Upcoming movie projects

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Upcoming movie projects

Post by Ahriman238 »

So I was cruising IMDb after a link threw me there when I saw some of the long list of films in pre-production (which may or may not get made into films) for the next 1-3 years, several of these projects might interest the board, though some will likely never make the final jump onto film.

Adaptations:

TMNT- most of us already know about this one.

Peter and the Starcatchers- a prequel novel to Peter Pan.

Bone- best series of graphic novels I've ever read.

Treasure Island- never seen THAT on film before.

Narnia: the Magician's Nephew- is this still going? I only saw part of the first film.

Pinocchio- a "darker retelling" by Guillermo Del Toro? I'm in.

Paddinton- Fuck you, you fucking fuckheaded fucks. :finger:

Honor Harrington- link that led me here. Will apparently be the second book, Honor of the Queen.

Wicked- kind of surprised this didn't happen earlier, tbh.

Into the Woods- yay! Sondheim's dark-ish comedy about fairy tales.

Jesus Christ, Superstar- :banghead: . Again, half the religious audience will boycott out of principle, the rest don't want to see it.

Bleach- live adaptation. It could work, with a seriously good director and cast, if they stayed out of the massive storylines.

Death Note- not sure if this will be animated or live.

Asteroids- there are no words for dumb this sounds.

Assassin's Creed- never played the game, faintly interested in the film.

Twisted Metal- how? How would this even work?

Rampage- giant monsters leveling cities? Fine by me.

Captain Planet & the Planeteers- really. Really?!?

The 39 Clues- is a decent kids' book series that probably won't make great cinema.

Dallas- yes, this is the TV show that desperately needed a film adapation.

Perry Mason-can you even do that without Raymond Burr?

The Zombie Survival Guide- oh hell yes.

Spy vs. Spy-meh.

Wings- it's a book about a girl, part of a secretive set of humanity that grow wings during puberty. Mostly, they get them hacked off, but some live in shelters like this secluded farmhouse. They can't fly, until they fill water wings with helium. I'm not even kidding.

The Athena Project- techno-spy thriller.

Chariots of the Gods- see Ancient Astronauts visit ancient human civilizations.

Sequels:

Enchanted 2- really?

Salt 2- didn't see the original, I'm not especially interested.

Zorro Reborn

Dog Soldiers: Fresh Meat- don't think it really needed a sequel.

King Kong- animated this time.

Remakes:

Seven Samurai- unless you think you can do better than the original, don't even try with a remake That's my rule and it's only borne out by:

Scarface

An American Werewolf in London

Dune- this... has potential, but so far no announced producer or director.

Drop Dead Fred- couldn't be any worse than the original.

Wargames- hasn't there already been a recent remake?

Comic Book:

Ant-Man- a hard sell, longtime comics fans hate the character, everyone else won't care.

Daredevil Reboot- mildly optimistic

Punisher Reboot- not even slightly

Fantastic Four Reboot- will probably get off Netflix or Amazon

The Black Panther- Now we're talking.

The Silver Surfer- Fox, or Marvel studios, I wonder?

Sub-Mariner- the Namor film that's been in development hell for years, I'm assuming.

Green Lantern 2- glad they got the go ahead, as much as I didn't like the first one.

Anhiliator- an attempt by Stan Lee to write a superhero story about a new character, never before appeared in comics.

Original Sci-fi

Jupiter Ascending- girl is secretly going to be Queen of the Universe, must survive assassination attempts and political manipulation.

Pixels- 80s video game villains leap into our world and start trashing New York. Only gamers know the weaknesses of these invaders.

Future Fighters- starfighter pilots in a war against invading aliens.

Interstellar- exploring the far side of a wormhole

Earth to Echo- Disney film about kids adopting an alien robot/probe. Actually in theaters now.

Home- CGI, cutesy aliens called the Bloov settle on Earth, forcibly relocate humans. A little girl slips the net and befriends an alien kid. Definitely a kid's film.

