Game Of Thrones: Final Season --SPOILERS!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: Game Of Thrones: Final Season --SPOILERS!

Post by Themightytom »

FireNexus wrote: 2019-04-28 10:30pm Whelp, Arya bagged her white walker. Does this mean she can retire from killing?
At the very least she levelled her Sneak up twice. Jorah went out as the classic badass, but I feel like Lyanna Mornont actually gets MVP here, because arguably she shook the hound out of his funk, he saved Arya, and then what did Arya say to the God of Death? It sounded like
"Aaargh stabby stabby."
I'm kind of unsure if Jon's Dragon bought it? That seems extremely relevant if Danaerys views him as a rival. Ghost may or may not have made it, he was with the Dothraki when.. uh... Their light went out. Luckily all their women and children were safe in the crypt right?

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Can I just observe that that was the stupidest siege planning I've ever seen?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Is Rhaegal out? Dead Viserion I thought was torn to pieces by the other two dragons but was up and running at the end on the ground. So I don't know if Rhaegal is out too.

It was exhausting. Almost a straight hour of fighting. Only third tier characters died. Well, perhaps Jorrah was second tier. Mellsandra's return was a bit hamfisted. I think they actually drew it out a bit too long. By the time the Night King was at the enclosure with Bran, I was losing patience and still needed another 2-3 minutes for the end to come.

I was a bit surprised Arya ended up the one. Good job on subverting expectations with John I guess. I did figure that Dany would save John, but I figured she'd fry everything and John would 'prove' his Targaryan blood.

What the hell is left to march South? They made it look like most the peeps at Winterfell were down. What's left to go south?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Esquire wrote: 2019-04-29 12:04am Can I just observe that that was the stupidest siege planning I've ever seen?
Yeah, figured they'd have barrels of oil or some shit up on the ramparts.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Esquire wrote: 2019-04-29 12:04am Can I just observe that that was the stupidest siege planning I've ever seen?
You can. I even commented to my wife that that's why if you're gonna make a fire pit, you make a fire pit.
Knife wrote: 2019-04-29 12:06am Is Rhaegal out? Dead Viserion I thought was torn to pieces by the other two dragons but was up and running at the end on the ground. So I don't know if Rhaegal is out too.

It was exhausting. Almost a straight hour of fighting. Only third tier characters died. Well, perhaps Jorrah was second tier. Mellsandra's return was a bit hamfisted. I think they actually drew it out a bit too long. By the time the Night King was at the enclosure with Bran, I was losing patience and still needed another 2-3 minutes for the end to come.

I was a bit surprised Arya ended up the one. Good job on subverting expectations with John I guess. I did figure that Dany would save John, but I figured she'd fry everything and John would 'prove' his Targaryan blood.

What the hell is left to march South? They made it look like most the peeps at Winterfell were down. What's left to go south?
I honestly have no idea if Rhaegal died or not. It was super unclear on what was going on there. Which sort of matches the clarity of most of the scenes in the episode, really.

Oh my god, yes on the exhausting fight length. It dragged on too long. I did call Arya being the one to come out of nowhere and take out the Night King about a minute or so before it happened though. I thought back to her dashing out of the Keep or wherever she was with the Hound and Melisandre, knew there was no fucking way John would make it, and Arya had that Valyrian steel dagger. I enjoyed the call-back to her sparring match with Brienne.

I will agree that most of the character deaths with third tier and a few second(ish) tier characters.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I think their cavalry strategy was drawn up by Custer.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-04-28 10:46pm And Dany loses another dragon. :(
She didn't. Watch the Episode 4 preview, Rhaegal is fine.

(still haven't seen the episode personally)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ghost is still alive too. 8)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-04-29 01:39am Ghost is still alive too. 8)
Thank fuck for that :luv:
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Jon: "1v1 me scrub."
Nightking: "Sure, just you... and me... and my GUUARDS!"
Jon: "WTF Bro?"
Firelady: "Shut up Jon, I already hung a rifle SO blatantly you could almost see me WINKING at the audience."
<Arya does her best stealth kill impression, brought to you by AssCreed>
NightKing: "Where the FUCK did you even jump from?"

