Psychopomps of SDN (RAR)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Psychopomps of SDN (RAR)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes, all members of SDN now gain the ability to know when somoene is going to die, and the ability to act as the conveance to the afterlife (you don't have to wear a hoodie and carry farming impliments but yes you are now a fully functional psychopomp living in both our world and the afterlife.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Psychopomps of SDN (RAR)

Post by Ahriman238 »

So I have a time consuming, possibly dangerous new job that will be thoroughly unappreciated by the people I help.

Sure sounds like teaching in an urban school to me. Might be worth it for the ability to seriously freak people out.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I high tail it down to Florida to be the first one to claim the million dollar cash prize from Randy and resulting book deals and media appearances, after my money is made I start shopping for life insurance polices and new significant others.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I gnore it to the best of my ability and continue superheroing as I used to?

Seriously, why would anyone who actually has a choice want...nevermind, be stupid enough to take that job?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

So do I have to report to a god (a la Azrael or Gabriel) or am I myself a god (a la Hermes or Anubis)?
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
The Yosemite Bear

Well you do get in-betweener status, but than again so do cats, ravens, black dogs, scarab beetles, etc. than again as an official "Grim Reaper" you do get the ability to communicate with all the animal in-betweeners too....

you are not a god, nor do you have to report to a god, your a grim reaper, charon, also you get to choose where your dropping these souls off at too....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Again, I retake up my life as usual, and all those souls can get lost? Sorry Bear but you have yet to present me with any reason why I would bother.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Yosemite Bear

well as you associate Constintine would say its not something that you choose it's something thrust upon you. oh and you get to visit your parents

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I fuck up the system. The new rule of Death is Sic Semper Tyrannis...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Psychopomps traditionally have supernatural awareness of the essential nature and past history of their charges, so...

Take advantage of the unprecedented opportunities for yelling at people who screw things up for the rest of us.

The rich bastard psychopaths, the idiot manchildren, the slimy scammers in high office, the fools and knaves and... you get the idea.

We could have a nice civilization if not for- *CRASH*

[looks angrily at someone]

"This is why we can't have nice things!"

Also, take advantage of the unprecedented oportunities for plaudits to people who basically tried to live a life that did good, or at least no harm, and weren't remarked on too much for it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Would the status of in-betweener allow me to talk with the long dead or only with the recently deceased that still linger on the living side?

Could I talk to Hannibal or Buddha? Or am I limited to Joe Average who died in car crash five minutes ago?

Also, do Valkyries or other legendary female in-betweeners exist?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Mr Bean wrote:I high tail it down to Florida to be the first one to claim the million dollar cash prize from Randy and resulting book deals and media appearances, after my money is made I start shopping for life insurance polices and new significant others.
How exactly would you prove your supernatural abilities? "Knowing when someone is going to die" is rather vague. There would have to be some flashy display of powers included in the send-off function.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Batman wrote:Ignore it to the best of my ability and continue superheroing as I used to?

Seriously, why would anyone who actually has a choice want...nevermind, be stupid enough to take that job?
Wouldn't the supernatural ability to know when people are going to die help you do stuff like... oh I don't know STOP THE FRIGGIN JOKER FROM KILLING PEOPLE??!!

Okay, shouldn't have yelled but still if Joker tap-dances out of Arkham Asylum for the twelfth time in a week (on a tuesday) and you suddenly get the premonition that someone is going to die from an exploding whoopie cushion then that might help you track down where the crime takes place and then lock up the Joker faster than you would normally. Even if you can't prevent deaths that you forsee, it could speed up your work to the point that each escaped bad guy can only kill one person (at the most) before you toss them back into the cardboard prison that Gotham normally puts the humanoid abominations you have to deal with.

Or who knows, if you suddenly get a better understanding of what happens to people in the afterlife and manipulate their journey or whatever then you could just kill the Joker and shove his soul into some inescapable Limbo so he doesn't came back from the dead as often as he does right now.

Or you might be able to visit your parents, or when an innocent person gets killed try exploiting your new position as grim reaper to let them live long enough to settle their affairs or live on as zombies or whatever.

Or magically be able to determine just how much you can beat up bad guys without breaking your rule.

Joker: Oh I love shootin' innocents! Oh I love shootin' innocents! *fires a gun into a crowd, hitting several people*

*suddenly the batmobile burst onto the scene, runs over the Joker, and pins him into a brick wall*

Joker: Oh my god! My torso is completely gone!

Batman: Don't worry, you'll live.

Joker: Live?! There's blood coming out of my eye sockets!

Batman: No seriously, I'm the Grim Reaper now. If you were in any danger of dying, I'd know.

*Batman turns to all the wounded civilians and pulls out a big parchment*

Batman: Okay, you'll live. You too. *scribbles out a name or two on the list* You two will live if you get to a hospital (I already called for an ambulance when foresaw the Jokers attack), and you I'm afraid are going to die but as long as you don't reconcile with your parents death you can live on as some kind of vengeful spirit or whatever *hands the man a card* here's Dr. Fates number, give him a call if you hear any voices of the dammed and if you're looking for work then Batman Inc is still looking for potential sidekicks who aren't likely to die.

*Batman gets back into his car and drives off with Joker jammed in the front bumper*

Joker: Why won't I diee...

Batman: I ask that every day.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry