Leland Chee and the Incredible Cross-Sections

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Leland Chee and the Incredible Cross-Sections

Post by Lord Revan »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Why does it matter if Chee gets some things wrong? Last I checked he's a fallible human being and can make mistakes. Making mistakes doesn't suddenly bring the massive canon/holocron/chee edifice come crumbling down
it doesn't, that's my point.

that's also why I made the challenge for Naval Dissaster (I really need to think of a better nickname for him) to prove why Chee making mistakes invalidates everything Chee has stated about SW canon.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
Batman wrote:Show me where Chee is wrong about current canon.
Isn't Chee the person who defines what is and isn't canon ?

Which means he can't be wrong about canon, because canon is defined by what he says it is.
that's why I called him being wrong about canon an "exordinary claim"

technically it's possible for Mr Chee to make a statement that conterdicts current official policy but that would most likely be a) a mistake (he's human after all and humans make mistakes) or b) a joke taken out of context. However for him to be so wrong about current canon of SW (which IIRC is his only responsibility with Lucasfilm), that we should just ignore everything he says about SW canon, as Admiral Lardass is suggesting (calling him by screenname would an insult to both the element and to the (former) leadsinger of Queen) would need really incredibly strong evidence to support it, what Admiral brainless has offered so far amounts to essentially to "because I say so" which as we're well aware amounts to jackshit as far as evidence is conserned.
What kind of evidence would we need to conclude that Mr Chee is wrong about canon ?

I can only think of two things:
- Mr Chee makes two statements that contradict each other. Clearly one of them is wrong, but figuring out which one is wrong will be difficult.
- Someone with more authority to define canon says something that contradicts Mr Chee. If such a person exists.

Either way, we would only have Mr Chee being wrong about that small part of canon. For the rest of the canon we would still go by his word.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

indeed you'd some really amazing evidence to prove that Chee was so wrong about SW canon that we could summarly dismiss his statements (as it's essentially impossible), but seeing as Admiral shit-for-brains hasn't put forth any evidence besides "because I say so", it's safe to say he has none and that's why he hasn't posted again on this thread. Tbh I'm not really shocked, it's nothing new really.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Admiral Mercury wrote:The rampant "Chee-ism" you people display is disgusting. If he claimed Yoda was a Sith Lord you'd accept it as fact despite it being contradicted by the movies... Just like a lot of things Leland Chee has said over the years...
Chee is the keeper of the canon (or at least he was, I dunno if he still is now with Disney and all that), if he wanted to retcon yoda or even the sith out of the series completely it's perfectly within his authority to do so.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No it is fucking not. Geezuz, don't be fucking idiots.

If you honestly think that then Mercury is right about some serious cult shit going on here.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Why does it matter if Chee gets some things wrong? Last I checked he's a fallible human being and can make mistakes. Making mistakes doesn't suddenly bring the massive canon/holocron/chee edifice come crumbling down, nor does someone paying attnetion to what a franchises purported canon policies make them a mindless brand zombie.

This reminds me completley of that FUCKING LUCAS mentality you get sometimes, just because some fan gets mad George Lucas did something with STar Wars or whatever that they didn't like. (OHMYGOD HE RUINT IT! EVIL1!!)
Clearly he's just referring to the real Starwars. You know, the one exists outside of the representation upheld by the franchise and its owners. :P
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

bilateralrope wrote:
Batman wrote:Show me where Chee is wrong about current canon.
Isn't Chee the person who defines what is and isn't canon ?
No, Chee mostly just resolves contradictions, but to my knowledge he's not exactly canon god.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Havok wrote:No it is fucking not. Geezuz, don't be fucking idiots.

If you honestly think that then Mercury is right about some serious cult shit going on here.
Does he not? I thought he controlled the canon. Who does have that authority then? Lucas maybe?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

jwl wrote:
Havok wrote:No it is fucking not. Geezuz, don't be fucking idiots.

Does he not? I thought he controlled the canon. Who does have that authority then? Lucas maybe?
Chee's boss is the final arbiter, it used to be Lucas himself but atm I can't remember who that person is, seeing as Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney.

Chee's job is/was to essentially tell the Lucasfilm company policy about these things to the fans.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I see. So if chee were to, for example, maintain that the sith have been retconned out, he might not have the authority to change that himself, but his statement indicates that the people who do have the power to do that may have done so. Is that correct?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I wish people would read. The only thing that has changed since Disney bought Lucasfilm and all its subsidiaries and Lucas stepped down, is that now Disney owns Lucasfilm and all its subsidiaries and Lucas stepped down.

The woman that took over Lucas's role in the company reports to ONE PERSON at Disney and that is the CEO. Creatively, Disney has taken no effort to make any changes. Why would they?

Fuck, when you guys talk about Spider-Man comics you don't go "Well we'll see what Disney does." When you talk about ESPN you don't go "Well, we'll see what Disney does." Just fucking stop it all ready.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

jwl wrote:I see. So if chee were to, for example, maintain that the sith have been retconned out, he might not have the authority to change that himself, but his statement indicates that the people who do have the power to do that may have done so. Is that correct?
technically yes, but as Havok pointed out Disney or the new CEO of Lucasfilm (whose name escapes me atm) have not given any indication they'd like to make such a radical change.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Odds are the only thing that changes for canon is that they start calling "G(eorge)-Canon" M(ovie)-Canon instead. Or they make a new "system" that's still more than likely going to retain the Movies -> TV Shows -> Everything Else order.

Or do nothing at all because I doubt Disney gives two shits about what's Star Wars Canon and what isn't. As for Lucasfilm, they'll probably care enough not to contradict Episodes I - VI (too much) and the new movies made, and maybe the TV shows but that's about the extent of it, I'd imagine.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I'm just talking hypothetically here to check what the power of chee and other people actually are, I don't expect them to do anything like that.