My stupid jokes aside, they had a chance here to turn this ship away from "generic Fantasy cliches" island. But instead we go with "Gotta wrap this plot up, episodes running long. Ok so, White Walkers are vampires, right? Kill the head asshole, the drones die? Just do that, it's currently making Marvel BILLIONS."

Visually, great episode besides being tiring with the whole massive slo-mo bullshit and constant cock-blocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Patton Syndrome has been around longer than I have and it still runs strong! :lol:
Knife wrote: 2019-04-29 12:06amWhat the hell is left to march South? They made it look like most the peeps at Winterfell were down. What's left to go south?
Not a whole lot. On the plus side, Sansa no longer has to worry about feeding the North's forces, since most of them are now dead. Hell, there are enough dead Dothraki horses (unless the Knights of the Vale -who fought on foot for some reason- still have their mounts, no more cavalry for the North) to feed dragons for years. The dragons should come in handy for incinerating all those corpses, though.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Well, that was immeasurably disappointing.

After six seasons of buildup, the white walkers/night's king were just a bit of a shaggy dog story all along? They come through the wall, are defeated after one battle with no one important dying and we don't even really find out all that much about them or their motivations?

It turns out out-of-her-depth, lashing out at the World Cersei WASNT incredibly short-sighted to ignore the threat of the White Walkers but was actually making a move of strategic genius? The squabble over the throne WAS the real battle all along and not a bunch of myopic idiots rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic?

I am struggling to build any enthusiasm to watch whatever contrived BS the writers come up with to fill another three hours.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

And you know what - I don't even blame the writers.

This is such a dick move that it has GRRM all over it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-22 05:13pm Honestly, I think the Night King is going to go the route the Shadows did in Babylon 5, and the rest of the show will be dealing with Cersei. The fact that Cersei planned for that speaks to her awareness of the narrativium hitting Westeros and how she'll be the final boss.

Though, if the Night King just does actually bypass Winterfell and go straight to King's Landing, that would be hilarious.
Called it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Honest question, what the hell did Bran do this episode? Aside from initially seeming to bait the Night King with the birds, after that it seemed like Bran was doing the fantasy equivalent of reading Wikipedia while everyone around him is dying. Just what did his purpose as the Three Eye Raven serve?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That was a fucking amazing 80 minutes of television. I have some minor criticisms, but ultimately - really satisfying.

I have thoughts about all the complaints that Arya killing the Night King was somehow a problem. It's not.

The episode set it up so that no one could get close.

It makes use of her skills and training.

No, she did not 'teleport' for god's sake (this criticism is so daft). It was ages between when we last saw her and she leapt out of the shadows. Things happen while you're not watching. It's allowed.

Minor criticism

The darkness/ claustrophobia of combat worked well in most situations, but a time for a welcome break would've been the dragon battle. However, because it was shot in the same way notwithstanding the moonlit clouds above the storm (which was a great twist that nullified the dragon airpower), it made it difficult to tell just was going on and which dragon was hurting which.
streetad wrote: 2019-04-29 03:45am Well, that was immeasurably disappointing.

After six seasons of buildup, the white walkers/night's king were just a bit of a shaggy dog story all along? They come through the wall, are defeated after one battle with no one important dying and we don't even really find out all that much about them or their motivations?

It turns out out-of-her-depth, lashing out at the World Cersei WASNT incredibly short-sighted to ignore the threat of the White Walkers but was actually making a move of strategic genius? The squabble over the throne WAS the real battle all along and not a bunch of myopic idiots rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic?

I am struggling to build any enthusiasm to watch whatever contrived BS the writers come up with to fill another three hours.
We're told their motivations, what's the issue? Also, how does the battle getting resolved in the last season but not say the last episode carry any sort of implications for what the 'real battle' was all along? You're allowed to battle the end of the world, win, and then deal with the aftermath. It's not illegal.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Amusingly I had the opposite scree drafted in my head as I was watching. I have never been more underwhelmed watching this show. Their siege defence strategy was so utterly inept I have to assume Jon just came up with it and overruled anyone who suggested improvements. Since we're only a few episodes into this season it should normally be a 'Bad Guys Closing In' downbeat moment but instead we get an upbeat, which is honestly the best 'subversion of my expectations' I've seen in years.

