Would a Lamba-class shuttle fit into the E-E

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Would a Lamba-class shuttle fit into the E-E

Post by Lord Revan »

While I was thinking about stuff unrelated to the vs debate, start to wonder if the Lamda-class shuttle used by the Galactic Empire would fit thru the main shuttle bay doors of the Enterprice-E or would it be too tall (it shouldn't be too wide) even in the folded landing configuration.

Obviously the Empire has shuttles that could land inside a UFP starship (like the TIE Shuttle (a TIE Bomber with the ordanance pod replaced with a camped passenger pod)) but the Lamda seems to be the default mode of Transport for important imperial personel.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Re: Would a Lamba-class shuttle fit into the E-E

Post by Darth Tanner »

It should be way too tall, its over 22m tall from Saxtons website and the Ent-E shuttlebay on the back of the saucer is only just tall enough to let their own shuttles out. The shuttle bay at the back of the engineering section has never been shown open as far as I know but I don't see why they would make their hanger that much taller than it needs to.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Darth Tanner wrote:It should be way too tall, its over 22m tall from Saxtons website and the Ent-E shuttlebay on the back of the saucer is only just tall enough to let their own shuttles out. The shuttle bay at the back of the engineering section has never been shown open as far as I know but I don't see why they would make their hanger that much taller than it needs to.
are you sure about the height of the main shuttlebay it seems taller to me even when compared to the much larger Argo shuttle in nemesis
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Ent E shuttlebay linky with a type 11 leaving it, barely leaving any room. Although much bigger than earlier shuttles the type 11 cant be more than 4-6 meters tall max as its a single deck shuttle, although the nacelles do drop below it.

If this random schematic drawing limky is anything to go by the rear shuttle bay has a max height around 8-12m while the neck one is 5-8m. Both are a long way off what you'd need to get the Lambdas top in.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Darth Tanner wrote:Ent E shuttlebay linky with a type 11 leaving it, barely leaving any room. Although much bigger than earlier shuttles the type 11 cant be more than 4-6 meters tall max as its a single deck shuttle, although the nacelles do drop below it.

If this random schematic drawing limky is anything to go by the rear shuttle bay has a max height around 8-12m while the neck one is 5-8m. Both are a long way off what you'd need to get the Lambdas top in.
thanks, I suspected it would be too low, but wanted to be sure. guess you'd need to use a different shuttle to land on the Ent-E with an imperial shuttle (there's such ofc like the TIE Shuttle I mentioned).
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I'm sure the Lambda has some sort of docking chute that it can extend that would allow it to attach to the outside of the Enterprise. Obviously there might be some problem with universal fittings not working in another universe but they could be magnetic or something to that effect.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

People can be transported off it as well. That would likely be more convenient than trying to jury-rig a docking port that can connect the two.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Stofsk wrote:People can be transported off it as well. That would likely be more convenient than trying to jury-rig a docking port that can connect the two.
tbh unless it's a boarding action (in which case they probably wouldn't use the Lamda in the first place) I would suspect the imperials would be more likely to use the smaller shuttles then trust their lives on (from their point of view) untested technology that has the potential to kill you if it malfuntions, not to mention at IIRC there's no technological reason why you should reintergate a pattern once it's in the buffer rather then just letting it scatter and imperials would vary of this in they knew about it.

there's at least the already mentioned TIE shuttle and also the X-Wing series has several craft about the same size as the UFP planets shuttles (give or take a bit), the Lamda just seems to be the most common in interfleet or ship to planet (and planet to ship) transportation when you don't need heavy firepower
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I'm not sure that the Lambda shuttle would even be used for interfleet ferrying anyway. Captain Needa didn't travel to Executor on one. Hell the Lambda didn't even appear until Jedi (not counting the Empire SE, because it sux), and its purpose seems to be something you'd need hyperdrive transport for. Sort of like the equivalent of a Star Trek runabout (shuttles are capable of warp travel but very low warp velocities, warp 2 for a day or two is I think relatively common; Runabouts are designed to be faster and travel longer independently).

Of course the Lambda's ridiculous design is another matter altogether. Those wings are stupid. Looks good, but goddamn.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Stofsk wrote:I'm not sure that the Lambda shuttle would even be used for interfleet ferrying anyway. Captain Needa didn't travel to Executor on one. Hell the Lambda didn't even appear until Jedi (not counting the Empire SE, because it sux), and its purpose seems to be something you'd need hyperdrive transport for. Sort of like the equivalent of a Star Trek runabout (shuttles are capable of warp travel but very low warp velocities, warp 2 for a day or two is I think relatively common; Runabouts are designed to be faster and travel longer independently).

Of course the Lambda's ridiculous design is another matter altogether. Those wings are stupid. Looks good, but goddamn.
it appers as interfleet transport in the X-Wing game series (and else where in EU too IIRC), though generally for VIPs or cargo too big to be ferried by the smaller craft (the G-cannon TIE Shuttle is only the size of the TIE Bomber so it's carring capacy is very limited).

though this might be due to Lamda being both shielded and armed, so that it might be able to survive a potential rebel ambush and the rebels probably use what ever they can get their hands on rather worrying about if there's other craft for that role.

Based on the X-Wing series lamda seems to the "jack-of-all-traits" of the imperial fleet.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The Lamda shuttle was a luxury / VIP ship per the games and depictions on screen. People building vehicles that look good but function poorly ?
Imagine that.

If your looking for assualt transports: Delta-Class Shuttle

Alternatively: Sentinel Class Landing Craft

The former would fit height wise... length wise is unknown
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Svelte-c ... al_shuttle

My visual estimate is 10meters wide and barely 4meters tall. Yeah it should fit in quite nicely.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton