The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by Anacronian »

I bet that doctor guy want to clone the Yoda baby for the empire.

This guy with the Kamino makings on his arms.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I don't see the connection.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Kamino cloning facilities, Made the grand army of the republic.

Dr. Pershing has the armband of the Kamino cloning facilities on his upper right arm, Making me think he's probably deep into tube babies.

So it follows that he wants to clone baby Yoda.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Oh you're talking about this.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2019-11-18 06:40pm So if the outlaw base was impossible to reach on foot...how come the Mandalorian made it back to his ship on foot (with a hovering toddler in tow no less) just fine?
For whatever reason there seems to be circuitry in the chest armour (which took quite a beating in the encounter with the Rhino thingy).
Did they say impossible on foot, or impossible via ship? It looks like the trip was much shorter using the Burrg, just like riding a horse shortens a trip vs walking it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Anacronian wrote: 2019-11-19 04:26pm I bet that doctor guy want to clone the Yoda baby for the empire.

Unless the baby is already a clone that was stolen by the pirates running that base. Clone-imprint training might explain how the baby knew how to use the Force.
Although, we have seen in the cartoons and movies that children can use The Force without training. Anakin was able to pod-race because he was instinctively using The Force to pilot his racer.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-11-20 04:41pm
Batman wrote: 2019-11-18 06:40pm So if the outlaw base was impossible to reach on foot...how come the Mandalorian made it back to his ship on foot (with a hovering toddler in tow no less) just fine?
For whatever reason there seems to be circuitry in the chest armour (which took quite a beating in the encounter with the Rhino thingy).
Did they say impossible on foot, or impossible via ship? It looks like the trip was much shorter using the Burrg, just like riding a horse shortens a trip vs walking it.
'The way is impossible to pass without a Blurrg mount'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-11-20 04:45pm Although, we have seen in the cartoons and movies that children can use The Force without training. Anakin was able to pod-race because he was instinctively using The Force to pilot his racer.
I actually wonder if he wasn't a Jedi youngling before the purge. The Empire's such a flash in the pan that 50 year old baby Yoda could have been 20 something when Order 66 happened.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Possible but I doubt it. Jedi Younglings were presented as I dunno, the equivalent of 4+ year old humans in the prequels. Able to walk, speak, and so on. Baby Yoda was a toddler.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Three episodes in and it would seem they're picking up the pace somewhat. I'm not wholly sold on the show but now Helmetguy has the tiny McGuffin with him on his ship so they can run away from the badguy & cronies which should lead to some actual adventuring taking place.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The ending where you just see the little hand reaching for the silver ball, and Mando reaches over, unscrews the ball, and hands it to him.
yeah, Mando's a daddy now.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-11-20 04:41pm
I see three other possibilities:
- The trip was only impossible for an ugnaught, but possible for a human because humans can jump over gaps that an ugnaught can not.
- He was lying.
- It's a matter of carrying enough supplies for the entire trip. The Burrg shortened the trip out there and the Mandalorian probably had time to restock at the base before walking back.
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-11-20 04:45pm Unless the baby is already a clone that was stolen by the pirates running that base. Clone-imprint training might explain how the baby knew how to use the Force.
Or 50 years of the child trying to figure things out on their own. Or maybe there was someone who gave the child some training.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I utterly and completely despise the idea that Baby McGuffin being a clone of Yoda. We already have two craptastic movies, with the third on it's way out that wear the skin of the OT like some cannibal zombie, we don't need this show to chain itself to the OT in any way. OT can come and say hi, it can come and visit the kids, it may not come and start decomposing on the couch.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

As do I.

But I'm stuck calling the kid "Baby Yoda" until someone gives it a name on the show.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I don't really think Baby Yoda is a clone of Yoda, the Mandolorian takes place 41 after Episode 1 and we know the baby is around 50 years old, Of cause we know the clones on Kamino got some accelerated aging but I just don't think the story will go down that path.

I think it's more likely that baby of Yoda species is a "Natural" baby and the doctor guy wanna clone it due to the baby having force powers.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Gunhead wrote: 2019-11-27 12:45pm I utterly and completely despise the idea that Baby McGuffin being a clone of Yoda. We already have two craptastic movies, with the third on it's way out that wear the skin of the OT like some cannibal zombie, we don't need this show to chain itself to the OT in any way. OT can come and say hi, it can come and visit the kids, it may not come and start decomposing on the couch.

-Gunhead
And deny them the marketing power of a StarWars Baby Groot? Madness. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I enjoyed the western theming of these episodes, but the music gets on my nerves.

So, the main Mando is a Foundling. What is that? Is that someone adopted into Mandalorian culture. or something else?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-11-28 01:54am I enjoyed the western theming of these episodes, but the music gets on my nerves.

So, the main Mando is a Foundling. What is that? Is that someone adopted into Mandalorian culture. or something else?
Who said he was a Foundling? I thought he makes donations to the Foundlings.

I think the music's awesome myself. Very appropriate to the tone / feel they're going for.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

He said it himself when he has the Pauldron crafted.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Luke Starkiller wrote: 2019-11-28 07:10am He said it himself when he has the Pauldron crafted.
Huh, yeah I guess I forgot
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Has anyone else seen the controversy about this show yet?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-11-28 06:02pm Has anyone else seen the controversy about this show yet?
Nope and Google doesn't turn up anything about any controversy. Please elaborate.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-11-28 01:54am I enjoyed the western theming of these episodes, but the music gets on my nerves.

Foundling is an old name for an orphan or lost child, from the days when desperate mothers would leave a child on the doorstep of a rich house to be 'found' and hoping they'd take the child in and care for them.

We see his flashback of the Droids attacking the settlement he's in, of his parents hiding him, and presumably dying shortly afterwards. We've seen up to the point where he remembers the droid opening the hole... and I'm betting we'll see who saves him from dying himself sooner or later in another flashback.

As for if it's Mandolorian Culture to take in Foundlings? It's possible. Give a child with nothing a purpose, a dream to live for, and they'll move mountains to become what you want them to be. Hell, look at all the Japanese tales of an orphan becoming the Chosen One out of sheer stubborn grit -- Naruto, Sirius the Jaeger, Demon Slayer. Foundlings have nowhere to go but up, if they have the determination to do it.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-11-28 11:08pm
Galvatron wrote: 2019-11-28 06:02pm Has anyone else seen the controversy about this show yet?
Nope and Google doesn't turn up anything about any controversy. Please elaborate.
Apparently the show is taking heat because it doesn't feature enough women in speaking roles.

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/sta ... 1064314881
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-11-28 11:55pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-11-28 11:08pm
Apparently the show is taking heat because it doesn't feature enough women in speaking roles.
Did she not realize what The Armor Priestess was? :banghead:
Seriously, chica, back off, let them get the story rolling and don't throw a hissy over the FIRST EPISODE. Fuck, the Baby could be female for all you know!

More seriously, we've seen the casting, Mando's going to pick up a female companion. So this 'controversy' can dig a hole and die. :banghead: