Darth Maul vs General Grievous

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Darth Maul vs General Grievous

Post by Luke Skywalker »

After years of arcane sorcery and constant experimentation, the Dark Lord of the Sith is brought back from the reactor chute by an unknown individual. As a test, Darth Maul must confront General Grievous in single combat, in the same location that he fought Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi.

vs

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Darth Maul vs General Grievous

Post by Adam Reynolds »

This has been done:http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72572

Though interestingly, if Maul comes back in this new series, this fight could actually occur.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Spoilers below

Though it really shouldn't be a spoiler to anybody by now

He came back already, he fought Obi-Wan and Ventress, and beat them. They escaped of course but he had his brother Savage's help.

The season 4 finale is a cliffhanger on whats going to come next
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Even Clone Wars, where Grievous is actually outrageously strong and not just Snidely Whiplash, made it clear that against a calm, prepared Jedi, Grievous would probably lose. Dooku says something like 'you have to use fear and intimidation to get them off balance, then you can win'. That's not going to be a great plan for dealing with Darth 'Fear is my ally' Maul.

Going by the actual film Grievous is totally useless and spends most of his time running away.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ford Prefect wrote:Darth 'Fear is my ally' Maul.
Damnit... Maul was absolutely wasted.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Ford Prefect wrote:Even Clone Wars, where Grievous is actually outrageously strong and not just Snidely Whiplash, made it clear that against a calm, prepared Jedi, Grievous would probably lose. Dooku says something like 'you have to use fear and intimidation to get them off balance, then you can win'. That's not going to be a great plan for dealing with Darth 'Fear is my ally' Maul.

Going by the actual film Grievous is totally useless and spends most of his time running away.
Grievous in the Tartakovsky shorts can dodge Force blasts and resist Force-amplified screams that send an entire battalion of droids flying. He can take on several Jedi at once and still be on top of the fight. Fear and intimidation surely play a part in his style but there's also a lot of genuine skill behind it and let's not forget that this version of Grievous is fiercely determined and tenacious in the pursuit of his objectives, unlike the limp-dicked wuss of the 3D series and the movie.

It's not surprising that the only Jedi who could lay a hand on this Grievous in serious combat was God-Mode Windu. I don't think TPM Maul could repeat that feat.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Havok wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Darth 'Fear is my ally' Maul.
Damnit... Maul was absolutely wasted.
I agree. I remember back before TPM, but when no details touched had been touched upon, there was speculation that Maul would be the primary antagonist for Obi-wan through-out the prequels. To the point that Obi-wan's obsession with Maul for killing Qui-Gonn would interfere with Anakin's training/development and that tunnel vision would help leave Anakin open to other influences. And that residue of guilt for allowing revenge to drive him during the Clone Wars would be one of the reasons Obi-wan stayed on a backwater planet with Luke as well as his perfect willingness to sacrifice himself when escaping the Death Star. Could have been interesting if written well. Instead Maul got dropped down a hole.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Kreller1
Youngling

Post by Kreller1 »

Judging by what we see in the movies (I ignore the EU) Maul would wipe the floor with Grievous.
"Your faith in the permanence of universal laws and the consistent nature of the universe should stand as a glowing example to believers everywhere." ~Sela
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Metahive wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Even Clone Wars, where Grievous is actually outrageously strong and not just Snidely Whiplash, made it clear that against a calm, prepared Jedi, Grievous would probably lose. Dooku says something like 'you have to use fear and intimidation to get them off balance, then you can win'. That's not going to be a great plan for dealing with Darth 'Fear is my ally' Maul.

Grievous in the Tartakovsky shorts can dodge Force blasts and resist Force-amplified screams that send an entire battalion of droids flying. He can take on several Jedi at once and still be on top of the fight. Fear and intimidation surely play a part in his style but there's also a lot of genuine skill behind it and let's not forget that this version of Grievous is fiercely determined and tenacious in the pursuit of his objectives, unlike the limp-dicked wuss of the 3D series and the movie.

It's not surprising that the only Jedi who could lay a hand on this Grievous in serious combat was God-Mode Windu. I don't think TPM Maul could repeat that feat.
The CW cartoons are openly admitted by their creators to be heavily exaggerated in order to please a younger audience. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it has been completely retconned as being an in universe children's show. I mean, otherwise, Mace Windu would have wiped clean not only the Geonosis arena, but the entire damn CIS army, unarmed, blindfolded and with a broken rib. He then would have used the TF core ships as relativistic projectiles to destroy the entire Seperatist fleet.