An acquaintance of mine died today, any tips on coping?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

An acquaintance of mine died today, any tips on coping?

Post by SolarpunkFan »

He was part of an RPG group I was with. Didn't know him very well but it's hurting me all the same. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cope?
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: An acquaintance of mine died today, any tips on coping?

Post by Broomstick »

Accept that it is painful. It's also OK if you feel a bit numb. Basically, however you feel is how you feel and it is fine.

If there will be some sort of memorial going to it might help. Such memorials frequently combine discussion of memories, some laughter at funny stories, and perhaps some crying.

It will take awhile to get past this. That's OK. To some extent, keeping to routine will help with this, and so will keeping busy.

If you need to talk to someone then find someone. You can also come here.

If you're finding something specific difficult please let us know.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Thank you Broomstick. :)
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

this is bit of personal anecdote byut I got this really nice leather winter coat that used to belong to my late uncle but I got it when he died, sometimes I think he would come up and ask about the coat even though intelectually I know that only that would possible as that a)I was dead or b) something as seriously wrong and dead were walking again, but I cope with those feelings by reminding myself that they perfectly acceptble and natural way to feel. Just because you've accepted that someone is dead doesn't mean you have to like that or not miss them.

Another way that helped me to cope is to focus on the good memories I have rather then the fact that said person is gone, so I think a small memorial like Broomstick suggested might be a very good thing.

FYI:my uncle died in January so you can probably understand why I'm not that willing to talk about it in detail yet.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

My dead relatives and friends sometimes appear to me in dreams and we talk. In a more superstitious age I might have called them ghosts, but really, it's my subconscious missing them. Again, perfectly normal. I know it's not real, and sometimes it makes me sad when I remember they're gone, but most of the time it's bittersweet, it keeps their memory alive.

I used to set aside some time to remember the individual on the anniversary of their death, but now I've moved to doing that on Halloween and the Day of the Dead, which seems quite appropriate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

IIRC that was the orginal meaning of Day of the Dead, to remember those who have passed away.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

SolarpunkFan wrote:He was part of an RPG group I was with. Didn't know him very well but it's hurting me all the same. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cope?
Take it one day at a time. Talk about him to your friends if you feel you need to, go back over old memories if you feel you need to, and don't be ashamed to cry or mope around for awhile if you feel you need to. Let your grieving process happen as it needs to happen.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Thank you everyone. I feel better today, but I'm going to miss him nonetheless.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Missing him is a healthy thing. It would be weird not to.

I lost my last uncle eleven years ago (to alcoholism; the other five died before my birth due to what they tell me was "cancer" but what I suspect, due to the wopness of my family and the ages involved, was "lead poisoning"), and the first person who I've had sex with that died last July. I have no advice at all for coping with either of those things, except to just not dwell on it excessively, focus on your priorities, and always keep moving forward. Even if they can't live anymore, you can, and should. Good luck.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

SolarpunkFan wrote:Thank you everyone. I feel better today, but I'm going to miss him nonetheless.
There will come a time, when you see something random and you might think to yourself "gotta remember to tell X about this, they'll love it", and then you remember X passed away. You will feel horrible; but you're not alone in having had that experience. You're not a horrible person who 'forgot' someone. Grief is strange and mysterious and it's okay to talk to people who you trust about it.

Chin up mate, I lost my last Grandparent last year a week before I was due to fly out to see him in Greece. I had a lot of guilt about not flying out earlier for a long time.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:My dead relatives and friends sometimes appear to me in dreams and we talk. In a more superstitious age I might have called them ghosts, but really, it's my subconscious missing them. Again, perfectly normal. I know it's not real, and sometimes it makes me sad when I remember they're gone, but most of the time it's bittersweet, it keeps their memory alive.

I used to set aside some time to remember the individual on the anniversary of their death, but now I've moved to doing that on Halloween and the Day of the Dead, which seems quite appropriate.
For the longest time after my dad died, I could swear I could hear the table saw and the radio both blaring in his shop. Even weirder in that he couldn't work in his shop for a couple months before the end.

Solarpunk, buddy, I don't know what else to say that the others here haven't, except sorry. And, he probably would've wanted your RPG group to keep on gaming.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Crown wrote:There will come a time, when you see something random and you might think to yourself "gotta remember to tell X about this, they'll love it", and then you remember X passed away. You will feel horrible; but you're not alone in having had that experience. You're not a horrible person who 'forgot' someone. Grief is strange and mysterious and it's okay to talk to people who you trust about it.
I was going to make more or less this same point. The day I reached it was when I fully wrapped my arms around my mother's death. Took a few months, and I still miss her, but absence is no longer some nebulous concept, as it was before that point.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.