President Palpatine and the Grand Army of the Federation (RAR!)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: President Palpatine and the Grand Army of the Federation (RAR!)

Post by NecronLord »

Zor wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Also, and perhaps more obviously, there's the chance the Federation Council will order the immediate demobilization of the clones and for other units to be trained to use their equipment.
The Clonetroopers have already been deployed against the Klingons on the frontlines. Demobilizing them could be a strategic disaster. Also who would be best to train people in the use of their weapons and tactics but Clone Troopers (which will take time)?

Zor
The Federation dealt with the Klingons in OTL. Demobilizing this bonus force won't stop them dealing with them. I am sure Starfleet Command, which did after all, win every war it engaged in during DS9, can figure out how to cycle troops off the front lines without losing momentum.

And they only need to have some of them do rear echelon work in analyzing their gear and showing how to train with it, which is something you can get them to do between counselling sessions.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Lord Revan wrote:Full Betazoids can read mines and do so fairly frequently though I don't know if "I read it from their mind" counts legal evidence in Federation courts (though I'd assume not). it's only part Betazoids that are limited to emphatic abilities only (Troy is half-human).
As it would most likely be done without Palpatine's consent, it would be ruled inadmissable in court.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Full Betazoids can read mines and do so fairly frequently though I don't know if "I read it from their mind" counts legal evidence in Federation courts (though I'd assume not). it's only part Betazoids that are limited to emphatic abilities only (Troy is half-human).
As it would most likely be done without Palpatine's consent, it would be ruled inadmissable in court.
well it depends on how Betazoid mind reading abilities are treated, if they're treated it so that anything the read from minds is akin to someone "thinking out loud" and the betazoid over hearing it then in theory the consent wouldn't matter, however mind reading is effectively hearsay that can be hard to prove by a neutral party thus making it inadmissable.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

If memory serves, telepathy is not a conscious act with full Betazoids, as most have/are taught to shield themselves against inadvertantly reading/sending thoughts, with Tam Elbrun(TNG: "Tin Man")being a notable exception.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:If memory serves, telepathy is not a conscious act with full Betazoids, as most have/are taught to shield themselves against inadvertantly reading/sending thoughts, with Tam Elbrun(TNG: "Tin Man")being a notable exception.
that would put betazoid telepathy to the "overheard conversation" category when it comes to consent, likely not enough to cause an arrest in and of itself but would probably be a reason for Starfleet intelligence to investigate Palpatine more closely (and Section 31 doesn't need a reason to investigate anyone).

That's assuming ofc that you're correct.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also assuming Palpatine can't shield himself- I still think it's possible that he can.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov