Does anyone else feel really weird?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

User avatar
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 3358
Joined: 2002-08-03 03:34am
Location: Weeeee!
Contact:

Does anyone else feel really weird?

Postby Alex Moon » 2003-03-19 07:38pm

I mean, here we are, sitting thousands of miles away, watching a city live on tv, that any moment it going to come under attack.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 36688
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-03-19 07:40pm

Feel really weird? That can only mean one thing, a TV transmitted Iraq Biochemical attack!

However, I don't though I do have CNN on and am flipping between a couple news channels. But watching or waiting for some place to be struck isn't new.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 3358
Joined: 2002-08-03 03:34am
Location: Weeeee!
Contact:

Postby Alex Moon » 2003-03-19 07:44pm

Sea Skimmer wrote:Feel really weird? That can only mean one thing, a TV transmitted Iraq Biochemical attack!


Waaaaah, where's my duct tape! :D

However, I don't though I do have CNN on and am flipping between a couple news channels. But watching or waiting for some place to be struck isn't new.


Hm, well it is for me. Maybe it's just that msnbc has that picture on the side of the screen. Its similar to those websites where they tell you to watch the picture, which suddenly changes changes to some horrifying thing complete with screaming. You know the ones I'm talking about? I get the same feeling as I see those when I watch the tv screen.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB
Posts: 19195
Joined: 2002-07-28 12:30pm
Contact:

Postby weemadando » 2003-03-19 07:44pm

Well, I'm at the cafe and waiting.

We've got a few navy guys about to fly out doing their good-bye e-mails etc.

I'm just hoping that neither side decides to do something stupid and that it is quick and relatively bloodless for all involved. Even Saddam. I want to see him sharing a cell with Milosevic at the Hague.

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 36688
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-03-19 07:47pm

I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3508
Joined: 2002-08-18 03:07pm
Location: The Adirondacks

Postby Andrew J. » 2003-03-19 07:48pm

Yeah, I think I know what you mean.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.

User avatar
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego
Posts: 12882
Joined: 2002-10-17 08:48am
Location: Hamilton, Ohio?

Postby Frank Hipper » 2003-03-19 07:50pm

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
No arguments there. Although a long drawn out humiliation is not without it's appeal, as well....
Image
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Postby Stormbringer » 2003-03-19 07:51pm

Frank Hipper wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
No arguments there. Although a long drawn out humiliation is not without it's appeal, as well....


As fun as that'd be I'd rather he just ends up dead. No last stand, just a bullet to the head and that's it.
Image

User avatar
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7879
Joined: 2003-01-15 10:50am
Location: Montreal Canada North America

Postby Montcalm » 2003-03-19 07:55pm

weemadando wrote:I want to see him sharing a cell with Milosevic at the Hague.
And who`s gonna be who`s bitch :lol:
Image
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.

User avatar
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 8952
Joined: 2002-07-05 05:45pm

Postby Wicked Pilot » 2003-03-19 08:21pm

I wish I was out there with the troops, even as an enlisted person. If I was given the chance to leave here and go to Kuwait to hook up with an engineering flight, or some other unit with the coalition, I'd sure as hell jump on it.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.

User avatar
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5850
Joined: 2002-07-04 11:49pm
Location: San Jose, California

Postby TrailerParkJawa » 2003-03-19 08:24pm

Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

User avatar
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom
Posts: 13180
Joined: 2002-08-29 10:01pm
Location: California
Contact:

Postby neoolong » 2003-03-19 08:46pm

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.


I concur. I'm old enough to remember it on TV from the first Gulf War.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@

User avatar
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5850
Joined: 2002-07-04 11:49pm
Location: San Jose, California

Postby TrailerParkJawa » 2003-03-19 10:09pm

neoolong wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.


I concur. I'm old enough to remember it on TV from the first Gulf War.


As I listen to Bush speak and read the board, another thought occured to me.
The first war was different because so many people I knew from high school were in the military at the time. So in a sense the first war was my generations war, having graduated in 1989.

This time, its the generation of many of you.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

User avatar
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.
Posts: 3891
Joined: 2002-07-03 02:38am
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby Robert Treder » 2003-03-19 10:57pm

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
neoolong wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.


I concur. I'm old enough to remember it on TV from the first Gulf War.


As I listen to Bush speak and read the board, another thought occured to me.
The first war was different because so many people I knew from high school were in the military at the time. So in a sense the first war was my generations war, having graduated in 1989.

This time, its the generation of many of you.


I think you're right there. My english teacher during my senior year used to talk about how she was a senior in high school when the Gulf War started, and her boyfriend was a Marine shipping out, and how scared she was. I understood, but didn't really understand, if that makes any sense.
This time, I know people going over. My cousin, one of my ex-coworkers, this guy in my math class...and I have a different understanding of the situation and of war in general.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB

User avatar
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5850
Joined: 2002-07-04 11:49pm
Location: San Jose, California

Postby TrailerParkJawa » 2003-03-19 11:02pm

Robert Treder wrote:I think you're right there. My english teacher during my senior year used to talk about how she was a senior in high school when the Gulf War started, and her boyfriend was a Marine shipping out, and how scared she was. I understood, but didn't really understand, if that makes any sense.
This time, I know people going over. My cousin, one of my ex-coworkers, this guy in my math class...and I have a different understanding of the situation and of war in general.


Yes, now I only have 1 friend who remains in the miltiary and he is an E-7 in the USMCR. So far he has not been activated.


Here is a weird thing, they just showed a clip of a destroyer launching a cruise missile. Nothing new, but they said the video was emailed from the ship to the Pentagon.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13534
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Tsyroc » 2003-03-20 11:44am

How do you think my mom felt? My first deployment in the Navy was covered all over the news (and kept being rerun) because we were the first carrier [USS Saratoga (CV-60)] to deploy after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990. We were in the news again when we went through the Suez canal and took over for the Ike. Going through the Suez wasn't something American carriers often did at the time. Thanks to Saddam they do it almost regularly now it seems. My mom still complains from time to time about the feeling she got seeing my ship deploy like that.

In a lot of ways I think having everything on TV like we do now makes it harder for everyone who's not directly involved but knows someone who is.

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13534
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Tsyroc » 2003-03-20 11:46am

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
Here is a weird thing, they just showed a clip of a destroyer launching a cruise missile. Nothing new, but they said the video was emailed from the ship to the Pentagon.


CNN's website had a picture of Lonestar's ship the Bunker Hill firing tomahawks. That has to be kind of weird to him since he was supposed to be with them.

User avatar
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2002-07-16 05:07pm
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Postby irishmick79 » 2003-03-20 11:51am

What is really weird is watching footage of the planes taking off from the carriers on strike missions. That's just something you don't expect to see happening live.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying

"What Senator McCain was able to do was to help bring all of the parties to the table, including the House Republicans, whose votes were needed to pass this."
Steven Schmidt, chief strategist for the McCain Campaign, you FAIL.

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13534
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Tsyroc » 2003-03-20 11:55am

Yeah, I was suprised they had a news crew on the Abraham Lincoln and they were broadcasting from the island overlooking the flight deck. :?

User avatar
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13772
Joined: 2002-09-12 12:47am
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Postby Uraniun235 » 2003-03-20 07:34pm

It feels weird for me because it's the first "war" that I can clearly remember. I don't remember 1991 very well, and Kosovo never seemed that big.

It's just a little anxiety I guess... not knowing what comes next. I definitely do not like war.


Return to “News and Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lord Revan and 10 guests