I lost my dad tonight.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Steve
Emperor's Hand

I lost my dad tonight.

Post by Steve »

My father died at around 10PM EST tonight due to complications arising from pneumonia in both lungs. I wasn't there at the time - he had asked me to go on home and he'd talk to me later. 20 minutes after 10 I called to wish him goodnight, not knowing he was already gone.

About 1:20AM, the hospital called me, saying only that his situation was "critical" and the physician needed to see me. I raced as quickly as I could to the hospital, not knowing it was moot. I was informed when I got there. I spent over an hour saying goodbyes while I alerted family to what had happened.

I... don't know what I'm going to do. My world's fallen apart. He was everything to me, gave up so much to try and make sure my brother and I were in good homes and doing well. He worked and worked and worked trying to keep us steady.

Now he's gone. And I'm.... not sure of anything.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: I lost my dad tonight.

Post by Thanas »

My condolences.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

My sincerest condolences.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

My condolences. I can't imagine losing my dad, (I'm 22) It sounds like yours was a fine human being, and raised you well. In a way, those good memories and experiences with him will mean that he lives on in the way you and your brother live and interact with others.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
koputusx
Redshirt

Post by koputusx »

My condolences
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

You have my condolences.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm sorry this happened.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Steve, I feel for you. This is going to hurt. Call your family. Call your friends. Take care of yourself.

If you need to talk, let me know.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My condolences. May he rest in peace.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm so sorry, Steve. You have my condolences.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

My condolences.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Damn, this sucks so much, I don't really know what to say. You have my sympathies.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Sorry to read this, you have my condolences. Seek comfort in your friends and family, and remember that your father would want you to overcome this.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

You have my condolences. If you need to talk to someone, I am here.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

You have my condolences, naturally. Such threads are always sad to see. I wish I could offer more than words, but I can't.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

You have my commiserations.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Bad luck mate. Condolences.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Damn, Steve, my condolences.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

That is terrible news... my condolences to you and your family Steve...
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I'm so sorry, Steve. My thoughts are with you.
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Very sorry to hear it. RIP
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'm sorry Steve. You have my condolences.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You have my condolences, you know that.

As to your world falling apart, I know it is cliche, but stay strong. You are going to make it through this difficult time and when you come out the other side, things will look better.
People die in our lives, but you have to go on living your life the best you can. I'm sure you Dad would want you to stay positive and stay focused on your goals.

Hang in there bud.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'd like to thank you all for your condolences and wishes. These first few days without my father in my life have been painful, but the world is still spinning after all. I'm trying to reassemble the pieces as I go along (and convince my supervisor I'm not a breakdown waiting to happen, heh).

Thanks again for your support.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Steve wrote:I'd like to thank you all for your condolences and wishes. These first few days without my father in my life have been painful, but the world is still spinning after all. I'm trying to reassemble the pieces as I go along (and convince my supervisor I'm not a breakdown waiting to happen, heh).

Thanks again for your support.
Sorry Steve I don't want to see you suffering. but if you have to grieve you, you should. your dad is an important part of who you are, and losing him so suddenly is a lot to deal with. it sounds like you have a lot of support from your family and friends, and I'm not even surprised, you've always been a great guy on this site. You'll get through this in time, and in the meantime you have my sincere condolences. :( :( [youtube][/youtube]

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok