China's new leader: Xi Jinping

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zor
Sith Acolyte

China's new leader: Xi Jinping

Post by Zor »

BBC on the Subject

I am surprised that this thread has not yet been made.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Re: China's new leader: Xi Jinping

Post by Spoonist »

I won't comment on the choice since I know as little as everyone else, but that BBC bit was really strange.

"Some tough retoric"
was
"some foreigners with full stomachs and with nothing better to do point fingers at us. But we don't export revolution, hunger or powerty. Nor do we cause trouble for them. What else do you want?"
Then to follow that up with "A new broom or a redder than red communist stalwart"

that's a big WTF.

That is not tough rhetorics, that is easy going ordinary day speach territory.

Compared to most US speaches that is very mild, like Mitten's russia is our enemy speach. But what's worse compared to UK politics that was nursery stuff.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

But we don't export revolution
Indeed you don't. Quite the opposite, you prop up thug regimes in Africa to support your economic interests. Who're the capitalists now, comrade?
Truth fears no trial.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Tanasinn wrote:
But we don't export revolution
Indeed you don't. Quite the opposite, you prop up thug regimes in Africa to support your economic interests. Who're the capitalists now, comrade?
If China exports revolution their 'damned dirty commies', and if they pursue trade its 'supporting thugs', even though the west has been doing all of the above far longer. If anything, this indicates that China needs pursue its interests as thoroughly as possible first and foremost given how the west will try to smear them either way.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Spoonist wrote:I won't comment on the choice since I know as little as everyone else, but that BBC bit was really strange.

"Some tough retoric"
was
"some foreigners with full stomachs and with nothing better to do point fingers at us. But we don't export revolution, hunger or powerty. Nor do we cause trouble for them. What else do you want?"
Then to follow that up with "A new broom or a redder than red communist stalwart"

that's a big WTF.

Compared to most US speaches that is very mild, like Mitten's russia is our enemy speach. But what's worse compared to UK politics that was nursery stuff.
You know all those miraculous recoveries of wounded Palestinians, courtesy of the Beeb?

They've been doing it to China for years. Seriously, they're so pathetic by this point, they make fucking Fox News seem like a paragon of journalistic integrity.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

fgalkin wrote:You know all those miraculous recoveries of wounded Palestinians, courtesy of the Beeb?

They've been doing it to China for years. Seriously, they're so pathetic by this point, they make fucking Fox News seem like a paragon of journalistic integrity
I don't think I get the analogy. Could you elaborate?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ralin wrote:
fgalkin wrote:You know all those miraculous recoveries of wounded Palestinians, courtesy of the Beeb?
I assume he's talking about this. I don't know anything more about it, just that someone posted it elsewhere.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ralin wrote:

They've been doing it to China for years. Seriously, they're so pathetic by this point, they make fucking Fox News seem like a paragon of journalistic integrity
He is accusing BBC of doing shoddy reporting on the latest IvP spat, and saying that they have been doing that for years to China. I can't comment too much about the former, but the latter is true.

When you have
1. James Reynolds accusing China of censoring news of the Olympic protests which were proven to be false and BBC giving a Vicky Pollard type apology...

2. Stephanie Flanders saying China needs democracy to advance economic growth when no serious anthropologist or historian says democracy were the cause of the West economic growth...

3. Damian Grammaticus using links from Chinasmack as evidence of discontent (really, a private China bashing site run by foreigners, seriously)

4. Whats her name accusing Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen of doping - yes how dare those Asians beat the Europeans in swimming.

I am sure if I dig hard enough there will be more. Like how they reported a Chinese ambulance with a red cross emblazoned on it as a military transport during the Tibet crisis in 2008. But I bet you they will soon be falsely accusing politicians of being paedophiles while covering them up in their own ranks. Oh wait...
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Here is an example of BBC's journalistic excellence when talking about China in case anyone wants me to back up my claims.

Journalist extraordinaire James Reynolds accused China of covering up anti Chinese protests during the Olympic torch relay. Only problem is, it wasn't true as that video shows. You see what Reynolds did was, he quickly interviewed people on the streets before Chinese news can report it (due to the time difference and inability to edit the report, Chinese news had to report the next day). How did we find this out. From some journalist from a rival FREEdom Western news outlet. Er no, actually just a Singaporean citizen realised the time difference issue.
In his TV news report, Reynolds was standing at a road junction in Beijing, and a giant screen behind him was showing a simulcast of China Central Television’s 7pm News Bulletin, Xinwen Lianbo. There was a brief mention of the torch relay in London but the protests were not mentioned. However, I realised that the torch relay actually commenced at 10:30am (London Time) on that day, or 6:30pm (Beijing Time). The protests would obviously have taken place some time after the commencement of the torch relay. The daily broadcast of Xinwen Lianbo‘s remained unchanged, starting at 7pm sharp.

Unlike the BBC which did a LIVE telecast of the torch relay, it was virtually impossible for CCTV’s London correspondent to send the footage back to the headquarters in Beijing for editing and broadcasting in less than 30 minutes. Besides, most media outlets in China did report the story the next day. Yet, Reynolds stationed himself at the road junction – eagerly waiting for the Xinwen Lianbo broadcast to commence at 7pm – but chose to turn a blind eye to the important facts, and carried on demonising China with his fabricated report. He had undoubtedly violated the professional ethics of journalists.

I made videos in protest of BBC’s biased coverage and uploaded them onto YouTube and other video sharing sites in China, thus stirring much discussion from netizens. The BBC was under fire for its fabricated coverage. The editor of BBC News, Jon Williams, apologized on April 28, 2008.
Here is the half arse apology from BBC

It boils down to, we are wrong to imply Chinese censorship, but.... at the time of broadcast the Chinese news stations didn't report it, so there.
Well of course they didn't report it yet dumbass, its called a time difference.

And one wonders why I am cynical about some Western media outlets. At least Xinhua doesn't pretend its anything but the mouth piece of the CPC. BBC claims neutrality (snigger). Hey they can always rely on Western propaganda which believes only the other side engages in it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Spoonist wrote:I won't comment on the choice since I know as little as everyone else, but that BBC bit was really strange.

"Some tough retoric"
was

that's a big WTF.

Its even more mild when you hear it in Mandarin. Hell, if that's 'tough' rhetoric, never report on Taiwan:D

Seriously..... The language was essentially those pesky kids, don't walk on the grass...... and the tone was that of "in my day, we have to walk uphill through the snow".

Its literally a guy complaining about busybodies condeming china.

Now, GRANTED, that 'busybodyness' brushes aside criticism about how China handled the Jasmine Spring, dissident politics, corruption and anti corruption and etc, so, I can imagine how offensive it seems to a liberal journalist but......
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

mr friendly guy wrote:Here is an example of BBC's journalistic excellence when talking about China in case anyone wants me to back up my claims.

Journalist extraordinaire James Reynolds accused China of covering up anti Chinese protests during the Olympic torch relay. Only problem is, it wasn't true as that video shows. You see what Reynolds did was, he quickly interviewed people on the streets before Chinese news can report it (due to the time difference and inability to edit the report, Chinese news had to report the next day). How did we find this out. From some journalist from a rival FREEdom Western news outlet. Er no, actually just a Singaporean citizen realised the time difference issue.
To be fair ,our bias causes us to.... easily view various matters through a lens that allows us to make erroneous statements easily.

For example, Ma Qinghua is a Chinese national but a Singaporean PR. Not a Singaporean citizen:D

How did I dig that up? Because my bias immediately clued me in on the sheer improbability of a Singaporean citizen being concerned about bad Chinese press AND contradicting an official news report by the BBC.

One can easily imagine "ok, I know that there's bad stuff going on right now, the press hasn't reported it, hence, COVERUP!". It was sheer unprofessionalism,, instead of malice.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

PainRack wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Here is an example of BBC's journalistic excellence when talking about China in case anyone wants me to back up my claims.