Forever- robot-dominated future, in which a kid tries to investigate the origins of humanity.

Kitchen Sink- a town where people, vampires and zombies used to get along, until a stranger stirs of tensions. Now a trio of friends, one of each 'race' have to set things right.

Rust- weird kid with a jetpack crashes on a farm, gets taken in.

I Killed Adolf Hitler- two guys are hired to take a time machine and kill Hitler. I assume hilarity ensues, such as the Nazis rising with a better leader.

Invertigo- bullshit happens and reverses gravity on Earth, things now falling forever away from the ground. A team of scientists must reverse this effect. So, a lot like Sunshine or the Core?

Deep- post-apocalyptic underwater civilization.

Chaos Walking- a "all women vanish, everyone can read everyone else's minds" apocalypse.

Altered Carbon- in a future where minds can be saved and uploaded, a cop gets to solve his own murder.

Aliens vs. Ninja- nothing but the title known. Perhaps part of the Aliens franchise's final fall?

Gaslight- Jack the Ripper, secretly imprisoned in a mental hospital, plays Hannibal Lecter to the cops who caught them in a series of cases that may or may be the work of vampires.

Guardians of Space and Time- aliens with casual interstellar teleport and time-travel powers investigate human history.

The Tribe- remember that TOS episode where all the adults on a planet died from a disease? Like that with more Lord of the Flies mixed in.

Tipping Point- sterile population-controlled future gets a little rebellion injected in.

Zombies vs. Gladiators- sorcerer curses Rome to suffer a plague of zombies before dying in the Coliseum.

Caves of Steel- a pro-robotics politician in an anti-AI society turns up dead.

2084-robot controlled future, rebel against the machines.

End of History- future time agents face down a Mongol horde with none of their advanced technology.

Historical

The Dreyfuss Affair- I'm interested in spite of myself.

The Battle of New Orleans

Kings of Angkor: Army of a Thousand Elephants

Churchill and Roosevelt- examination of the relationship between two world leaders.

Men at Arnheim- Operation Market Garden (previous seen in the excellent WWII film "A Bridge Too Far.")

Saladin- Third Crusade, hopefully as a title character Saladin won't randomly be a mustache-twirling villain in this one.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Upcoming movie projects

Post by Enigma »

Though I won't see any movies, there are some here that I'd to see when they are available on DVD.
TMNT- most of us already know about this one.
I've seen all of the 90's version, so it'll be interesting to see newer take on them.
Pinocchio- a "darker retelling" by Guillermo Del Toro? I'm in.
Then he'll probably be basing the movie on the original story. The original was dark enough I believe.
Paddinton- Fuck you, you fucking fuckheaded fucks. :finger:
Meh. I'm quite ambivalent on it.
Honor Harrington- link that led me here. Will apparently be the second book, Honor of the Queen.
I'll definitely get the DVD. Mind you, basing the movie on the second book rather than the first makes some sense. You want lots of action packed space combat. Basilik Station is a snoozefest compared to HotQ.
Bleach- live adaptation. It could work, with a seriously good director and cast, if they stayed out of the massive storylines.
Might buy it.
Asteroids- there are no words for dumb this sounds.
Can't be worse than Battleship.
Assassin's Creed- never played the game, faintly interested in the film.
Same here.
Twisted Metal- how? How would this even work?
If they can make a movie Death Race, then they can make this but a lot more extreme. :)
Rampage- giant monsters leveling cities? Fine by me.
Wanna bet this will be a disappointment?
The Zombie Survival Guide- oh hell yes.
Looks like something I'd watch.
Spy vs. Spy-meh.
I can't see that this will end well.
The Athena Project- techno-spy thriller.

That is enough to get my attention. :)
Salt 2- didn't see the original, I'm not especially interested.
I found the original to be ok. The ending makes it so that it could've stood alone or they could've made a franchise out of it.
Zorro Reborn
On the fence with this.
Might see this but I never read the books nor seen the original movie.
Ant-Man- a hard sell, longtime comics fans hate the character, everyone else won't care.

