Overheating Laptop, & Desk Damage Help

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Overheating Laptop, & Desk Damage Help

Post by JME2 »

So I've got a problem that I wanted to run by the other board members.

I've been having issues with my laptop overheating which I've nearly solved; a new battery should be arriving today.

As I was pullung the charger plug this morning -- my computer is on a stand -- I noticed spots where it looks like the varnish has melted on the desk surface. This has been due to an old WD external drive (with the exhaust vent facing down) and the power cord lying after being unplugged.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed. As varnish is essentially a resin/wood oil combination, do I need to wory about any kind of damage or contamination? I know it'll need to be repaired professionally -- when I can afford it -- but what's the best recommendation for cleaning it up?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: Overheating Laptop, & Desk Damage Help

Post by Dominus Atheos »

You should be able to just sandpaper it off yourself and then reapply wood varnish you bought from a hardware store.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

It's nothing to worry about. Really, truly honestly.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'd be more worried about the fact that your external hard drive is running hot enough to melt varnish with its fan exhaust, frankly.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Zaune wrote:I'd be more worried about the fact that your external hard drive is running hot enough to melt varnish with its fan exhaust, frankly.
That, though it could be a combination of cheap varnish and cheap hard drive.

That then implies that it's probably a cheap desk, and the cheapskate in me wonders why you care about the desk. I mean, desks are meant to be worked upon, get ink bleed-through and pencil marks on them, have drinks spilled on them, attract soldering iron burns, and generally look less nice when you burn them in the fireplace for heat than the day you got them. :P
I mean, I have a desk with chips in the paint, a table with cracks in it, and a futon with burn marks on it. I definitely could replace all that in fairly short order, but I see no need to.

Were you planning to sell it soon? Is there someone coming over that's going to care what your home work desk looks like? Ever?
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

JME2 has issues with OCD, so tends to get anxious about tracking contaminants around his living area.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Dalton wrote:JME2 has issues with OCD, so tends to get anxious about tracking contaminants around his living area.
Well, at least I'm handling this one pretty well. I haven't stripped the desk down or blasted it with Lysol.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Good, because lysol would do nothing against the hydrocarbon toxins in varnish anyway. If the stuff melted, the only time it was a worry was when it was melting and giving off slight bits of fumes. This is less threat to your health I'd reckon then walking down a typical city street. Actually it might be less of a health threat then the fire retardants they use in certain baby seats.

If you've got loose bits of varnish or rough spots, sand it down, wipe it down with a wet rag to collect the dust and its good. You can revarnish if you want though personally, unless you feel like refinishing he whole desk odds are it won't look right so its a bit pointless if you could just get away with putting some kind of insulation under the hard drive that will hide it.

Also what Zaune said, that is one hot hard drive.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guys, thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I suppose the overkill method would be to get some mortar, grout, and ceramic tiles and tile the desk surface.

That won't burn anymore... ever. My dad loved his tiled workspace at our old house. No solder burns, no chemical stains, easy to clean, etc.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i've done that before. Currently using a sheet of roofing steel instead.

Especially good for heatsinking the solder iron or hot glue gun if i drop it. Also really good at ruining scalpel blades, so i then need an mdf matt on the steel for cutting, taking me back to square one really.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

madd0ct0r wrote:Also really good at ruining scalpel blades, so i then need an mdf matt on the steel for cutting, taking me back to square one really.
If you're cutting something with a scalpel without a soft protective mat underneath, you deserve every ruined blade you get... :lol:
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.