies)! They can just ring Earth with a thousand surveillance satellites to keep an eye on us, and then leave the planet- no need to endanger themselves in a pointless "peacekeeping mission."

Then there's the private company attempting to reverse-engineer Cybertron technology, with the goal of winning military contracts. Will the US government- hell, will ANY government on this planet, tolerate a non-government organization researching such technology, without direct government oversight? At the very least, the labs will literally overflow with surveillance and counter-surveillance systems, security guards and checkpoints and procedures, to deny the nation's enemies any and all useful information and technology- specifically, information and technology that can be used against the nation.

So this company builds a Transformer for the US military, which then uses it against a Cybertronian Transformer. The US military Transformer is damaged in battle, so the company wants to ship it to its research lab in China- wait, CHINA? Won't the US military- and by extension, the US government- object to a company transferring high-tech weapons technology to a major rival? If you say they won't, then you must explain why; at least include a throwaway line about a Chinese-American alliance against the Transformers.

Then there's the problem Chuck mentioned in his 'Transformers' review, namely, the film producers put so much shit into the story, all plot threads are starved of time in the limelight, and cannot be properly developed as a result; and they put so many characters into the story, no characters can be properly developed. At the very least, why are they wasting time on Crosshairs, whose only notable characteristics are a bad attitude and insubordination? Why not give more screen time to Grimlock, who adds "entertaining" and "easily identifiable" to the same characteristics? At least hire a voice actor for the Dinobot!
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Sidewinder wrote: Then there's the private company attempting to reverse-engineer Cybertron technology, with the goal of winning military contracts. Will the US government- hell, will ANY government on this planet, tolerate a non-government organization researching such technology, without direct government oversight? At the very least, the labs will literally overflow with surveillance and counter-surveillance systems, security guards and checkpoints and procedures, to deny the nation's enemies any and all useful information and technology- specifically, information and technology that can be used against the nation.
Apparently, Attinger was the government official handling the oversight.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

amigocabal wrote:Apparently, Attinger was the government official handling the oversight.
What government on this planet will entrust a single person with such potentially devastating technology, unless the person in question is a military dictatorship's head-of-government? At the very least, there should be a uniformed (active duty) member of the US military, demanding more security for the manmade Transformer. Let's be honest, there's no way the CIA will have the budget to fund development of a manmade Transformer; if they do, Congress will want to know why the CIA is using taxpayers' money to fund development of military robots, instead of GATHERING INTELLIGENCE; and the moment the Pentagon learns of this program (and they WILL learn, because it's impossible to hide the billion-dollar hole this program will dig into the budget), the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps will all demand the program be put under their supervision.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yep, glad I didn't bother.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Michael Bay movies are really movies there for watching explosions and bangs. Trying to figure around inconsistencies is a futile effort. Leave your brain at the door when you enter the movie theater.

Other than that, I enjoyed the fighting. Yeah, that was all there was to it in the movie that I liked.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The film felt long and kept losing any momentum it achieved with the pauses of useless filler bullshit.
Comedy scenes - For fuck sake, leave it alone already because these invariably never work
Human melodrama -It is better than the previous films but that is extremely low praise. Useless teenage daughter having boyfriend drama with her dad straight out of Armageddon only worse.
Mark Wahlberg worked and the evil-turned-good company dude but everyone else I could not give a shit about. I kept wishing they had gotten caught up in the grenade blast at the start.

Ammunition - I find it sad these movies routinely show the transformers using guns etc. without any indication of how or where they are getting them from. Then you have scenes where they bitch about running out of ammo. Mark Wahlberg happily picks a transformer tech gun off the wall and happily ends up using it to take pot shots at everything without any issue of ammo.

Transformers - Extremely underwhelming and confusing because of the new backstory they seem to have invented for Transformers. The Dinobots are still Transformers so... they decide to stick in their dinobot form for most of the film rather than transform to have more options for combat maneuverability.
Oh yeah, the new grade transformers can magically fly like a swarm and the movie heavily implies they can transform into ANYTHING they like. Hence you have that stupid scene of the scientist turning a toy pony into a gun or a sphere block into speakers.
So... if they can fly in a swarm and / or transform into anything they like... why the fuck would they climb by 'hand' up buildings to get to higher ground. Hell, they could just turn into planes and Optimus Prime would be roundly fucked.

Family Friendly - These films are routinely annoying the fuck out of me because of the dancing they are doing. You want to have family friendly violence so its okay to show Transformers brutally mauling each other but humans show no wear and tear from being thrust into a battle against giant robots that cause epic levels of destruction. Oh but by all means have the character tell old ladies to "get the fuck out of the way" because that is totally funny and even when Transformers directly target humans they suddenly tone it down. Lockdown trying to take out Wahlberg repeatedly to the point Wahlberg is literally holding him back with his hands.

Make the film an 18 and go all out in your horrific violence that can actually show humans getting pasted like they should be beside the Transformers with obscene language. Instead it just creates a massive disconnect when you are seeing robots routinely use brutal violence on one another but somehow even Megatron has signed up to the pact that says to use kiddy gloves on humans.

Product Placement - Ugh, Victoria's Secret, Beatbox, Samsung, Budweiser, Red Bull... the Budweiser and the Beatbox were easily the most obtrusively pointless bits of bullshit I have seen.

