Tablet in day to day

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Tablet in day to day

Post by Ace Pace »

So I've been gifted an iPad Mini 2 and I honestly have no idea what to use it for. I've never had a tablet and not really sure what's the best usage of it.

I currently already have a workstation (for work and gaming), a laptop (work and studying), a kindle and obviously a modern phone.

So asking people here, what do you use your tablets for?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Tablet in day to day

Post by Iroscato »

I have a fantastically cheap (£55 from Amazon) tablet that I mainly use to watch movies/TV on a larger screen when in bed, without the weight and clumsiness of a laptop. I also browse the web and Facebook with it. By most standards it's a piece of crap, but it more than sufficiently does the job and ranks as one of my better purchases.

It's also handy for Skype calls when I'm gaming with my squad :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I used my Ipad mini and my current Android tablet for videos, web surfing when I don't want to walk downstairs to my computer, playing games, checking emails, and all sorts of basic stuff. I don't rely on it too heavily for being super productive (I have my laptop and my desktop for that) but it is much more convenient to lug around.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Faabio
Padawan Learner

Post by Faabio »

I have a Samsung tabS 10.5 tablet. In school I use it to take notes, record lectures and take pictures of materials the teacher writes on the blackboard or are not available in electronic format. Also I keep up with emails, check progress reports and other stuff from the schools student portal. Then I have my Pen and paper rpg stuff in google drive so thats also super convenient. I play some games like Star wars galactic heroes and watch a ton of Youtube in the evenings and surf the net. Before I owned a tablet I was a bit iffy if I really needed one but now its almost indispensable.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I have a mini, for no real reason. However, it fills two niches:

1) Doing web stuff when I'm in bed and/or don't want to sit at my computer desk.

2) A handful of video games that don't exist on other platforms, or are really optimized for a tablet experience.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I use a cheapo 7" android tablet to read ebooks. Play emulators. Essentially something just big enough that I clip to my jeans to fill away the empty time in the elevator, waiting in line, etc. On rare occasions where I can get wifi and don't have my laptop, I have used it for Skype.

The only noteworthy comment I can give otherwise is that I usually DETEST touch interface (I'm too young to be old-fashioned but that's how I am) due to the imprecision and pain of typing. I wouldn't use it to browse Youtube videos unless I specifically known what I wanted.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I bought a tablet for my wife, with attached keyboard case. It worked okay for a while. The general idea had been that she would be able to use it for school or whatever, but turns out we mostly watched Netflix on it. Got knocked off a counter and busted the screen, though.

I wouldn't use a touchscreen keyboard for the life of me. I need a separate keyboard, even if it's a tablet-case keyboard that's pretty puny in its own right.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

The iPad Air 2 is my most used device, as it's easier and quicker to pick up the tablet than turn on the PC and the larger screen is much better for texting and browsing than the smartphone. If you have a smartphone and laptop, a tablet isn't going to add any functionality to your life, but it will make it a little more convenient.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Tablets are useful for working on the train and generally when travelling; aircraft as well if you don't have business class seats, as there's so little room for a full size laptop now. This is why I have a Surface 3 Pro, so that it can run Visual Studio, Eclipse and other productivity tools (that you can't get on Android). They're also good for accessing instructions while doing DIY, car repair, cooking etc; saves having to print anything out. Marginally more convenient for looking at GameFAQs while playing console games on the projection screen.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've got my PC that I use to web surf\gaming\watching videos etc..

I have a Jide ReMix 11.6" tablet that I really enjoy. I do some minor gaming on it but I mainly use it to read and write. I only use it to surf the web if I'm somewhere with free wi-fi, but at home I stick to my PC for web surfing.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Tablets are very handy for a number of things. There are some pretty good games, Fallout Vault in particular gets a lot of play from me. There are also some pretty sweet 40K games and ports of some older games such as GTA 3 and KOTOR. I also used my iPad to replace my knackered Kindle keyboard, plus iBooks has the franchise on the Black Library.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I used my tablet for reading comic book files, something which the black and white kindle won't do. However since I got a laptop / tablet hybrid it hasn't seen much use.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.