Daredevil Reboot- mildly optimistic

Punisher Reboot- not even slightly

Fantastic Four Reboot- will probably get off Netflix or Amazon

The Black Panther- Now we're talking.

The Silver Surfer- Fox, or Marvel studios, I wonder?

Sub-Mariner- the Namor film that's been in development hell for years, I'm assuming.

Green Lantern 2- glad they got the go ahead, as much as I didn't like the first one.

Anhiliator- an attempt by Stan Lee to write a superhero story about a new character, never before appeared in comics.

Yup. Will watch them all. :)
Jupiter Ascending- girl is secretly going to be Queen of the Universe, must survive assassination attempts and political manipulation.

Pixels- 80s video game villains leap into our world and start trashing New York. Only gamers know the weaknesses of these invaders.

Future Fighters- starfighter pilots in a war against invading aliens.

Interstellar- exploring the far side of a wormhole
Yes please. Even if some are crap. :)
Earth to Echo- Disney film about kids adopting an alien robot/probe. Actually in theaters now.
Not too sure.
Forever- robot-dominated future, in which a kid tries to investigate the origins of humanity.

Kitchen Sink- a town where people, vampires and zombies used to get along, until a stranger stirs of tensions. Now a trio of friends, one of each 'race' have to set things right.

Rust- weird kid with a jetpack crashes on a farm, gets taken in.
Looks interesting enough.
I Killed Adolf Hitler- two guys are hired to take a time machine and kill Hitler. I assume hilarity ensues, such as the Nazis rising with a better leader.

Invertigo- bullshit happens and reverses gravity on Earth, things now falling forever away from the ground. A team of scientists must reverse this effect. So, a lot like Sunshine or the Core?

Deep- post-apocalyptic underwater civilization.

Chaos Walking- a "all women vanish, everyone can read everyone else's minds" apocalypse.

Altered Carbon- in a future where minds can be saved and uploaded, a cop gets to solve his own murder.

Aliens vs. Ninja- nothing but the title known. Perhaps part of the Aliens franchise's final fall?

Gaslight- Jack the Ripper, secretly imprisoned in a mental hospital, plays Hannibal Lecter to the cops who caught them in a series of cases that may or may be the work of vampires.

Guardians of Space and Time- aliens with casual interstellar teleport and time-travel powers investigate human history.
Curious enough to see them.
Zombies vs. Gladiators- sorcerer curses Rome to suffer a plague of zombies before dying in the Coliseum.

Caves of Steel- a pro-robotics politician in an anti-AI society turns up dead.

2084-robot controlled future, rebel against the machines.

End of History- future time agents face down a Mongol horde with none of their advanced technology.
Yup. Please turn your mind off and enjoy the movies. :)

A good chunk on that list I'd see. But if I were to check their release dates, it'll be probably spread throughout the rest of the decade. :(
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Quote:

Might see this but I never read the books nor seen the original movie.
Which original? There's two movies based off of Dune proper. (Though the second is more like a mini series.)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Ahriman238 wrote: Daredevil Reboot- mildly optimistic
The upcoming Daredevil project is a Netflix original TV series rather than a movie. (See also: Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist. PS: should have just gone straight for Heroes for Hire as an ensemble to contrast with Daredevil)

Probably a good thing, the core ideas of DD will probably work better in a serial format where you can keep Kingpin as a constant presence over a period of time to show how difficult it is for anything to be done legally to shut him down.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

While Bleach is not currently good, it has been good in the past. It should take them a good few movies to get up to the point where it starts being not so good, so there's certainly promise to this.
Death Note- not sure if this will be animated or live.
Death Note was more interesting to me when he was just a vigilante and not Spoiler
a cop-killer.
I've watched and enjoyed both the movie and the two miniseries, but they did have their flaws, so I'll keep an eye on this.
Wargames- hasn't there already been a recent remake?
This is a movie that should not be remade. It's very much a Cold War movie, and everyone already knows the punchline.
Vendetta wrote:PS: should have just gone straight for Heroes for Hire as an ensemble to contrast with Daredevil)
That's what I said. Heroes for Hire ranks up there with Cable and Deadpool for teamups I'd like to see.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I'm gonna go ahead and assume the "Aliens vs. Ninja" one is a sequel to "Aliens vs. Cowboys".
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Lagmonster wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and assume the "Aliens vs. Ninja" one is a sequel to "Aliens vs. Cowboys".
That was my thought as well, but everything on Google refers to a Japanese B-movie about Ninjas and mind-controlling aliens in the past.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

