Does anyone else feel really weird?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Does anyone else feel really weird?

Post by Alex Moon »

I mean, here we are, sitting thousands of miles away, watching a city live on tv, that any moment it going to come under attack.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Feel really weird? That can only mean one thing, a TV transmitted Iraq Biochemical attack!

However, I don't though I do have CNN on and am flipping between a couple news channels. But watching or waiting for some place to be struck isn't new.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Feel really weird? That can only mean one thing, a TV transmitted Iraq Biochemical attack!
Waaaaah, where's my duct tape! :D
However, I don't though I do have CNN on and am flipping between a couple news channels. But watching or waiting for some place to be struck isn't new.
Hm, well it is for me. Maybe it's just that msnbc has that picture on the side of the screen. Its similar to those websites where they tell you to watch the picture, which suddenly changes changes to some horrifying thing complete with screaming. You know the ones I'm talking about? I get the same feeling as I see those when I watch the tv screen.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, I'm at the cafe and waiting.

We've got a few navy guys about to fly out doing their good-bye e-mails etc.

I'm just hoping that neither side decides to do something stupid and that it is quick and relatively bloodless for all involved. Even Saddam. I want to see him sharing a cell with Milosevic at the Hague.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Yeah, I think I know what you mean.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
No arguments there. Although a long drawn out humiliation is not without it's appeal, as well....
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Frank Hipper wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd rather he shares his blood with the earth. A finnal end to that chapter in the middle east and world history would be good.
No arguments there. Although a long drawn out humiliation is not without it's appeal, as well....
As fun as that'd be I'd rather he just ends up dead. No last stand, just a bullet to the head and that's it.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

weemadando wrote:I want to see him sharing a cell with Milosevic at the Hague.
And who`s gonna be who`s bitch :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I wish I was out there with the troops, even as an enlisted person. If I was given the chance to leave here and go to Kuwait to hook up with an engineering flight, or some other unit with the coalition, I'd sure as hell jump on it.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.
I concur. I'm old enough to remember it on TV from the first Gulf War.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

neoolong wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:Since this is my second Gulf War on TV it does not feel weird like last time. I remember watching SCUD attacks live on TV and feeling the fear come through the tv.
As I listen to Bush speak and read the board, another thought occured to me.
The first war was different because so many people I knew from high school were in the military at the time. So in a sense the first war was my generations war, having graduated in 1989.

This time, its the generation of many of you.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
neoolong wrote:
As I listen to Bush speak and read the board, another thought occured to me.
The first war was different because so many people I knew from high school were in the military at the time. So in a sense the first war was my generations war, having graduated in 1989.

This time, its the generation of many of you.
I think you're right there. My english teacher during my senior year used to talk about how she was a senior in high school when the Gulf War started, and her boyfriend was a Marine shipping out, and how scared she was. I understood, but didn't really understand, if that makes any sense.
This time, I know people going over. My cousin, one of my ex-coworkers, this guy in my math class...and I have a different understanding of the situation and of war in general.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Robert Treder wrote: I think you're right there. My english teacher during my senior year used to talk about how she was a senior in high school when the Gulf War started, and her boyfriend was a Marine shipping out, and how scared she was. I understood, but didn't really understand, if that makes any sense.
This time, I know people going over. My cousin, one of my ex-coworkers, this guy in my math class...and I have a different understanding of the situation and of war in general.
Yes, now I only have 1 friend who remains in the miltiary and he is an E-7 in the USMCR. So far he has not been activated.

Here is a weird thing, they just showed a clip of a destroyer launching a cruise missile. Nothing new, but they said the video was emailed from the ship to the Pentagon.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

How do you think my mom felt? My first deployment in the Navy was covered all over the news (and kept being rerun) because we were the first carrier [USS Saratoga (CV-60)] to deploy after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990. We were in the news again when we went through the Suez canal and took over for the Ike. Going through the Suez wasn't something American carriers often did at the time. Thanks to Saddam they do it almost regularly now it seems. My mom still complains from time to time about the feeling she got seeing my ship deploy like that.

In a lot of ways I think having everything on TV like we do now makes it harder for everyone who's not directly involved but knows someone who is.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
Here is a weird thing, they just showed a clip of a destroyer launching a cruise missile. Nothing new, but they said the video was emailed from the ship to the Pentagon.
CNN's website had a picture of Lonestar's ship the Bunker Hill firing tomahawks. That has to be kind of weird to him since he was supposed to be with them.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

What is really weird is watching footage of the planes taking off from the carriers on strike missions. That's just something you don't expect to see happening live.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Yeah, I was suprised they had a news crew on the Abraham Lincoln and they were broadcasting from the island overlooking the flight deck. :?
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

It feels weird for me because it's the first "war" that I can clearly remember. I don't remember 1991 very well, and Kosovo never seemed that big.

It's just a little anxiety I guess... not knowing what comes next. I definitely do not like war.