What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Dalton »

Oh wow, this site also has the rest of the Posleen series and a bunch of other stuff, and it IS completely legit. Great find.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Dalton wrote:Oh wow, this site also has the rest of the Posleen series and a bunch of other stuff, and it IS completely legit. Great find.
Yeah, Baen is pretty awesome in that they have ultra-liberal licensing for ebooks (aka "go ahead and share"). It's too bad they're such a terrible publisher these days.
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

Star Trek TNG: Dark Mirror

I am up to chapter 5 and it's an entertaining novel so far.
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Working through the Brubaker run on Daredevil as part of my induction into the world of Marvel.

Not that this counts as a conversion from DC or anything.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

InnerBrat wrote:Working through the Brubaker run on Daredevil as part of my induction into the world of Marvel.

Not that this counts as a conversion from DC or anything.
We actually have more room for new fans over at Marvel, so welcome aboard! :P Actually, I've always been a fan of both DC & Marvel and their stable of superheroes.
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Action Avenue wrote:We actually have more room for new fans over at Marvel, so welcome aboard! :P Actually, I've always been a fan of both DC & Marvel and their stable of superheroes.
I was so dismissive of Matt for ages because his superpower was "he isn't really blind."

If only someone had sat be down years ago and said: "No, IB, you don't get it. He's REALLY ANGRY. And A NINJA and has ALL THE DADDY ISSUES YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW, and also HE'S A GIANT ASSHOLE WHO SUES A PAPER FOR TELLING THE TRUTH." Then I might have given it a go.

If I catch up with this enough to put it on my pull list, it will be the 3rd Marvel title, with Punisher and Captain Marvel. I'm picking up Marvel titles as quickly as I'm dropping DC ones.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Reading up on Dawkins, only ever read The God Delusion before. Finished the Selfish Gene recently and now I am listening to an audiobook version of "On the origin of species" by Darwin, read by Dawkins. I particularly enjoy audiobooks for listening to while driving from and to work.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

started 5th elephant, now officially past jingo

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Re-reading "Ilium" by Dan Simmons. In retrospect, it really is inferior to Lord of Light, the discussions of Shakespere and Proust are just auto skips as far as i'm concerned (worse than speeches in Ayn Rand's books).
. Hoping to get started on Steven Pinker after that.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Post-Captain by Patrick O'Brien. For a swashbucking naval adventure, Aubrey and Maturin have spend most of the first three or four chapters on the shore playing pride and prejudice...

Hornblower never spent this much time ashore. :(
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Just finished Shadowland and about to start on Daredevil: Reborn in my marathoning of Daredevil that really only started to impress a girl.

Meanwhile I was at friends' last week and one of them had boxes filled with books ready to go to Goodwill, in which I found a bunch of Greg Ruckas, including the complete Atticus Kodiak books. So I'm reading Keeper, with all the weird disconnect that comes from reading a book written and set in the 90s. What is a "pay phone" or a "pager?" Why are people having to go to such extraordinary lengths to stay in contact with each other? It's strange.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Crazedwraith wrote:Post-Captain by Patrick O'Brien. For a swashbucking naval adventure, Aubrey and Maturin have spend most of the first three or four chapters on the shore playing pride and prejudice...

Carry on reading - they do manage to get back to sea in this book :-)

I am reading the german translation of Wages of Destruction - very informative, but again my lack of interest in economic theory.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan. I love Egan's writing so much, and this is no exception. Hard scifi, with an extra-large helping of MATHS.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Reading "The Honour of the Knights" by Stephen J. Sweeney. Dude needs a better editor.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Raesene wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Post-Captain by Patrick O'Brien. For a swashbucking naval adventure, Aubrey and Maturin have spend most of the first three or four chapters on the shore playing pride and prejudice...

Carry on reading - they do manage to get back to sea in this book :-)
Yep and then they are captured by privateers. Not having a good time. Is this book aslo serious suggesting people cannot tell the difference between a live bear and Aubrey dressed in a bear hide?
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Reading the final Artemis Fowl book. You know, I love that series, but the last few books have gone steadily downhill, and this one is hands down the worst. It has the main villain killing her past self in the present (time travel crap), which causes her to explode like a nuclear bomb, which she then survives through willpower and anti-radiation foam, and then manages to will herself back together, but with quantum magical powers.

... and that's not even the worst part. He's honestly just making shit up as he goes along (as he has been doing for the last two books). It's pretty obvious that he's fed up with the series, so it's probably a good thing this is the last one. It's a shame though, because I really did love the earlier books.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Reading the Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln (it's an alternate history novel by Stephen Carter).

Funny how the idea of a black woman wanting to be a lawyer seems more plausible in the 1860s compared to the 1920s, at least IMHO.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Finally got the Kindle I got as a Christmas present working. Bummed a free copy of Triplanetary, so maybe I'll see what all the fuss is about.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Hate to do it, but this thread is HUEG.

Too huge.

So, totally without prejudice and with reluctance, THREAD LOCKED.

See you in What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.