Comic book fans, lend me your ears!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Aya wrote:Mar-Vell was another.
At least until the Earth X miniseries came along.

But Gwen Stacy stayed dead.

Except that Fucking clone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Yeah, when two genders start going to war, rely only on cloning and uber tech to replenish their numbers and gene condition themselves it get's wierd. So what's the story with the "Thangarians" haven't heard from Hawkworld in ages even if it always seemed something of a flash gordon rip off to me.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Aw ZShade...who doesn't love Star Sapphire :P ?

Just because she's a man-hating/sex starved evil witch with a bad GL motif.

And yeah JT ain't coming back...and haven't healed Babs' legs either(which is astounding they keep that angle)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Yeah, when two genders start going to war, rely only on cloning and uber tech to replenish their numbers and gene condition themselves it get's wierd. So what's the story with the "Thangarians" haven't heard from Hawkworld in ages even if it always seemed something of a flash gordon rip off to me.
They did the efficent thing.

Killed off 50%+ and then resurrected the original Hawkman...and maybe one day they'll go back to Thanagar.

Maybe...For the Longest time they pretty much ignored it...DC editors actually sent back a different form letter because how bad they fucked up.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Isn't Babs a lesbian now?

Thunderchild = Warpath's big brother.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ghost Rider wrote:Aw ZShade...who doesn't love Star Sapphire :P ?

Just because she's a man-hating/sex starved evil witch with a bad GL motif.

And yeah JT ain't coming back...and haven't healed Babs' legs either(which is astounding they keep that angle)
The wonders of the Silver Age, where at least one of the hero's villians had to be an evil counterpart. Superman - Bizarro, Flash - Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom, GL - Sinestro, Aquaman - Black Mantis, Batman -..., Batman - ....

Er, almost all of them, anyway.

And I can't believe I forgot about Jason Todd being blown up. That was one of the better Bat stories.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Aya wrote:Isn't Babs a lesbian now?
Nah...BoP goes iffy...Nightwing says nay

And Canary digs Ollie.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

ZShade wrote: And I can't believe I forgot about Jason Todd being blown up. That was one of the better Bat stories.
The best bat stories came around in the 1970s, and I didn't know Todd was
blown up until last night's history channel special on comic book heroes,
where they told all about the call in for readers to kill/save Jason - he lost
by 73 votes and got killed :P
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

MKSheppard wrote:Ah I thought that he had resurrected the blue fucks from the dead....oops...
And didn't Ganthet merge with Hal in the crappy end of the Hal Jordan/Kyle Raynor bitchfight?
Ganthet got out of Hal's head shortly before Parallax died. He then proceeded to do... well, nothing. He was living up to the standards of the other Guardians, I suppose.

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

MKSheppard wrote:
ZShade wrote: And I can't believe I forgot about Jason Todd being blown up. That was one of the better Bat stories.
The best bat stories came around in the 1970s, and I didn't know Todd was
blown up until last night's history channel special on comic book heroes,
where they told all about the call in for readers to kill/save Jason - he lost
by 73 votes and got killed :P
72 votes. :P

Anyone else watch that special? It was pretty good. I never knew that Gaiman and Miller looked like.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Aya wrote:Jason Todd.
Bruce Wayne's parents.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

You know, I wanted John Henry Irons to become the new Superman, but no,
they had to revive the big S himself :roll:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Hell that was going to done the first time they annouced his supposed death.

Literally Carlin admitted they keep the titles with the NAMES...was a big give away.

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

MKSheppard wrote:You know, I wanted John Henry Irons to become the new Superman, but no,
they had to revive the big S himself :roll:
You wanted a DC version of Iron Man? If Superboy lost the jacket and shades, he would've been a worthy successor.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Aya wrote:You wanted a DC version of Iron Man? If Superboy lost the jacket and shades, he would've been a worthy successor.
Well, did you ever see the issue where Superboy is a twat and dodges fire that
causes a Daily Planet chopper to get hit, killing the pilot?

JHI saves Louis Lane and proceeds to chew the living fuck out of Superclone.

--Leia--
Youngling

Post by --Leia-- »

I just recently got back into collecting comics. I used to collect Witchblade, The Darkness, and Ascension.

Now I collect Star Wars tpb. I find those are easier to store.
Reading: Shatterpoint
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Kelly Antilles wrote: But, I have to say that the artwork on the X-series comics has gone so far downhill. It's like they just slap something together to get the book out.
All of Marvel's arkwork has been going downhill, its gottten too abstract. I picked up a new Punisher the other day and it looked like shit, I'll stay with my old issues of Punisher: War Journal thankyouverymuch!

I started collecting this new series from a small company though, its called Stormwatch, its about an international anti-superhuman task force, its really good.
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

justifier wrote: All of Marvel's arkwork has been going downhill, its gottten too abstract. I picked up a new Punisher the other day and it looked like shit, I'll stay with my old issues of Punisher: War Journal thankyouverymuch
The graphics quality of the Punisher seems to have taken a hit down with
this new artist they're trying out. BRING DILLION BACK!

justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

MKSheppard wrote:
justifier wrote: All of Marvel's arkwork has been going downhill, its gottten too abstract. I picked up a new Punisher the other day and it looked like shit, I'll stay with my old issues of Punisher: War Journal thankyouverymuch
The graphics quality of the Punisher seems to have taken a hit down with
this new artist they're trying out. BRING DILLION BACK!
Go crawling on your hands and knees and bring Jim Lee back!
--Leia--
Youngling

Post by --Leia-- »

Jim Lee is one of the best comic artists I've ever seen. Marc Silvestri is my favorite though.
Reading: Shatterpoint
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

MKSheppard wrote:
Aya wrote:You wanted a DC version of Iron Man? If Superboy lost the jacket and shades, he would've been a worthy successor.
Well, did you ever see the issue where Superboy is a twat and dodges fire that
causes a Daily Planet chopper to get hit, killing the pilot?

JHI saves Louis Lane and proceeds to chew the living fuck out of Superclone.
It's Lois.:P

Superboy actually isn't a clone of Supes though. The scientist at STAR claimed that they couldn't clone Krypton DNA, so their director cloned himself, but altered the DNA to make him look like a young Supes. They also somehow gave him a "Superman aura".

One problem though: If they couldn't clone Superman, then where the hell did the Cyborg's flesh side come from?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Aya wrote: Superboy actually isn't a clone of Supes though. The scientist at STAR claimed that they couldn't clone Krypton DNA, so their director cloned himself, but altered the DNA to make him look like a young Supes. They also somehow gave him a "Superman aura".

One problem though: If they couldn't clone Superman, then where the hell did the Cyborg's flesh side come from?
The Cyborg was a human scientist (hank someone?) who joined with Superman's Birth Matrix (The spaceship he arrived on Earth in). Thus, only the metal bits are/were Kryptonian, iirc.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

No, his fleshie bits were cloned from Supe's DNA. I forget how though. Those two had history together, and Hank Whathisname hated Supes, though again, I forget. Time to go Googling.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Actually Hank Henshaw/Cyborg...found the Kryptonian birthing Matrix Zshade...thus acquired the DNA for Supes.

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Ah, there we go. Hank Henshaw was a disembodied human mind who could travel between and control electronics. At one point, he got inside the ship that brought Supes to Earth, and asborbed Kryptonian tech, including the ability to clone Clark's DNA. So, when he posed as the Cyborg Superman, he was half Clark, and half Kryptonian android.