I'm having trouble with Chrome extensions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

I'm having trouble with Chrome extensions

Post by bilateralrope »

With Youtube now supporting 60FPS videos, but Firefox only being able to play them at 30FPS, I decided to give Chrome another try.
The only problem I've run into is extensions. I'm having trouble finding extensions equivalent to Firefox extensions that I don't want to go without. For some I'm failing on the search, for others I install an extension that says it will do what I want. But the extension does nothing and I can't figure out why.

So I'm looking for recommendations on extensions with the functionality I want or someone to tell me how to get the extensions working.

Here are the extensions I use in Firefox, why I use them, and what went wrong with my attempts:

Flashblock
I hate any autoplaying video or audio in websites, including on Youtube. This extension simply stops flash from loading at all until I click the placeholder it replaces it with. Thus stopping autoplay and blocking a lot of annoying advertising, which is why I don't use Adblock.
I tried FlashBlock and Stop YouTube HTML5 Autoplay. Both do nothing on youtube, FlashBlock does nothing to stop flash loading.

Linky
This lets me highlight a bunch of links, right click, then open them all in new tabs. I can't get search to return an extension with similar functionality,

Long URL Please Mod
This replaces shortened URLs (eg tinyURL) with the link they lead to so I can hover over the link and see the destination, not the tinyURL link. LongURL works here.

Tab Mix Plus
This gives a lot of options for tab behaviour. Again I'm failing at searching for an equlivant, but the default tab behaviour in Chrome is how I like it.

Youtube High Definition
This lets me have Youtube videos start playing at my prefered resolution automatically. Instead of me having to change the resolution for every single video I watch. I tried HD for YouTube™, which did nothing.

Youtube Unblocker
This lets me watch Youtube videos that are blocked in my country. I have any URLs for blocked videos on hand, so I can't test it. Thus I haven't looked for the Chrome version yet.

I'm also using Enhanced Steam, which has a working version on Chrome.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong ?
Maybe there is a setting in Chrome I need to change, maybe the extensions I found don't work and someone could point me to working alternatives.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: I'm having trouble with Chrome extensions

Post by bilateralrope »

I found extensions that solve some of my problems:
- FlashControl stops Flash from loading when I don't want it.
- ImprovedTube - YouTube Extension stops Youtube autoplaying and lets me set the resolution it starts playing at.

I also found a piece of Chrome's tab behavior that I want to change. Closing the last tab closes Chrome.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Linkclump is the Linky replacement you're looking for.

For all the Youtube stuff except region-lock bypass, YouTube Center is the best addon I've found. If you're running the dev or canary version of Chrome, you can install the Chrome extension (.crx file) version, otherwise you'll have to install the Tampermonkey extension first, then use it to install the userscript version of Youtube Center. I suggest using the Developer Version of either, it's updated more often and bugs have been rare in my experience.

As for the last tab thing, the aptly-named Last Tab seems to be the best option.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Linkclump looks like it will work.

I found that ImprovedTube - YouTube Extension didn't work if the Youtube video had an ad at the start. So I'm now trying Magic Actions for YouTube, which seems to not have ads causing trouble so far. Though I haven't seen ads, so it might be blocking them. I'll give Youtube Center a try if this one is blocking the ads.

Last Tab works. Mostly. Holding ctrl-f4 for long enough still closes Chrome.

The current annoyance is how tabs behave when I middle click to open a new tab. What I want is for the new tab to open at the right of the tab bar, then when I close the current tab Chrome switches to the next tab to the right.
I have found an extension to get the tabs opening on the right. But when I close the current tab, Chrome switches to a tab I opened from the current tab. Which is annoying as that tab is often still loading, but the tabs in between are fully loaded.

Edit: New annoyance. Chrome grabs focus when I open a link from another program. Which is annoying when I want to open a lot of them, or open a link so I can view it later.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Ask your self this. Is the difference in FPS really worth your trouble, given how much you are having?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

These troubles, once solved, will stay solved. So I don't see it as giving Chrome a fair chance unless I solve them before evaluating, as I've had years to get Firefox to my liking.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Tab Position Options is what I used to use to make the tab opening/closing behavior closer to Firefox (what I had set up in Tab Mix Plus, at least), but since I like having Chrome set to 'continue where you left off' on startup, I had to uninstall it due to it usually causing all but the leftmost tab to open in reverse order.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Executor32 wrote:Tab Position Options is what I used to use to make the tab opening/closing behavior closer to Firefox (what I had set up in Tab Mix Plus, at least), but since I like having Chrome set to 'continue where you left off' on startup, I had to uninstall it due to it usually causing all but the leftmost tab to open in reverse order.
Thanks. That works.

Now I'm going to make myself use Chrome for the next week, then see how I feel at the end of it.