Crossroads Presents, under-appreciated animation

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Crossroads Presents, under-appreciated animation

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So recently, on my trips through the internet and youtube, I discovered two amazing works of art.
And believe me when I use the terms works of "ART"
The first is a uncompleted masterwork started in 1964 by Richard Williams titled The Thief and the Cobbler.
The movie was to be Williams masterpiece, but it's ambitious scope and expensive production cause it to drag on for almost 30years.
Finally in 1993 an "Edited" version was put out using much of the original work. However in order to make it "marketable" much was changed, voices and songs were added which ruined the over all mood and original purpose of the piece.
Some time later a "pure" version was put out utilizing unfinished animation, sketches, and test plates to create a finished work.
Even full of unfinished parts the movie is a true masterwork and should be enjoyed.

EDIT: there is an even more "unfinished" version that has less colored scenes, however hasMUCH HIgher levels of detail. The above youtube movie has very low quality in places:

The second movie is more modern and called "The Secret of Kells which is loosely based off the history of The Book of Kells. The film was produced in 2009 by a company in Ireland and was received with stunning accolades on it's animation style. The Animation style is a curious "flat" look to it that reflects the 8th century artwork of the time it is based in. For those that know of the real "Book of Kells" the animation captures the art work in stunning detail.
The movie did not due well in the states however for a number of reason. From the previews, many went expecting some sort of fantasy movie full of magic and fighting and weren't aware that much of what they watched was {if loosely} based on real history.

Curiously there is a tie between the two movies (which is part of why I posted these two together) one of the head animators, Tomm Moore had watched much of "The Thief and the Cobbler" and was inspired by the animation style which reflected Ancient Middle Eastern art, and wished to do a similar movie using Ancient Irish Art styles.
Last edited by Crossroads Inc. on 2012-04-11 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Crossroads Presents, under-appreciated animation

Post by Executor32 »

For Netflix members, The Secret of Kells is also available to watch instantly, if (like me) you'd prefer to watch it there rather than Youtube.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ah... Speaking of "Masterworks"
Thank you very much for that Fgalkin, I had not seen that in ages.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

And now for some more for the New Week...

This week I bring two by famous French animator René Laloux.
Laloux rose to prominence doing a host of trippy and unworldly short animated films. He first started drawing while working at a psychiatric institution, which some say influenced his Surreal style.

The first movie he produced was "Fantastic Planet"
A movie based on a 1953 French novel Oms en série. The story is set in the far future, where the remnants of Humanity have become "Pets" to a race of Giants on a world where Humans are the size of dolls, and everything around them is hostile and dangerous. The story follows the life of "Terr" who, through an accident, becomes "educated" in the ways of his masters. Knowing their science, language, and culture, he goes off in search of the "Wild" humans to teach them as well. The story of the movie is rather straight forward. But the Visualizes are incredibly stunning and surreal. Bizzare creatures that defy explanation crop up at all times, and even just walking across the planets surface is filled with unworldly backgrounds.

The second movie was produced a few years later, and this time, help animating it came from French comic genius Jean Giraud, Also known as Mœbius. The second movie, titled " The Masters of Time" was less well known and had a more traditional animation style . The story follows a young boy who is trapped on a desert world after his parents are killed by bug like creatures. The only help is more then a month away, but the boy has a special newly developed radio that allows him to communicate instantly with his rescuers despite being lightyears away. Along the way they pick up an old man who is friends with the ship captain and seems to know a great deal about the planet the boy is trapped. He says he spent time on it, but doesn't really remember when. Throughout the movie the old man saves the life of the boy several times by giving vital information about dangerous parts.
The ending to the movie is a wonderful plot twist that I shall not spoil, but Invite others to watch.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!