THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, but he wasn't just doing it pro forma or simply for Xykon's benefit. He was really convinced that O-chul MUST know about Girard's defenses, regardless of all evidence to the contrary.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

True, but he did change his mind after he had what he considered proof.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I like how Redcloak vacillates in a very uncharacteristic way and can't even bring himself to look at Durkon when he comes to a decision. This has to be a big deal for him. Redcloak doesn't have friends or equals. The last one he had was his brother, who he killed. It's probably been decades since he's had someone other than Xykon who he can talk to about the Plan, and he lies his ass off to Xykon. Moreover, this is the first time a ranking cleric from a PC race has approached him as an equal and actually listened to him and his goals in a respectful manner. Even if it wasn't enough to budge him it clearly affected him deeply.

I mean, he just stood there and watched Tsukiko being eaten. He's not squeamish, or a waffler.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

1210's up

So yeah, basically Redcloak's stubbornness and ego getting in the way.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Nothing like getting hit by a Hammer of Thunderbolts bigger then you are to drive home 'and that was YOUR mistake'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

On the other hand, this most definitely means Team Evil and the Order are throwing down right now. Xykon can't possibly miss that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-11 05:22pm On the other hand, this most definitely means Team Evil and the Order are throwing down right now. Xykon can't possibly miss that.
Maybe not a full blown throw down. But definately a skirmish is about to happen.

The final battle HAS to occur in front of the Final Gate, with the Gods ready to destroy the world, and something pulling their fire out at the last second.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

On the other hand, this pegs Minrah as higher level than I expected. She's at least a ninth level cleric, and she has an unspecified number of fighter levels. Considering the implied limitations of her holy power in her introduction at the temple of Thor (1093), that's kind of surprising.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Hot damn. Nice comeback Durkon.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-11 07:55pm On the other hand, this pegs Minrah as higher level than I expected. She's at least a ninth level cleric, and she has an unspecified number of fighter levels. Considering the implied limitations of her holy power in her introduction at the temple of Thor (1093), that's kind of surprising.
Maybe the Hammer allows her to cast it?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Maybe she just gained levels as part of participating in a very high level encounter with a bunch of vampires
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2020-08-12 11:10pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-11 07:55pm On the other hand, this pegs Minrah as higher level than I expected. She's at least a ninth level cleric, and she has an unspecified number of fighter levels. Considering the implied limitations of her holy power in her introduction at the temple of Thor (1093), that's kind of surprising.
Maybe the Hammer allows her to cast it?
Redcloak is going to straight wreck her if all she's got going for her is the result of a magic item.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Depends on her plan. If it's grab Durkon and run, she might pull it off.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

1211 is up.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, he really should have given the explanation exactly as Thor told him everything.....

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Note that Redcloak didn't bother casting any of the spells he has access to that would tell him if someone is lying.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, but if I was a deity sending out someone to screw with the enemy like that, I'd make sure to make them believe the lie, so that those spells fail.

Hell, we do that in espionage campaigns.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Which implicitly assumes that Durkon is an actual divine messenger and not just 'some random dwarf.'

I suppose he could have been deceived by other mortals, but it would take a considerable amount of effort to convince a high level cleric that they directly met their deity and were told things he otherwise shouldn't be able to know about the Plan. Extreme, even.

Either way, no real point to him not doing so.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Pretty sure the "random dwarf" Redcloak refers to is Minrah.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-18 06:45pm Pretty sure the "random dwarf" Redcloak refers to is Minrah.
Huh. Or that. But she's still repeating information that Durkon shared.

Plus doesn't she also count as a divine messenger under the circumstances?

Either way, the point stands.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

She's not, though; Durkon didn't tell Redcloak the gods had already destroyed worlds many times before.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Well, still, in line with what Durkon told him.

Point is Redcloak isn't taking basic measures to verify what he's being told and isn't being as rational as he's trying to present.

Heck, he's basically achieved the Plan at this point. The idea was to use the Gates and the Snarl as a threat against the other gods to force them to negotiate a better place in life for goblinkind. The gods just sent him a messenger saying they are totally threatened and willing to negotiate.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, Zone of Truth, and then a commune with the Dark One would have been a good idea.

I think Red Cloak is either developing an Ego, or stress is getting to him.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

WELP....
Can't say I didn't see this coming a while back...

At this point, we can argue till the cows come home about why Redcloak is acting the way he is.... Or why Durkon didn't say certain things... But it comes down to what I mentioned a few comics ago which was, due to act of plot... This whole thing pretty much had ZERO chance of being resolved peacefully.

I mean, lets be honest, now that everything is falling apart, we of course see the many ways it COULD have gone better... But really it is sadly a case of "RedCloak is being irrational because plot demands it"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Redcloak is always irrational in this very fashion. It's a consistent character trait; he goes fishing for confirmation of what he already believes and will twist until he can't twist anymore to arrive at the conclusion he wants.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!