We almost saw a dragon die to a couple of zombies sneaking up on it. Jesus.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

All I can add is that watching the dead litetally rain down around Jon as he tried to get to Brann was the stuff of fucking nightmares.

The atmosphere of that battle was incredible
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-29 05:47am Honest question, what the hell did Bran do this episode? Aside from initially seeming to bait the Night King with the birds, after that it seemed like Bran was doing the fantasy equivalent of reading Wikipedia while everyone around him is dying. Just what did his purpose as the Three Eye Raven serve?
The same purpose the worm on the fish hook serves.
GuppyShark wrote: 2019-04-29 08:44am Amusingly I had the opposite scree drafted in my head as I was watching. I have never been more underwhelmed watching this show. Their siege defence strategy was so utterly inept I have to assume Jon just came up with it and overruled anyone who suggested improvements. Since we're only a few episodes into this season it should normally be a 'Bad Guys Closing In' downbeat moment but instead we get an upbeat, which is honestly the best 'subversion of my expectations' I've seen in years.

We almost saw a dragon die to a couple of zombies sneaking up on it. Jesus.
Quite frankly, since everyone on this show uses such retarded tactics (aside from Robb in the first season and Tyrion in the second) and strategy, I just consider the ineptitude a peculiarity of that world, along with seasons lasting years at a time. A little perspective helps: It's not like sieges/battles in other fantasy fiction are done any better -like Helm's Deep having a big fucking hole in the wall, and no siege engines for the defenders.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Vympel wrote: 2019-04-29 06:28am
We're told their motivations, what's the issue? Also, how does the battle getting resolved in the last season but not say the last episode carry any sort of implications for what the 'real battle' was all along? You're allowed to battle the end of the world, win, and then deal with the aftermath. It's not illegal.
Really? Massive out-of-context existential threat dealt with in one episode and we have to go back to caring about nobles squabbling over the Iron Throne for another 4 plus hours?

It's just the biggest rug pull yet from an arch-troll and I won't be convinced otherwise until the final book comes out some time in the 2030s.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Vympel wrote: 2019-04-29 06:28amThe darkness/ claustrophobia of combat worked well in most situations, but a time for a welcome break would've been the dragon battle. However, because it was shot in the same way notwithstanding the moonlit clouds above the storm (which was a great twist that nullified the dragon airpower), it made it difficult to tell just was going on and which dragon was hurting which.
I thought this was actually also well done -- it kept that part of the battle interesting and engaging, and it made the moonlit clouds above the store stand out brilliantly by contrast.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-29 05:47am Honest question, what the hell did Bran do this episode? Aside from initially seeming to bait the Night King with the birds, after that it seemed like Bran was doing the fantasy equivalent of reading Wikipedia while everyone around him is dying. Just what did his purpose as the Three Eye Raven serve?
I was asking myself: "What has Bran done at ALL?" Aside from getting Hodor killed. I mean, he may have been involved in ousting LittleFinger, but it's only implied IIRC. And he let Jon know about his true lineage, which Sam may have somehow figured out on his own. The guy who "knows everything" instantly is shown to not know everything. Everything they needed to know to kill the Night King was already there. In fact, even as bait, there's seemingly no reason for the NK (as head Vampire and Zombie Kill Switch) to endanger himself by being there to kill Bran. IF he has to be the one to physically kill Bran, there's no reason to not wait until everyone else is dead except Bran. Had he been a few more minutes late to the party, he's won. That's pretty much the whole basis for tension in this show now.

If I had to hazard a guess, the true power of The Three Eyed Raven is breaking the 4th Wall by knowing he needed enough warm bodies between him and the NK to give Arya time to ready herself to do her best AssCreed impression because he got access to the writer's room. See, the whole "last split second save" deal would have been something to really get my heart-rate up (my wife's was pounding) if I hadn't seen it in 100 other movie well before this. They also went WAY to heavy with it, because we've got X episodes to go and literally EVERY. SINGLE. A-list character is seconds away from death. So, the ass-pull is coming.

