Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresden Files) NOW WITH SPOILER ALERT!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-19 05:46am No, it was just Dresden, Molly, and Kincaid on the phone. There's a very brief mention of it. Dresden called Kincaid, then had Molly erase the memory of doing so from his mind.
I meant in the room on Kincaid's end.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Lonestar »

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-20 12:24am

I meant in the room on Kincaid's end.

Everyone knows you did, I don't know why on earth she acted like you indicated otherwise.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Because... I didn't realize he meant Kincaid's side?

Who knows who or if anyone was on Kincaid's side? It just wasn't addressed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-20 07:52am Because... I didn't realize he meant Kincaid's side?

Who knows who or if anyone was on Kincaid's side? It just wasn't addressed.
Well, he's around her on a regular basis. Probably much of the day, considering he's on retainer as a bodyguard. We know he was on the job that day from when Harry called Ivy asking for help in Changes before the house fire. Ducking into another room out of sight and earshot anytime he gets a call would be a pretty bad habit for a bodyguard. So it's speculation, but it seems likely
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

While Ivy by her very nature can not be a sheltered and naive little girl (arguably, she's the least naive and sheltered human on the planet), I don't think Kincaid is inclined to discuss killing other people in her earshot. For one thing, it's not part of the job of guarding Ivy, it's a different job, a different client if you will. They're not joined at the hip - in fact, there was the vacation he took with Karrin where I don't recall Ivy being present at all. I'm assuming he's not her only bodyguard. So.... maybe Ivy was aware of the conversation, maybe she wasn't, there is no way to know because we only here about this from Dresden's viewpoint.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-20 09:31am While Ivy by her very nature can not be a sheltered and naive little girl (arguably, she's the least naive and sheltered human on the planet), I don't think Kincaid is inclined to discuss killing other people in her earshot. For one thing, it's not part of the job of guarding Ivy, it's a different job, a different client if you will. They're not joined at the hip - in fact, there was the vacation he took with Karrin where I don't recall Ivy being present at all. I'm assuming he's not her only bodyguard. So.... maybe Ivy was aware of the conversation, maybe she wasn't, there is no way to know because we only here about this from Dresden's viewpoint.
There's also the fact that Ivy doesn't really need a bodyguard. The impression I got was that Kincaid was more her driver/errand boy/maybe surrogate father, than someone she really needed to protect her from attackers, at least most of the time (the Denarian trap had to be specially prepared for her, with all the manpower their order could muster, plus a power-up for the magic from Satan himself, and she still gave them a real fight).

There's probably not much short of a fairy queen or an archangel in the Dresdenverse who can do a better job defending itself than Ivy can.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-20 11:38am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-20 09:31am While Ivy by her very nature can not be a sheltered and naive little girl (arguably, she's the least naive and sheltered human on the planet), I don't think Kincaid is inclined to discuss killing other people in her earshot. For one thing, it's not part of the job of guarding Ivy, it's a different job, a different client if you will. They're not joined at the hip - in fact, there was the vacation he took with Karrin where I don't recall Ivy being present at all. I'm assuming he's not her only bodyguard. So.... maybe Ivy was aware of the conversation, maybe she wasn't, there is no way to know because we only here about this from Dresden's viewpoint.
There's also the fact that Ivy doesn't really need a bodyguard. The impression I got was that Kincaid was more her driver/errand boy/maybe surrogate father, than someone she really needed to protect her from attackers, at least most of the time (the Denarian trap had to be specially prepared for her, with all the manpower their order could muster, plus a power-up for the magic from Satan himself, and she still gave them a real fight).

There's probably not much short of a fairy queen or an archangel in the Dresdenverse who can do a better job defending itself than Ivy can.
I thought we knew that Ivy hired Kincaid because as well as being a useful bodyguard there's just a lot of threats someone like he can stop that a two year old, even a super magic one physically can't stop and her neutrality makes her want to not have to ice random people.

And then there's the simple things, she can't drive a car she's to short to see for much of the books.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Also... rent an apartment, deal with well-meaning authorities that might otherwise want to place an orphan girl with a foster family, and so forth. Kincaid might be described as a heavily-armed butler rather than a bodyguard.

Also keep in mind that Ivy's grandmother, a prior Archive, died in a car accident. Ivy might be enormously knowledgeable and powerful, but physically she is still mortal. Having someone to keep her safe probably is very important.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-20 05:05pm Also... rent an apartment, deal with well-meaning authorities that might otherwise want to place an orphan girl with a foster family, and so forth. Kincaid might be described as a heavily-armed butler rather than a bodyguard.
Pretty much, yeah.
Also keep in mind that Ivy's grandmother, a prior Archive, died in a car accident. Ivy might be enormously knowledgeable and powerful, but physically she is still mortal. Having someone to keep her safe probably is very important.
Oh, there are certainly situations where having Kincaid could be useful for self-defense, but I'd expect them to be exceptional circumstances, namely those where Ivy was taken off-guard by something and incapacitated before she could bring her magical abilities to bear.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Kincaid told Dresden that if he wanted to kill him or any other wizard he would do it from a mile away via sniper rifle. Powerful as she is, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work against Ivy too. Knowledge isn't the same as skill, and being perceptive and constantly on alert for potential threats and ambushes is a skill that Kincaid has.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-21 02:16am Kincaid told Dresden that if he wanted to kill him or any other wizard he would do it from a mile away via sniper rifle. Powerful as she is, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work against Ivy too. Knowledge isn't the same as skill, and being perceptive and constantly on alert for potential threats and ambushes is a skill that Kincaid has.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only scenario where Kincaid would be useful to her defense- a surprise attack from something she can't foresee.