To be fair ,our bias causes us to.... easily view various matters through a lens that allows us to make erroneous statements easily.

For example, Ma Qinghua is a Chinese national but a Singaporean PR. Not a Singaporean citizen:D

How did I dig that up? Because my bias immediately clued me in on the sheer improbability of a Singaporean citizen being concerned about bad Chinese press AND contradicting an official news report by the BBC.

One can easily imagine "ok, I know that there's bad stuff going on right now, the press hasn't reported it, hence, COVERUP!". It was sheer unprofessionalism,, instead of malice.
The Chinese press without life coverage could not make changes to its report in half an hour = cover up? Come on, he is about as honest as Australia's A Current Affair when they gave us the recent scare campaign of Asian shops taking over Australian malls. Even if we assume he is just incompetent and that winning the Royal Television Society's Young Journalist of the Year award is a fluke, his other stories on China starts raising eye brows. But at the end of the day, whether by malice or incompetence or both, they are creating a distorted view despite claiming to have high journalistic standards.

One could overlook that if it happens once. However when I read some of his other stuff, it becomes harder to spin it as mistake.

Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Fabricated news isn't news. <<Three meanings in one sentence, see if you can figure out the third.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Spoonist wrote:Fabricated news isn't news. <<Three meanings in one sentence, see if you can figure out the third.
1. The fact that journalists lie (ie fabricate news) isn't newsworthy - that is it happens so many times that we are desensitise. For example a news report saying the sun has come up isn't news because its common. In this case the second "news" is referring to how newsworthy something is.

2. Fabricated news doesn't count as a proper news report, because journalists are supposed to report, not make shit up. In this case the second news is defined as "the communication of selected information on current events which is presented by print, broadcast, Internet, or word of mouth to a third-party or mass audience."

3. Lies are news (using fabricated news) isn't news - in this case the second news is not so much meaning the media, but simply referring to information.

Admittedly meaning 2 and 3 are similar but you tell me.

Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

What's the current speculation right now on whether the new crop of leaders are more inclined for reform or not? Corruption and environmental degradation I think is the largest issues of concern for the long term prosperity of China, and right now is the time to make strides to correct it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Blayne wrote:What's the current speculation right now on whether the new crop of leaders are more inclined for reform or not? Corruption and environmental degradation I think is the largest issues of concern for the long term prosperity of China, and right now is the time to make strides to correct it.
The new crop of leaders are thought to be Jiang Zemin's men (or mostly that). Xi Jingping is considered reasonably "pro Western" at least in the sense he is less likely to seek confrontation. Certainly the man stayed in America in the 80s as a guest, and symbolically revisited there on a tour of the US to catch up with the American families who hosted him as a guest.

If one looks at it broadly, the Jiang Zemin's Shanghai clique have promoted more economic growth and less social development, while Wen and Hu's Beijing clique tended to favour slower economic growth (which for China is still a high number) and more social development. Under their administration they advanced welfare, had a health care system that now covers 96% of the population. Wen Jiabao also personally intervened to stop various hydropower dams being build. Its not clear the reason why, Singapore news speculated its because the residents didn't like it (ie he took a populist approach), although some people have pointed out to me Wen is a geologist by training, and it could be because the sites chosen were not conducive to dam building. Wen also openly talked about democracy (this doesn't mean that much because Deng Xiaoping also predicted China would eventually become a democracy.. eventually is the word).

So going by past standards, the Shanghai clique are more likely to favour economic growth, and may reduce reform in welfare. They are also aren't likely to give way to political reform, as it is most probably their faction making it difficult for Hu and Wen to implement their reforms, forcing them to rule by consensus. That being said, it appears that for now, the Shanghai clique is in ascendency, so they will most probably not have too much difficulty implementing their policies. That may change as CPC rules require members to retire due to age constraints, and most of the new members of the standing committee who are from that clique are old.