I talked with the wife how awesome it would have been for everyone to die here and there's some build-up or whatever, and the series end with Cersei looking out and King's Landing as Zombie Dragon's burn her
streetad wrote: 2019-04-29 10:45amReally? Massive out-of-context existential threat dealt with in one episode and we have to go back to caring about nobles squabbling over the Iron Throne for another 4 plus hours?
Thing is, this shouldn't even be a fight. They lost all the Unsullied and Dothraki and are relying on purely Westerosi forces except for two dragons. Which, used in a siege setup by land and sea means, Euron's ship should be burned (since Dragons seemingly have unlimited range and stamina), and they just blockade King's Landing and force the Merc Army to either meet them in the field to be burned or starve.

Instead we'll get some moronic contrivances leading to "gripping scenes," such as, Bron being able to somehow get close enough to exchange knowing looks while he decides to kill/not to kill the Lannister Boys, Cersei giving knowing looks to..... whatever empty space she is currently staring at, and a bunch of other hilarity to stretch this out, Clegane-bowl, etc, etc.

Now, this DOES setup an interesting situation because Danny is down to a pittance of her ground forces. She has two dragons, but dragons can't exactly hold territory. Now, SHE'S the one who needs Jon/The North. I'm still wondering if they will push the whole incest King/Queen angle since no one knows about it except a select few. It honestly makes the most sense considering the setting and would make Jon turn around on his whole "I never had sex with a woman because my mother" deal from the early part of the show. However, audiences would freak out so it's unlikely. But from a personal POV: the acceptance of a love story via rape means they have little right to complain.

Also, the whole "things never change" angle, which would make me laugh because we'd be right back to an incestuous bloodline with Dragons holding things together. Then just have the credits end way North of the wall with the Night-King reforming out of whatever magic originally brought him to "life."
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Will have to see how this pans out in the books, because the material that "inspired" this was done way better. Spoilers, their Winterfell gets owned in record time, that it's a shock to the whole world. Between this and Endgame, really disappointing major set pieces, and without a PG-13 limit expected GoT to be a lot better stakes wise. All too neat. Very limited character moments, just random hacking at literally nameless fodder, zero tension. Needed more Little Bear moments, not huddle in dark corner getting scratched for one hour.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Let me start by getting the one complaint I have about the episode out of the way: As Jon was being cornered by the blue fire dragon I really hoped he will do a combat roll to get himself under the dragon's belly and then thrust upward with the sword and slay the wicked beast!
Other than this disappointment everything else was perfect in it's mind numbing stupidity.

In no particular order:
  • the way the foreboding age of the Long Night when "it was so cold tears froze on your cheeks, mothers killed their children to spare them from suffering and white walkers came out hunting with their spiders as big as hounds" was turned into a shitty World War Z ripoff
  • the creatively bankrupt attempts to tie up loose ends like the Red Woman coming back just to act as a giant match
  • the cheesy, pointless slow-mo last-last-last stands
  • the drink spittingly hilarious scene of Drogon getting swarmed by what are supposed to be half decomposed corpses one thousandth of its size so that we have an excuse to remove it from the fight without killing it
And of course the culmination of the evening: a thousand year old threat that people of Westeros cowered against behind an artificial mountain ended with a "sick-ass" ninja move. Without any hyperbole I can say that Starlord's dance off against Ronan the Accuser (a far more nuanced and interesting villain than then Night King if you can believe it) was a more dignified and clever way to defeat the main bad guy.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

I can't believe I forgot: the undead using their own bodies to make a bridge over the firepits.
Isn't it established that the undead violently burst into flames on contact with fire? Wouldn't their bodies only create an ever larger bonfire as opposed to snuffing out the flames?
And if we just ignore that inconsistency and go with it then judging by how few bodies were needed to snuff out the fire and how many undead there were why just not march on and sacrifice a few rows and simultaneously reach the wall?
Boy oh boy was this episode fucking retarded. :D
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman