Doctor Who S7 trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Doctor Who S7 trailer

Post by Dartzap »

Couldnt find the other thread from ages ago but hey ho.

Anyway, new trailer came out this morning. Have fun figuring it out! :P

and for those unable to see that on YT
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Doctor Who S7 trailer

Post by Gandalf »

So there's a Dalek story, an Angel story, and a dinosaur one.

I'm getting sick of the repetitive "I'm the Doctor! I kill everyone and I'm awesome!" stuff. Either do it better or don't do it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Wow. I can't wait to see what the Space Marine looking things turn out to be.

"We're very cross with you!" :lol:
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Gandalf wrote:So there's a Dalek story, an Angel story, and a dinosaur one.

I'm getting sick of the repetitive "I'm the Doctor! I kill everyone and I'm awesome!" stuff. Either do it better or don't do it.
I'm possibly reading way too much into it, but I don't think he means himself when he says "Who do you think?" Spoiler
I rather suspect its his missus
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I thought the very same thing for a moment...and you could be right. I also hope it doesn't lead to another case of "ZOMG but they're supposed to be all dead" again. They don't have to genocide the Daleks every freakin' time they show up, FFS.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Darth Lucifer wrote:Wow. I can't wait to see what the Space Marine looking things turn out to be.

"We're very cross with you!" :lol:
This is how you say "You're about to be bolter-ed, Xeno scum!" on Brit tv? :P
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Darth Lucifer wrote:I thought the very same thing for a moment...and you could be right. I also hope it doesn't lead to another case of "ZOMG but they're supposed to be all dead" again. They don't have to genocide the Daleks every freakin' time they show up, FFS.
Moffat has consistently treated the Daleks as being at the very least having a new empire up and running, if not exactly being at their Time War level of strength, so hopefully he won't be in any mood to change that.

Speaking of the Time War, funny how 99% of the Daleks seen in that trailer were the RTD-era models. Either we're going to see a tacit admission that the Technicolour Daleks were a fuck-up and return to the previous version, or the VFX guys had the foresight to make their CGI models of the Time War Daleks good enough for HD resolution, and they're just using them for the "crowd scenes" to save time on making CGI models of the Technicolour ones.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I think they had colored domes. Or at least some of them (in the scene with the rotunda, 19-20 seconds in)
Which works remarkably well - it still allows different models and designations, but doesn't produce a garish color scheme.

Also, the Master gets mentioned. NOW i am exicted, the Master and Eleven REALLY have to meet!
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I think they had colored domes. Or at least some of them (in the scene with the rotunda, 19-20 seconds in)
Nope, most are bronze, there are a couple in the back around that mark that are a dark red though..
I'm possibly reading way too much into it, but I don't think he means himself when he says "Who do you think?"
Spoiler
Maybe. I'm thinking it's more likely to be Rory in a blackout "I'm a millennia old soldier fanatically devoted to my wife but consciously repress the memories of it because I don't like to remember it' rage.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

IIRC they are planning to have Daleks from every era in the show this season for the 50 year celebrations.
What is WRONG with you people
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Alkaloid wrote:Spoiler
Maybe. I'm thinking it's more likely to be Rory in a blackout "I'm a millennia old soldier fanatically devoted to my wife but consciously repress the memories of it because I don't like to remember it' rage.
Spoiler
Who showed up in the trailer and is known to scare Daleks?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

I can't wait for this season! I hope they treat the Daleks well, cause I don't want another one shot, they all die, story.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Hillary wrote:IIRC they are planning to have Daleks from every era in the show this season for the 50 year celebrations.
"Asylum of the Daleks". First episode of the season.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wait was that mickey in the trailor (from Ecclestone's who?)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Thanas wrote:wait was that mickey in the trailor (from Ecclestone's who?)
No, just a different black man in snow gear.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

TimothyC wrote:
Alkaloid wrote:Spoiler
Spoiler
Who showed up in the trailer and is known to scare Daleks?
I didn't see Ace in it.

