Gun-advocates threaten civil war to protect their guns.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gun-advocates threaten civil war to protect their guns.

Post by PainRack »

https://thegrizzled.com/cars-banned-in-the-us/

Just a reminder. We banned a car for being too fast even though Mercedes has a same speed, because family vehicle isn't a sports car.

We don't allow certain cars which accelerate too fast.

Part of the solution for reducing America higher than normal vehicular deaths is.... Pass public transit.

https://www.cdc.gov/publichealthgateway ... hicle.html
Providing high-quality public transit in a typical North American city can result in $355 in health benefits per person per year—including fewer crashes, less pollution, and increased physical fitness.
Data from health impact assessments can be used to inform public transportation plans for healthier communities, as was done in Missouri pdf icon[PDF-3.6MB] and Arizona pdf icon[PDF-3.2MB].
Because while we can't force Americans to buy less cars/guns, we trying to reduce the number of cars/guns.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, I suspect if we treated guns the way we do cars, a lot of gun control advocates would be fucking thrilled.

And a lot of "gun rights" folks would be threatening civil war and committing terrorism.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-02-23 03:53am Yeah, I suspect if we treated guns the way we do cars, a lot of gun control advocates would be fucking thrilled.

And a lot of "gun rights" folks would be threatening civil war and committing terrorism.
Theoretically they don't need a driver license to drive on their own property such as driveway or farm, however, everyone who drives in public needs a license. So in theory, that's a bit more intrusive than what some gun control activists want, which is every gun owner to be registered.

Every functional vehicle however needs to be registered/licensed/ if it's to be used so apart from collectibles, all cars are essentially registered. Which is a bit less again than what gun control wants.

The rest though?cars are screened for emission regs and with leaded gasoline, now required catalytic converters for most states. We DO prevent cars from being too fast to be sold for certain categories, again, Mazda family car is illegal but Mercedes isn't. Race cars are also downgraded if they sold for street use although that gets very political as well. So, ditto to automatic weapons and background checks. We actually more restrictive on driver license than gun license in one major sense, drunk drivers and for guns, drunk violent assaults.

I also remind everyone yes, we implemented similar regulations for drowning ,aka, all private pools must be fenced and states have lifeguard regs which vary for baths/pools/beaches. And of course, closure of beaches when it's deemed too dangerous.

We also have said regs for lightning strikes. So.... Stop pretending guns are more unique than everything else.

Again. NRA and Red Flag laws must have utopian due process even more stringent than psych holds or fucking arrests, relate to current Virginian protests and 2nd Ammendant Sanctuary where cops refuse to enforce legal laws.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

PainRack - in omne thread you mentioned analsysis the ONS data -is that something you could share?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-02-25 08:30am PainRack - in omne thread you mentioned analsysis the ONS data -is that something you could share?
It's not official or anything. But on SB, I trawled through ONS and the linked NHS report to show what I quoted here, that
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads ... t-44586307

1. Despite a 2% increase in firearm offences, only 19 people died, more importantly, out of the 2300 offences, only 10% involved the banned handguns. And the majority of the times it was used as a threat .

19 people died to guns that year, out of 163 injured. And this figure includes air rifles....

For knives, out of 26 thousand offences, only 3614 were admitted to hospital. I too lazy to actually trawl the actual data cited so I going to use...shudders... The sun.

Redirect Notice

80 deaths in 2017 for a higher rate of crime .

I sub in the Sun for deaths from Knives
https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.the ... -rise/amp/
Because I was getting VERY VERY tired from trawling through ONS

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... eofweapons

This is where I cited the gun stats from and it was HELL digging through the secondary sources, albeit, at least it was there and easily available unlike Singapore Singstats trust me, I'm the government and this is my data.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB17 ... oi-rep.pdf

Sadly, a lot of the links now are broken and I'm not committed enough to winning internet Olympics to show simple case knives are more survivable than guns, look at UK, despite rise in knife stabbing, less people died when gun crime dropped. (For reasons not relevant to buyback of guns)

We find that a lot of gun activists claims such as suicide in Australia is simplified to ignore that there was benefits, such as drop in rural white men gun suicide with no substitution. But because other communities such as Aborginals increased suicide due to drug/acholism increase, it masks the overall figures. And NSW also bucked the trend.

Lastly. ONS counts gun crime very differently than the US which tends to inflate their counts of gun violence. If similar stats were used, counts from stop and frisk would be added on to US gun crime as well....