Incidentally, I have a little fan theory about Kincaid- no idea if it'll ever be confirmed, but I think it makes sense. Basically, Kincaid is Macbeth. Yes, that Macbeth. Reasons: Kincaid is a Scottish name. Kincaid is clearly somewhat supernatural, and probably a lot older than he looks. Also, for the real clincher, what is Kincaid's title? The Hellhound. And what does MacDuff address Macbeth as during their final confrontation? Yup.

Plus, Butcher has IIRC acknowledged the influence of "Gargoyles" (specifically Xanatos on the character of Marcone), and that series also features a bad ass, semi-villainous Macbeth in the modern day.

Then again, I'm probably biased because Macbeth is my favorite play. :wink:

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

WOW, it's been years since I absorbed this series. I'm going to need to go back and re read most of this to get up to speed on side issues before this comes out.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Knife wrote: 2019-09-01 11:12am WOW, it's been years since I absorbed this series. I'm going to need to go back and re read most of this to get up to speed on side issues before this comes out.
At least it hasn't been as long as ASOIAF fans have been waiting for a new book. :)

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-01 01:19pm
Knife wrote: 2019-09-01 11:12am WOW, it's been years since I absorbed this series. I'm going to need to go back and re read most of this to get up to speed on side issues before this comes out.
At least it hasn't been as long as ASOIAF fans have been waiting for a new book. :)
Well no.

Jim has published 14 Dresden Files novels (and two short story collections), the entire Codex Alera, and the first Cinder Spires book in the same span of time as the last two ASOIAF books.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Either that, or TVTropes to review... but if you go that route make sure you have someone who come get you if you fall in and can't get out. :lol:

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-09-01 05:31pm
Either that, or TVTropes to review... but if you go that route make sure you have someone who come get you if you fall in and can't get out. :lol:
Haha.

First time around, I could chew through a book every couple days. They are good but not a hard read.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-01 01:19pm
I've given up on that series. I read Game of Thrones in the 90's when it came out. Dance of Dragons was 2011. The old fat fuck is going to die before he finishes and in a lot of respects the show was better and I have little faith Martin would end it any better than the show.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-21 02:32am
Ralin wrote: 2019-08-21 02:16am Kincaid told Dresden that if he wanted to kill him or any other wizard he would do it from a mile away via sniper rifle. Powerful as she is, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work against Ivy too. Knowledge isn't the same as skill, and being perceptive and constantly on alert for potential threats and ambushes is a skill that Kincaid has.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only scenario where Kincaid would be useful to her defense- a surprise attack from something she can't foresee.
Just as an addendum, that scenario isn't one limited to well-planned out hits by skilled and professional killers. Ivy isn't invulnerable to some jackass runs at her with a knife and stabs her, no why or complete stranger grabs her at random and throws her over a third floor railing or any number of other random violent things that can happen at any given time, especially in public. Ivy's way better at protecting herself from that than most, but as her grandmother's car accident shows she only has to get unlucky once. She's not the kind of badass that doesn't need to worry about having a good pair of eyes on constant lookout.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Publishing date announced: Peace Talks will be published on July 14th 2020, to coincide with the 20th. anniversary of the Dresden Files.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I admit, I'm a bit annoyed that we're going to have to wait another several months for what probably includes a hefty amount of publisher scheduling crap (along with the necessary process of editing and re-editing the manuscript, yes I know). Still, I'm glad to finally have a definite date and I can't fault Butcher wanting to release it on a significant date given the opportunity.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 05:04am
Iroscato wrote: 2019-08-18 12:40pm I literally ploughed through all 15 (audio)books nonstop starting last year for the first time and I can't imagine waiting years on end for the next one to be published - but I guess after I devour this one I'll be in the same boat as the rest of you sorry gits!
Butcher used to be really good about regularly publishing sequels at about one a year. This is the longest wait between books thus far. Hopefully this is the exception, not the norm. But if it is, at least there are the short stories which come out fairly frequently.
From what I understand, there was a rather nasty divorce, then meeting a new lady and getting married, and a move across the country (iirc?)
Anyway, lots of things happened in a short period of time and it really left him unable to write.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2019-12-16 11:23pm I admit, I'm a bit annoyed that we're going to have to wait another several months for what probably includes a hefty amount of publisher scheduling crap (along with the necessary process of editing and re-editing the manuscript, yes I know). Still, I'm glad to finally have a definite date and I can't fault Butcher wanting to release it on a significant date given the opportunity.
I don't mind waiting, because yes, there needs to be all the post-editing, the artist painting the cover, the film/trailer to make. So, if it's gonna take 2-4 months, why not wait that extra month or to for the 20th Anniversary?

(shit, it's been 20yrs? It don't seem that long! :shock: )

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-12-17 04:03pm From what I understand, there was a rather nasty divorce, then meeting a new lady and getting married, and a move across the country (iirc?)
Anyway, lots of things happened in a short period of time and it really left him unable to write.
And his new house got fucked up by shitty contractors and he had to live with his fiancee's parents for awhile with no dedicated writing space. He's basically been living his own personal country music song for the past five years. I think his dog may have even died.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2019-12-17 06:30pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-12-17 04:03pm From what I understand, there was a rather nasty divorce, then meeting a new lady and getting married, and a move across the country (iirc?)
And his new house got fucked up by shitty contractors and he had to live with his fiancee's parents for awhile with no dedicated writing space. He's basically been living his own personal country music song for the past five years. I think his dog may have even died.
I'd forgotten that bit.
So yes, it took a while, but it's an understandable thing when your life goes to hell. I was one of the ones who messaged to say "Don't worry, get yourself in a good place, we'll wait."
And I have, and I'm happy for it.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

All understandable and he had every right to take what time he needed dealing with stuff.

Still frustrating though, and it does seem like at some point he could have just rented an office if he needed a dedicated work space.

Either way, glad the wait will finally end.