They already did a Death Note live-action film in Japan, anyway. It was not well received. If this is a Western re-make, I doubt it'll do very well either.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

That is enough to get my attention. :)
The original book argues seriously for the Ancient Astronauts theory, that advanced aliens gave early humanity writing, language and culture. There's definitely some oddities he notes in the archaeological record, but it's a hell of a leap from "there's something weird here" to "of course! Aliens!" and Danikin doesn't make it convincingly.

As for Earth to Echo, well here's the trailer. Echo... phone... home.

However, this trailer/short for Home amused the hell out of me.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They did two live action Death Note films and both did well in Japan, basically split the story into two parts but the first movie was supposed to be able to stand alone. I don't think a Western remake would do well either, but mainly because they'll choose the dumbest things to concentrate on and waste as much time as possible.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

One I saw randomly was that apparently there is supposed to be a movie adaptation of Thunder Run, based on David Zucchino's book, about the drive into Baghdad. Given the current troubles in that nation, I don't see it going over terribly well in 2015 when it is apparently set to come out.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

When it comes to remakes, sequels and adaptations, I think something broke inside me a few months back, that now allows me to barely flinch when I see, for example, a Seven Samurai remake. I believe it can be traced back to learning about the Postman Pat Movie. Since then, nothing can surprise me anymore.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't see any thing wrong in concept of a Postman Pat movie for kids. Its when you have it about Postman Pat winning Britian's got talent and being replaced in Greendale by a robot postman that you've got problems...
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Sea Skimmer wrote:They did two live action Death Note films and both did well in Japan, basically split the story into two parts but the first movie was supposed to be able to stand alone. I don't think a Western remake would do well either, but mainly because they'll choose the dumbest things to concentrate on and waste as much time as possible.
Have you ever seen Infernal Affairs and/or The Departed? Death Note already has that sort of feel to it, but I would not be at all surprised if the movie was butchered for the same purpose.
Spoiler
In the original, the mole inside the police department gets away with it. In the remake, he is unceremoniously shot in an unsatisfying manner. It felt like something out of the Comics Code, like you could hear the censor muttering "Crime Does Not Pay" as he rewrote it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Here's another one that I just found out about: Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender. Which honestly seems like excellent casting.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Chimaera wrote:When it comes to remakes, sequels and adaptations, I think something broke inside me a few months back, that now allows me to barely flinch when I see, for example, a Seven Samurai remake..
Seven Samurai?

You mean that movie that got remade as a western and then in space?

Remaking it set in feudal Japan is the surprise there....
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Ahriman238 wrote: The Tribe- remember that TOS episode where all the adults on a planet died from a disease? Like that with more Lord of the Flies mixed in.
This one I think is NOT original sci-fi, rather based on a 90s TV series (either from Australia or New Zealand, can't remember which). It got weirder and weirder as time went on and ended up with a fanatical religious cult worshipping the dead big brother of one of the original main characters (his nickname was Zoot or something), a bunch of technocrats dressing in rubber and latex and zapping people with their frickin' laser guns, a Saw/reality TV show mix and an honest-to-God functioning, hypercompetent and malevolent AI. It all ended up in a big explosion leaving a lot of plot hooks concerning the characters' relationships hanging, but maybe the writers thought that they really couldn't return to the more grounded original feel after maniac cultists, maniac 80s sci-fi villain wannabes and a poor man's version of Skynet. And of course all the actors were in their twenties by that point.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess