OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Woman goes on sunlight-only diet

Post by fgalkin »

...with predictable results

Link
Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger reports that a woman starved to death after embarking on a spiritual diet that required her to stop eating or drinking and live off sunlight alone.

The Zurich newspaper reported Wednesday that the unnamed Swiss woman in her fifties decided to follow the radical fast in 2010 after viewing an Austrian documentary about an Indian guru who claims to have lived this way for 70 years.

Tages-Anzeiger says there have been similar cases of self-starvation in Germany, Britain and Australia.

The prosecutors' office in the Swiss canton (state) of Aargau confirmed Wednesday that the woman died in January 2011 in the town of Wolfhalden in eastern Switzerland.

WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT? DO THE MATH

Spokeswoman Jennifer Rissi says prosecutors haven't opened a criminal investigation over the woman's death.
I think we may have found this year's Darwin Award winner.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Re: Woman goes on sunlight-only diet

Post by Lancer »

Walking on sunshine, she most definitely was not.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Obviously some sceptic slipped in a source of kryptonite, where the kryptonite radiation forced the yellow sunlight from her cells leading to her current state. Oh wait, thats Superman who gets "high on the Earth's yellow sun. Humans have to actually eat. Silly me.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's amazing though that she managed to essentially will herself to die.

While starving yourself to death is quite possible and has been done before, it still takes lots of willpower to do so. It says a lot about the power of the mind.

...although not in a way all those quacks would like :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

This reminds me of Jasmuheen, the main figurehead for this whole "living on light" thing. Despite all her bluster about how she'd lived on nothing but sunlight for decades, when they tried filming her 24/7 for a documentary she only lasted four days before her condition deteriorated to the point where she had to be hospitalised.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

DaveJB wrote:This reminds me of Jasmuheen, the main figurehead for this whole "living on light" thing. Despite all her bluster about how she'd lived on nothing but sunlight for decades, when they tried filming her 24/7 for a documentary she only lasted four days before her condition deteriorated to the point where she had to be hospitalised.
I've seen that smug sack of crap in interviews before, going on about she only eats 'because she likes the taste of food'. I read this thread headline and REALLY hoped it was her.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

On that matter:

(okay, technically on a different person doing so, but eh).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Vashon
Youngling

Post by Vashon »

Social Darwinism-Applies to everybody, like it or not.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Wasn't there an indian guru found raping a refridgerator during a controlled study which was supposed to prove he can live without food?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Funny how "humans need food" is one of those things we can say with absolute certainty, but some people keep acting as if it can be overcome despite humans not posessing any of the chemical tools necessary to photosynthesize sugar (we can syntheisze vitamin D, though, which is awesome all by itself...)

If it was possible for a human to life off sunlight (and retain full physical capacity), then the first group which figured it out would quickly dominate everybody else, because...they wouldn't need any food.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

PeZook wrote:If it was possible for a human to life off sunlight (and retain full physical capacity), then the first group which figured it out would quickly dominate everybody else, because...they wouldn't need any food.
This. Even David Blaine slowly gets thinner every time he locks himself in a transparent cube for 2 months.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

When I was a kid, I watched a documentary in which a Wudang temple master claimed to have discovered the secret to living forever. He would simply eat very little, and stay in good physical condition, and figured that, so long as nothing violent happened to him, there would be no reason for him to die. I actually considered following in his footsteps. Fortunately, my parents convinced me otherwise.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Stop eating and you die... go figure. Not really interested compared to this austrian fuckwit that claims to have done it for 70 years.
Apparantly some people can be so monumentally dense that if someone said you could breath underwater you would have a rash of people drowning.

Who is this magical guru... why do these idiots not get publicly shamed into being full of shit by taking them to task on their garbage.

You claim you can live on sunshine... heres a camera... prove it then we will talk otherwise fuck off and if anyone dies because you spread this bullshit your the one that takes the blame. Then again... why not weed out the morons that would fall for it.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Apparantly some people can be so monumentally dense that if someone said you could breath underwater you would have a rash of people drowning.

Who is this magical guru... why do these idiots not get publicly shamed into being full of shit by taking them to task on their garbage.
Probably because society is dominated by people who believe things just as illogical, if not usually as fatal. People are taught from birth to believe priests, preachers and gurus, and to not apply logic to their beliefs. The same habits of thought that leads people to buy into all the nonsense in mainstream religions leads them to buy into the nonsense pushed by ;less mainstream movements like this one. And it also means people are afraid to point out how illogical and baseless claims like "living on sunlight" are, because they don't want the same standards applied to their equally illogical and baseless religion.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Luke Skywalker wrote:When I was a kid, I watched a documentary in which a Wudang temple master claimed to have discovered the secret to living forever. He would simply eat very little, and stay in good physical condition, and figured that, so long as nothing violent happened to him, there would be no reason for him to die. I actually considered following in his footsteps. Fortunately, my parents convinced me otherwise.
You could certainly live a long time that way- good physical condition helps enormously, and as long as you're not actively suffering malnutrition eating relatively little is a good idea too. Avoiding violence is smart too if you want to live a long time- because even if you win fights, you get injured, which hurts your long term health.

But you won't be immortal. Just old and in relatively good shape for someone of such immense oldness.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

umm, experiments on mice with starvation level diets show something like a threefold increase in longevity:

could be the wudang master has pulled it off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Living three times longer than normal still isn't "immortal".

If you want to restrict your own intake within sane limits it likely will make your healthier and it could lead to a good long life - but "sane limits" include sufficient calories to maintain vital processes and sufficient nutrients for good health/warding off malnutrition. That requires a certain amount of eating.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

all i have to do is live long enough for the singularity to shine out of my arse, and medical problems will be solved as fast as they are discovered...

an extra hundred years or so is more then most people can imagine now anyway.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Mice are inherently short-lived: their evolutionary strategy revolves around breeding quickly, not living long.

It's doubtful that humans would benefit as much from this sort of thing, or we would have noticed. It's not like there haven't been plenty of times and places where people don't get enough to eat, and there's a real shortage of 200 year old men around.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's not just calorie-restriction alone that does the trick, it's calorie restriction done in a manner that supplies sufficient nutrients for optimum health while restricting calories severely. All too often during times of famine there is also malnutrition, which would tend to counter-act the life-lengthening of less calories. The life-extending can only be done when there is also high quality food available. It also needs to be in effect over a considerable period of the lifespan.

And yes, it's possible humans would benefit less than some other species. We already live abnormally long for what we are. Based on normal life cycles of closely related mammals we should be expiring somewhere between 30 and 50, yet humans routinely live to 70-80, and it's not unheard of for lives to be measured in triple digits even if that's not common.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice