Mike Dicenso on Photon Torpedoes

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Mike Dicenso on Photon Torpedoes

Post by FedRebel »

http://stardestroyer.net/mrwong/wiki/in ... .27s_edits[/quote]
However, the TNG Technical Manual is also inconsistent with itself regarding torpedo yields. At least two other entries on page 141 gives wildly differing torpedo estimates based on the primary and secondary destruct mechanisms. Approximately 2.39 gigatons and 5 kilotons respectively. It is uncertain whether these yields would come before or after the 74% efficiency is applied.
It's been a long time and my copy's buried deep in boxes, but I'm only familiar with the 64.3 megaton estimate from the 1.5kg antimatter/1.5kg matter stated warhead configuration on page 129.

Anyway, 'Enterprise' Canonically indicated that torpedoes have an insanely wide dialing range.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The TNG Tech Manual doesn't give any yields for photon torpedoes, it just states the 1.5kg antimatter payload. I can only surmise this is in reference to the DS9 TM which if memory serves 'does' have the 74% efficiency number. Not that we ever saw GT range photorp explosions anywhere in the franchise and we don't need ENT to establish highly variable torpedo yields-an empty torpedo casing dropped from orbit would have done massively more damage than the one the E-A fired on 'God' in TFF.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Batman wrote:The TNG Tech Manual doesn't give any yields for photon torpedoes
Actually, it does, albeit a bit indirectly:
TNG TM pg 141 wrote: *the primary auto-destruct system produces* an energy release on the order of 10^15 megajoules, roughly equivalent to 1,000 photon torpedoes
Ergo a PT yield of 239 Mt.
TNG TM pg 141 wrote:The release yield of the secondary sytem is calculated to be 10^9 megajoules, roughly equivalent to 500 photon torpedoes.
A PT yield of 478 tons of TNT.

So the numbers are all over the shop. What a surprise.