Apple, Nike and other major companies implicated in Muslim forced labour in China

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

loomer
Sith Marauder

Apple, Nike and other major companies implicated in Muslim forced labour in China

Post by loomer »

By Max Walden

Key points:

The UN says more than 1 million Uyghurs are detained in Xinjiang
ASPI's research claims that thousands of Uyghurs are being forcibly moved across China to work
Beijing has denied abuses against Muslim minorities as "fake news"

Dozens of popular companies including Apple, Nike, Adidas, Uniqlo and Skechers have suppliers linked to forced labour in China involving Muslim minorities, according to a new report from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI).

Drawing upon open-source Chinese language documentation, satellite imagery, media reporting and academic research, the report entitled Uyghurs for Sale identifies some 83 well-known consumer brands linked to factories where Muslim minorities are thought to be working in forced labour conditions across China.

It reports that 80,000 Uyghur workers were transferred out of Xinjiang between 2017 and 2019, claiming that people are being effectively "bought" and "sold" by local governments and commercial brokers.

"Officials and private brokers receive money for every Uyghur person they manage to transfer. The recipient companies receive a cash inducement for every Uyghur they take," Vicky Xu, an ASPI researcher and lead author of the report, told the ABC.

"Everyone involved in this transfer scheme benefits except for Uyghur workers."

More than a million Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other Muslim ethnic minorities are thought to be detained in what the Communist Party calls vocational education centres but which are referred to by the UN as "re-education camps".

Some have observed it is likely the largest-scale incarceration of people based on religion since the Holocaust.

Movement of thousands of people on 'segregated trains'

The ASPI report claims that "Uyghur workers are often transported across China in special segregated trains" and that authorities and factory bosses continue to closely monitor them.

"The goal of these labour transfers are political," said Ms Xu, primarily aimed at "stripping [Uyghurs] of their unique culture and identity".

"At these factories, they continue to undergo organised Mandarin studies and indoctrination programs."

ASPI reported that O-Film, which manufactures selfie cameras for Apple, Huawei, Lenovo and Samsung, has 700 Uyghur workers who were transferred from Xinjiang and forced to "gradually alter their ideology" and "understand the Party's blessing".

Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the company's factory in Guangzhou in December 2017, and according to ASPI, at the time praised its "humane approach towards employees".

A statement supplied to the ABC said: "Apple is dedicated to ensuring that everyone in our supply chain is treated with the dignity and respect they deserve."

"We have not seen this report but we work closely with all our suppliers to ensure our high standards are upheld."

The Washington Post visited a factory which supplies 8 million pairs of Nike shoes annually and described a situation where Uyghur "graduates" of re-education camps had been forcibly moved to Laixi in eastern China.

"The Uyghurs had to come because they didn't have an option. The government sent them here," a local businessperson told the Post.

Nike did not respond to the ABC's request for comment.
Chinese businesses 'think it's a positive thing'

China is only one of a handful of countries that have not ratified the International Labour Organisation's Forced Labour Convention.

According to the watchdog organisation Global Slavery Index, forced labour is prevalent in China's "production of labour-intensive, cheap goods for export".

The ABC requested comment from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the ASPI report but had not received a response by time of publication.

But the ruling Communist Party has denied Muslims are detained en masse, with China's ambassador to Australia last year dismissing Western news reports as "fake news".

Ms Xu emphasised that much of the information included in the ASPI report came from publicly-available Chinese-language media, however.

Photo: A translation of an online advertisement in China claims "trainees" from Xinjiang are ready to be "ordered". (Australian Strategic Policy Institute)

"Chinese factories and Chinese media think it's a positive thing that these Uyghurs are being moved away and are working under semi-military conditions and management," she said.

"They don't know how bad this looks to the rest of the world."

The president of Anhui province-based manufacturer HYP — which claims to supply sports brands Fila, Adidas, Puma and Nike — is quoted by ASPI as telling local media that he chose Xinjiang workers because "although the quality of North Korean workers is good, I'm reluctant to spend money on foreign workers".

Last year, the ABC reported that Japanese clothing brands Muji and Uniqlo were advertising "Xinjiang cotton" products, despite concerns about forced labour. Both are named in the ASPI report.

Some of the other brands named, including Abercrombie & Fitch, have since ended their relationships with suppliers accused of using forced labour.

While the Chinese tightly control access to Xinjiang for journalists, and claim the high-security camps are simply vocational training centres, evidence collated by media outlets, rights groups and researchers has increasingly painted a picture of widespread repression and abuses.

Australia has been a vocal critic of China's mass detention of Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities.

Those living outside the camps are also subject to mass surveillance, with Beijing declaring it wants to "Sinicise Islam" — a hardline policy increasingly referred to by observers as "cultural genocide" against the Turkic minority group.

Dozens of Australian citizens have been caught by the dragnet of China's crackdown against Muslims in Xinjiang, many of whom have family members detained in the province.
More literal slavery out of China, but now with added genocide for 110% of your daily recommended crimes against humanity. Cool and normal!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: Apple, Nike and other major companies implicated in Muslim forced labour in China

Post by AniThyng »

A strong and powerful Chinese state will ensure overseas Chinese
minorities are no longer bullied or oppressed. Surely then this article must be racist lies by China's enemies, who are fearful of its inexorable rise to world superpower. /s
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Apple, Nike and other major companies implicated in Muslim forced labour in China

Post by loomer »

Look, obviously slavery is bad unless it's Slavery with Chinese Characteristics. That's just a fact of political science.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

You kinda expect it but are still disgusted when you read the details. God Damn It.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I bought an Apple laptop not too long ago. Definitely regretting that now.

Jesus Christ, you'd think by this point in history people would have grasped the concept that slavery and genocide=wrong.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-02 02:45am I bought an Apple laptop not too long ago. Definitely regretting that now.

Jesus Christ, you'd think by this point in history people would have grasped the concept that slavery and genocide=wrong.
Middle class consumerism is largely built upon the desire to have things as cheap as possible.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-02 02:45am I bought an Apple laptop not too long ago. Definitely regretting that now.

Given that wide-spread genocidal campaigns and the open mass theft of the world's resources only began to be frowned on sixty years ago, is it really that surprising?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The problem is that slavery is profitable. Fucking profitable. The greedy don't care that it's morally wrong and causes suffering to other people, they're getting rich! And most of them will try to justify it in their own minds, saying that it's somehow or other benefiting the oppressed to be oppressed. While using police and military because all those ungrateful wretches don't see the benefits of being oppressed, abused, and traumatized.

On reading this story, though, I'm a bit gobsmacked that that I've managed to avoid buying anything from any of the named companies. Which doesn't guarantee the companies I do buy from aren't also guilty, I know, but I seem to have dodged a few moral bullets there. Also, I don't really buy much other than food and toiletries these days. Which, again, doesn't guarantee I haven't been an unwitting party to exploitation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There's no escaping child slave labour if you own any piece of modern technology. Anything that's powered by lithium-ion batteries contains cobalt in the battery, most of the cobalt in the world comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo where it's mined with child slave labour. So let's say you don't have a cell phone or laptop, and you only use a desktop computer. Every piece of modern electronics has tantalum capacitors inside, wanna guess where tantalum is mined? That would be our friends in the DRC, Rwanda, and various other countries in Africa & South America, many of which also use child slave labour. Do you hate the fossil fuel industry and support renewables? Well, lemme tell you where all the rare earth metals used in the production of wind turbine generators and solar panels come from. Oh yeah, that would be our friends in the child slave labour countries and China.

Bottom line, we've all got blood on our hands, lots of it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-02 02:45amJesus Christ, you'd think by this point in history people would have grasped the concept that slavery and genocide=wrong.
Silly TRR, when has the PRC learned much of anything these past few decades?
Broomstick wrote: 2020-03-02 07:06amOn reading this story, though, I'm a bit gobsmacked that that I've managed to avoid buying anything from any of the named companies. Which doesn't guarantee the companies I do buy from aren't also guilty, I know, but I seem to have dodged a few moral bullets there. Also, I don't really buy much other than food and toiletries these days. Which, again, doesn't guarantee I haven't been an unwitting party to exploitation.
That just means that you only need to keep up your unwitting boycott of said slavery supporters Broomie. :D Vote with your wallet and all that.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

aerius wrote: 2020-03-02 09:35am

There's no escaping child slave labour if you own any piece of modern technology. Anything that's powered by lithium-ion batteries contains cobalt in the battery, most of the cobalt in the world comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo where it's mined with child slave labour. So let's say you don't have a cell phone or laptop, and you only use a desktop computer. Every piece of modern electronics has tantalum capacitors inside, wanna guess where tantalum is mined? That would be our friends in the DRC, Rwanda, and various other countries in Africa & South America, many of which also use child slave labour. Do you hate the fossil fuel industry and support renewables? Well, lemme tell you where all the rare earth metals used in the production of wind turbine generators and solar panels come from. Oh yeah, that would be our friends in the child slave labour countries and China.

Bottom line, we've all got blood on our hands, lots of it.
There are some options. Fairtrade gold exists. There's good/better tin scheme in drc as well as the bad ones. https://www.fairphone.com/en/impact/fai ... -sourcing/
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee