Who can be a starfighter pilot, and implications of the Imperial military

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Who can be a starfighter pilot, and implications of the Imperial military

Post by FaxModem1 »

In the real world, being a pilot takes a lot of training, and you have to be an officer before the armed forces will let you pilot anything. To be an officer requires a college education, which can be difficult based upon income, or it requires entry via an academy.

Now let's look at Star Wars. In Star Wars, anyone can pilot a starfighter. Even a bum off the street can wander up to an Imperial recruitment station, says he wants to be a pilot, and bang, he gets on the track to becoming a pilot and an officer. Note, imperial pilots ARE officers, and are not of enlisted ranks.

What does this say about Imperial military culture? What does this mean for starfighter pilots?

Does this mean that, hypothetically, a homeless man could eventually become Captain of his own ship by being lucky and raising through the TIE fighter ranks, as long as he didn't do what Han did and piss off his superiors?

Discuss.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Re: Who can be a starfighter pilot, and implications of the Imperial military

Post by Coop D'etat »

I don't think a TIE fighter is the kind of strategic asset that a modern fighter plane is, so thinking of it like how modern American does it is probably going to be wrong. If TIEs have high attrition rates and aren't that important (or durable) as individual platforms, its plausible that its open to whatever street sweepings volunteer for it. The ones that survive and thrive would end up upwardly mobile, but big numbers of them end up dead or broken.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

it’s not uncommon for militaries to let you sign up for anything you want with the promise they will give you CHANCE. Theme classic example is US special forces. Those communities that have entry level onramps will let you legitimately start the pipeline. The thing is the recruiters know damn well that 90% will fail the first medical and aptitude tests and wash out. They still have them under contract but now they are undesignated and can be funneled where needed. Recruiters are upfront about this

Pilots are the same in officer recruiting. I see no reason why the Imperial Navy wouldn’t have a program allowing anyone to apply for pilot given the wash out rate for real world pilot training. Best case is the actually get a pilot. Worst case they have you signed up and at there disposal
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

In all Star Wars media, both pre and post Disney, Tie Fighters are cheap and mass-produced. Engines, Weapons, sensors, power generator, batteries, and the ability to turn. No/Minimal shielding, no hyperdrive, no navi-computer, and no life support. I remember reading once, that an X-wing cost as much as a Tie Fighter SQUAD.

The entire idea of them is to attack en-mass, and then send the survivors out on their next mission. In between, they do simulator training, training, and more training. After whatever-parameters-they-use, skilled pilots get promoted to better fighters (i.e Tie Interceptors)

So Yes, assuming they survive long enough, get promoted, and get the transfer out of piloting, a low born orphan street scum could work their way up to commanding their own ship, squad, fleet, or even Darth Vader's Admiral.

(That was actually the entire point of the companion fiction to Star Wars: Tie Fighter. Backworld guy goes from mechanic, to high ranking member of the Imperial Armed Forces, AND the Emperor's Secret Order)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-12 01:54pm In the real world, being a pilot takes a lot of training, and you have to be an officer before the armed forces will let you pilot anything. To be an officer requires a college education, which can be difficult based upon income, or it requires entry via an academy.

Now let's look at Star Wars. In Star Wars, anyone can pilot a starfighter. Even a bum off the street can wander up to an Imperial recruitment station, says he wants to be a pilot, and bang, he gets on the track to becoming a pilot and an officer. Note, imperial pilots ARE officers, and are not of enlisted ranks.

What does this say about Imperial military culture? What does this mean for starfighter pilots?

Does this mean that, hypothetically, a homeless man could eventually become Captain of his own ship by being lucky and raising through the TIE fighter ranks, as long as he didn't do what Han did and piss off his superiors?

Discuss.
It depends on how easy it is to "fly" a fighter. In SW, it seems like there is no hindrance for a farmboy who only flew atmospheric planes to transition into space combat. Luke's flying ability might be enhanced by his force abilities, but the fact that squadron commanders are willing to entrust a fighter to him suggest physics, barriers to mastering flying ( maybe there is a really advanced AI system guiding a novice pilot compared to real life planes and spacecraft), and cost of manufacturing fighters?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Maybe their tech makes crashing safer?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

ray245 wrote: 2019-05-12 06:55pm It depends on how easy it is to "fly" a fighter. In SW, it seems like there is no hindrance for a farmboy who only flew atmospheric planes to transition into space combat. Luke's flying ability might be enhanced by his force abilities, but the fact that squadron commanders are willing to entrust a fighter to him suggest physics, barriers to mastering flying ( maybe there is a really advanced AI system guiding a novice pilot compared to real life planes and spacecraft), and cost of manufacturing fighters?
I'm not sure we can take Luke as an example of anything. Red Squadron had a lot of holes in the TO&E from their last mission, and Luke obviously got talked up by Biggs because they didn't just put him in as a pilot, but as an element leader (over Biggs and Wedge). The look on Wedge's face when Luke talks about shooting womp rats is one of "Oh God, what did I let Biggs talk me into?" Combine that with the fact that Luke's T-16 was made by the same people as the X-wings, and a commonality of design language can be expected, easing the transition from one to the other.

Plus, as you note, he's a freaking Jedi.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yes, he's a fledgling Jedi, but nobody knew that at the time thus I don't think thank figured into decision to give him an X-Wing much
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Batman wrote: 2019-05-12 11:09pm Yes, he's a fledgling Jedi, but nobody knew that at the time thus I don't think thank figured into decision to give him an X-Wing much
Novelization and deleted scene had Luke interact with a Clone Wars vet who knew of his father as both a Jedi and a top notch pilot and that they were hoping to get some of that Skywalker skill out of him. So I'm skeptical the Jedi/Skywalker thing was being kept a secret from everyone, sounds like it was common knowledge on base.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Plus, they might plausibly have had more fighters than trained pilots, so Command figured 'why not?' given the literal do-or-die nature of the mission.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Batman wrote: 2019-05-12 11:09pmYes, he's a fledgling Jedi, but nobody knew that at the time thus I don't think thank figured into decision to give him an X-Wing much
You've got one of your pilots (Biggs) vouching that he's the best bush pilot in the outer rim, and presumably major holes in your TO&E (from the losses at the battle of Scarif). That's the main reason why he gets the seat - it's not that anyone can, it's that you need pilots, and here is a guy who can fly, and has been talked up by Biggs, therefore you throw him in the cockpit as a warm body.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Han Solo start out in pilot training only to wash out and become a ground pounder in "Solo"? if true it means that it's possible to wash out from the imperial flight academies and not everyone who joins becomes a pilot and an officer. So it's possible that the Empire takes everyone in but only a fraction actually makes it graduation and rest are dumped into the imperial army or navy as low level enlisted personal.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-05-13 01:26am Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Han Solo start out in pilot training only to wash out and become a ground pounder in "Solo"? if true it means that it's possible to wash out from the imperial flight academies and not everyone who joins becomes a pilot and an officer. So it's possible that the Empire takes everyone in but only a fraction actually makes it graduation and rest are dumped into the imperial army or navy as low level enlisted personal.

Solo kind of obviously washed out for being a smartass and not following orders.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-13 11:50am
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-05-13 01:26am Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Han Solo start out in pilot training only to wash out and become a ground pounder in "Solo"? if true it means that it's possible to wash out from the imperial flight academies and not everyone who joins becomes a pilot and an officer. So it's possible that the Empire takes everyone in but only a fraction actually makes it graduation and rest are dumped into the imperial army or navy as low level enlisted personal.
*snip Vid*

Solo kind of obviously washed out for being a smartass and not following orders.
I only saw movie in the theaters so I didn't see that scene, regardless the "why" is mostly irrelevant, the important part is that it's possible to wash out from the Imperial navy's pilot program. Thus they can we more liberal on who gets to join the program.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-12 01:54pm Does this mean that, hypothetically, a homeless man could eventually become Captain of his own ship by being lucky and raising through the TIE fighter ranks, as long as he didn't do what Han did and piss off his superiors?

Well no, because Starfighter corps and Naval corp are different branches. They theoretically could become the equivalent rank. Which would be soemthing Wing Commander (all going by the Old Eu, Disney may be diffrent) This is assuming there is no internal politicing and patronage in the fleet though which seems unlikely.

Joining the military/going to Imperial Academy is the shown way to get off dustballs like Tatooniene though even if people like Biggs defect after graduation.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-13 12:01pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-12 01:54pm Does this mean that, hypothetically, a homeless man could eventually become Captain of his own ship by being lucky and raising through the TIE fighter ranks, as long as he didn't do what Han did and piss off his superiors?

Well no, because Starfighter corps and Naval corp are different branches. They theoretically could become the equivalent rank. Which would be soemthing Wing Commander (all going by the Old Eu, Disney may be diffrent) This is assuming there is no internal politicing and patronage in the fleet though which seems unlikely.

Joining the military/going to Imperial Academy is the shown way to get off dustballs like Tatooniene though even if people like Biggs defect after graduation.
While it might be theoretically possible for a homeless person to join the starfighter corps and get to high I suspect there's also quality standards that one has to pass to actually graduate from the academy (at least if your daddy/mommy isn't a high ranking member of imperial hierarchy).

I suspect the reason imperial armed forces are repesented(in-universe) as means to a better status for people who are poor or from the outer rim in the empire is inspire loyality/fanatism in the troops.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-05-13 02:07pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-13 12:01pm

While it might be theoretically possible for a homeless person to join the starfighter corps and get to high I suspect there's also quality standards that one has to pass to actually graduate from the academy (at least if your daddy/mommy isn't a high ranking member of imperial hierarchy).

I suspect the reason imperial armed forces are repesented(in-universe) as means to a better status for people who are poor or from the outer rim in the empire is inspire loyality/fanatism in the troops.
Yes, indeed.

Or as in the case of Solo, net in all the hopefuls with promises of a star-marshal's baton in their knapsack and then wash them out as grunt in the army.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

As long as the washouts were legitimate, and they kept the recruits with actual skill for piloting, that still leaves a chance for literal 'bottom of the rung' to rise on talent and merit.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ray245 wrote: 2019-05-12 06:55pm

It depends on how easy it is to "fly" a fighter. In SW, it seems like there is no hindrance for a farmboy who only flew atmospheric planes to transition into space combat. Luke's flying ability might be enhanced by his force abilities, but the fact that squadron commanders are willing to entrust a fighter to him suggest physics, barriers to mastering flying ( maybe there is a really advanced AI system guiding a novice pilot compared to real life planes and spacecraft), and cost of manufacturing fighters?
We see Luke fly three craft all made by Incom.

I would be any amount of money that Incom has a similar glass cockpit across all of their platforms, probably why he was able to cross rate between the airspeeder and X-wing so easily.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."