Overall, gigantic waste of time filled with a gigantic amount of pointless destruction strung together with another paper-thin thread and just as consistent. Bring on the next film where we can see that Optimus Prime has yet again, achieved fuck all.
Unless they want to try and throw in Optimus Prime joining Guardians of the Galaxy... the ending really strikes me as someone trying desperately to be 'awesome' without consideration of where they are going.
Optimus Prime leaves Earth... so the next film is going to be in space away from Earth without humans - Okay that might be innovative but I doubt that
So Optimus has been written out of the franchise - Yeah, right
So the film basically shows Optimus flying away but the next film will inevitably have him come back so we can get more exposition dumps that really explain fuck all and all the drama sucked out into more useless human bullshit.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

PREDATOR490 wrote: Oh yeah, the new grade transformers can magically fly like a swarm and the movie heavily implies they can transform into ANYTHING they like. Hence you have that stupid scene of the scientist turning a toy pony into a gun or a sphere block into speakers.
So... if they can fly in a swarm and / or transform into anything they like... why the fuck would they climb by 'hand' up buildings to get to higher ground. Hell, they could just turn into planes and Optimus Prime would be roundly fucked.
With the exception of Galvatron...

Spoiler
who is a reborn Megatron...
the new grade transformers have no combat experience; they did not turn into planes because the thought had not occurred to them. Even experienced combatants would not instantly understand the ramifications of new methods of fighting, let alone new weapons. Hell, in real life it took tens of thousands of dead soldiers to convince generals that charging at machine guns was a bad idea. Nothing in the movie indicated that Galvatron could have foreseen every practical application of his new method of transformation, especially not in the few days over which the movie took place.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Saw it for free in IMAX (I am seriously considering marrying my cinema-employed friend :lol: ). Maybe it was the impact of the beefed-up viewing experience, but I actually thought it was the best of the four. Faint praise indeed.
It's still absolutely caked in the same Bayist stupidity, but maybe my brain's just getting better at tuning out the utterly useless filler scenes and reducing their presence to a general background hum.
The action was very impressive, especially when the dinobots finally make their appearance. And I'm glad the racist overtones were toned down to one single Japanese stereotype in Transformer form. Still unfortunate, but he was actually pretty cool.
Was I the only one kind of rooting for the bounty hunter robot to win? He was pretty badass.
Megan_Fox_3.0 was entirely useless, save for helping get the sword out of Prime's chest. The scene with her boyfriend proving that they could legally have sex due to a legal technicality was cringe-inducing.
The human-made Transformers look like total shit when they transform, as if the CGI had been about 30% finished.
The soundtrack was awesome, as it has been in all the films. Well, the orchestral tracks were, the pop/rock tracks were annoying.
So yeah, it scrapes a 5/10 for me, with a point added for IMAX enhancement and it being a freebie :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Haven't seen it yet, but the one scene that ALMOST got me to buy a ticket was Optimus riding Grimlock. That was pure nerdgasm.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Can someone please explain to me what the FUCK is going on in Bayverse?

TF1 - Some mystic cube, gives "life" to transformers, source unknown.
TF2 - The "fallen", the dark Prime, the Primes are the ancestors of Optimus Prime. Apparently, they were meddling with early human civilizations. Killed Optimus for a while thus freeing the Fallen, Optimus was miraculously resurrecting with some leadership shard shit. Bad guys got their ass kicked.
TF3 - Return of Sentinel Prime, Optimus's mentor. Sentinel turned bad, Megatron died, all is good. Starscream got away.

TF4
- The transformer race apparently meddled with prehistoric earth changing all organic life to metal. How does this connect with historical events in TF2 about the Primes and ancient human civilization?
- Megatron was resurrected as Galvatron but he had no spark, so is a spark needed for transformer "life" now? It seems not, so what's the point of the allspark in TF1?
- What the fuck happened to starscream from TF3?
- Why did the autobots-human alliance break down until it was this bad? I know they didn't leave on good terms, but hunting down autobots???
- Who the fuck are the dinobots? Legendary ancient warriors is not a good enough explanation. Why can't they talk?
- Where the fuck did Lockdown come from? Why did the US made a deal with this guy? I mean trusting this alien whom you never met is so much more sensible than working with Optimus, who may be inconvenient but at least you know him.
-And why does Optimus fight like a pussy in TF4? He's pretty much was a bad ass since TF2, and now he can't take down Lockdown on his own?
-Since when did Optimus gain the ability to fly, into space nonetheless!?!?
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Borgholio wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but the one scene that ALMOST got me to buy a ticket was Optimus riding Grimlock. That was pure nerdgasm.
Ugh...if you say so.
You see this:

I see this:

Nothing about that is cool.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Starscream got away.
Starscream died in that film - Sam kills him.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

AndroAsc wrote:- Who the fuck are the dinobots? Legendary ancient warriors is not a good enough explanation. Why can't they talk?
I am convinced Bay is just trolling fans and has been for some time. He's made them all knights and noble warrior types. I know when I think of Dinobots I think of the nobility, codes of honour and the upper echelons of society. Certainly I've always associated Grimlock with the kind of rich culture and history of the Chinese warrior he is in this film.

But this is Bay. Take Sideswipe. Sideswipe is traditionally a European sports car (not a GM), bright red, an Autobot twin and brother to the extremely arrogant Sunstreaker. Now you'd think a film that features a bright red, non GM European sports car, Autobot twins AND Sideswipe... well somehow we got Sideswipe as a silver GM, with his brother's attitude, not a twin (ugh.. look what happened there) and a red Ferrari that wasn't Sideswipe(that went 'Dino'- an inexplicably Italian sounding bot).

I mean, he could have just as easily been the red Ferrari. Or yellow if you want him to be the combat monster that is Sunstreaker. Hell you could have had Sideswipe instead of Dino and a silver Sunsteaker. It takes *effort* to get so close yet miss *every* mark. That has to be trolling.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Why trolling? Isn't it far more likely that he just doesn't care?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

AndroAsc wrote:Can someone please explain to me what the FUCK is going on in Bayverse?
No, but I can give you some advice: Just watch Animated or even Prime instead.