I refuse to acknowledge an unarmed, unshielded and nearly powerless Dalek as being "afraid". It was stalling for time. River Song is wanked quite enough, thank you.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

Atlan wrote:
I refuse to acknowledge an unarmed, unshielded and nearly powerless Dalek as being "afraid". It was stalling for time. River Song is wanked quite enough, thank you.
I totally agree with that statement.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I don't think the Master is turning up, he's referred to:

"Today I honour all the victims, the Master's, the Daleks, all those who died because of my mercy." etc.

I'm really getting sick of this "I'm the most wonderful and yet most feared person of all time" crap. It was bad enough when Ten did it. Urgh.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: I'm really getting sick of this "I'm the most wonderful and yet most feared person of all time" crap. It was bad enough when Ten did it. Urgh.
I mostly agree with that. It's good every once in a while, and I think Smith does it better than Tennant, but I wish they would go back to the old days of a mysterious man and his blue box, hopping from place to place, and not many realize who he is.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

I think they keep turning the Doctor up to 11 too much. If you consider the best episodes of the revival, they're usually not the omnipoaclypse eps, they're usually the quieter ones. If you put the fate of the multiverse on the line every goddamn second it loses significance.

I also wish they'd not have the Doctor blundering into his adventures and creating the problems in the first place. I'd like him to be a little more on the ball.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

jollyreaper wrote:I also wish they'd not have the Doctor blundering into his adventures and creating the problems in the first place. I'd like him to be a little more on the ball.
He's been doing that for half a century (or the best part of a millennium IU). I don't think that's going to change any time soon.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I do like the scene where Rory lights a match and a cherub/Angel blows it out :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

As a relative newcomer to the Who thing, and not a devoted fanboy but a casually interested watcher who'll sit through the upcoming season with interest when my GF puts them on, I don't have a problem with the Doctor always blowing up everyone or being a relative clumsy dunce most of the time--since it seems to be what the show is about in the micro sense and in the macro sense you get to see his evolution as a character across 11 incarnations and many more seasons, which is pretty interesting in a sit-back-and-think way.

However, I would also agree that the jump from "beer and pretzels television" to actually gripping and interesting would require neutering the blatant plot armor employed by the Doctor (most things he faces have, like, literally no chance against him) as well as allowing River to exit the series and for him to stop killing all of the X every few episodes.

They may not be able to stop him from blundering into things and making it worse before he makes it better, that's fine, that's his schtick--but I do think they could stop him from obliterating foes all the time, and dropping the "most feared" part of "most wonderful and most feared" would be nice. I've never taken him seriously as a fearful opponent, he's just facing things that are in reality a hopelessly pathetic resistance. Even the Daleks, which apparently were so mighty that they required the oft mentioned time war to eliminate... well, they just seem comical. If that fairly annoying River Song character (who my GF loves like a sister but I find is over-done and usually uninteresting, like all the bad elements of the Doctor's character with the added whiz-bang squee bits of girl, gun, daughter, girlfriend, and tragic death) can make a Dalek ask for mercy then I really can't taken them seriously, and they're comic relief most of the time anyway. Being dangerous is not the same thing as being threatening.

And maybe if they weren't constantly being Worf-tossed around the series to show how awesome people are they'd appear more legitimately threatening, especially mano e mano. Everything else suffers similarly. The Angels were a clever foe to face the first time but I felt they've suffered some serious villain decay in repeated iterations, and I have to imagine that older fans are sick of this new critter popping up over and over to keep pushing the "creepy" button instead of coming up with a new threat.

Anyway, just my outsider opinion. I'd like more risks of failure, less success in the Doctor's attempts to blow up his foes, and generally more respect for the non-Timelord members of the universe. Right now it feels like the Doctor is a trickster god and the rest of the universe is just a flailing plaything for him.The only things keeping him from realizing are combination of his own irresponsibility and the sense of loss he feels for destroying his own people, despite the fact that he keeps re-destroying them whenever he is presented with a chance to. I really liked seeing the original doctors in that crossover episode where they go to the big black tower and the Dracula-style Master was trying to help, sorta. Those doctors seemed clever and interesting, silly only in the "I have way too much to think about than what you think of me," way that Gandalf does than the modern spastic child aspect. Both are fun but the older ones were respectable too and I could go for one of those again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

While I'll admit that I'm merely a casual watcher, it seemed to me that the Timer Lords were one of the most powerfull being in the universe but few in numbers (relatively speaking), with the Doctor being one of their more powerfull members, while alot of the more iconic enemies weren't as powerfull (again relatively speaking) but had far greater numbers.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

While that may be true, it seems like this is an entirely undeserved level of capability given the way it is presented and handled. Furthermore, the iconic enemies aren't as powerful but they seem frankly incompetent. If one Time Lord with one broken blue box and a screwdriver can essentially end the Universe, bring it back, and casually destroy any foe he faces then how in Xenu's name did a species of these aliens ever face any threat from anyone ever? The idea of him being a crazy man with a box seems pretty much reasonable, but he's so all-over-the-place that individual cases always seem arbitrary. Especially since it's hard to tell what's the real tenor of the show between the comical elements (the Doctor's scanner made out of a lamp, socks, and wooden poles in The Lodger) or the more serious tone brought out by episodes like Family of Blood. Given that they keep going back to "Most Wonderful And Most Feared" themes over and over, what with the idea that "Doctor" now means "Warrior" or worse on alien worlds, I think that the series is confused to the bone about where he stands and would benefit greatly from reigning in the Doctor's abilities instead of letting him run rampant just for fun.

The Family of Blood is actually a good example of some of the strangeness. We're treated to no prequel of the fight showing how the blue box gets so badly threatened that he has to submerge his identity in that of a human and go hide in pre-war Europe as a human. We assume it's something major because he says it's entirely necessary, painful, dangerous, etc. But must be done. He leaves specific but comically incomplete instructions, puts himself and his companion in deadly risk, destroys his own identity and allows the tardis to be captured by a hostile alien force, gets many people killed (including young children) in a very messy and visible alien invasion, and tops it off with an act of horrific, perpetual torture. And why?

Because he, in the Family's words, was being merciful to them. If they're to be believed he was never really in any serious danger, or something, and was never afraid of them in truth. Now, I know the Doctor does dumb things, but this seems so incredibly, needlessly cruel and foolish and selfish that either he's being written as an insane person or sometimes they need to stay a bit more on-message with the writing.

I'm more willing to assume the latter, since it would make perfect sense to me that a show made up of bottle episodes might have some scatterbrained interpretations of someone intentionally designed to be capable of bouncing between jovial and murderous. But given that he also cannot die (in a mostly literal sense as well as in a "no duh the show is named after him and it's been on a billion years" sense) he doesn't seem at threat or at risk of failure in nearly any case on top of being hard to actually understand--and what we do get is that he's gotten more and more selfish AND dark as time goes on, with his 'power' being little more than toys and an encyclopedic knowledge of bafflegab technology.

It's like a show about Q where Q takes Wesley along on wacky adventures, gets him killed constantly, brings him back, bemoans the fact that he killed all the other Q, but then goes off to see Riza's orgy pits before inadvertently unleashing the Borg on everyone. Oopsie daisy!

The show is fun but the character it's named after can literally do just about anything nowadays with little more than a clever bit of language, absolutely ANYTHING he finds, and his screwdriver. In the Lodger, which I mentioned above, a person gets infected with mysterious something X and is cured by tea and garbage instantly without any investigation as to what it was. He's basically unable to fail when he isn't supposed to and while that's fun I feel it's a very timid and uncomplicated form of self-wanking. I enjoy it mostly for the clever monster designs, because it's social with my GF, and it has some occasionally nice moments.