Dammit, I'm going to have to buy this book, aren't I?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Dammit, I'm going to have to buy this book, aren't I?

Post by Anguirus »

http://io9.com/5889747/breathtaking-art ... -star-wars

Every time I think I'm "out" of Star Wars, someone's gotta suck me back in with a promising book.

I actually look forward to an attempt to synthesize all of the mind-contorting contradictions that were wrestled around on this site way back when (well maybe it still does, I haven't been checking out his forum in awhile). What I don't look forward to are stupid decrees about there only being a million clone troops...for god's sake, that number even showed up in the otherwise enjoyable Darth Plagueis.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Dammit, I'm going to have to buy this book, aren't I?

Post by Eleas »

Anguirus wrote:http://io9.com/5889747/breathtaking-art ... -star-wars

Every time I think I'm "out" of Star Wars, someone's gotta suck me back in with a promising book.

I actually look forward to an attempt to synthesize all of the mind-contorting contradictions that were wrestled around on this site way back when (well maybe it still does, I haven't been checking out his forum in awhile). What I don't look forward to are stupid decrees about there only being a million clone troops...for god's sake, that number even showed up in the otherwise enjoyable Darth Plagueis.
Amusing to see Elim Garak trolling the comments. Man, it's like stepping back in time.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Well I can't exactly argue with this:
Let alone what weaponry of that level would do on a planetary surface. SW ground combat seems to use 19th century war tactics (at least in the prequels) - a bunch of people all stand up and run in one direction, while the other side stand up and run towards them. They all fire and die. By WWI everybody already realized that trenches are good - yet these guys apparently have not.
This alone annoys me so much that I've hardly watched Clone Wars.

But yeah, it's totally really funny that he started immediately yelling about gigatons apropos of nothing.

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well, I can tell you that the artwork should be interesting for this book :P.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think it simply falls down to genre conventions. Nobody wants to give up dramatic close-quarter fights with valiantly Jedi, so the disparity between what should and does happen in space and what is going on on the ground is rather large.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

And someone else bought up the Parsec thing again.

It's clear in Rebel Dawn that he managed to shave some distance off the Kessel run (by getting even closer to the black holes) whilst running from the imperials.

Sorry, it's one of my pet hates "Lol Lucas / Han Solo don't know what a parsec is"
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Anguirus wrote:.for god's sake, that number even showed up in the otherwise enjoyable Darth Plagueis.
That is one thing about Luceno that is slightly annoying, his tendency to by a hyper inclusionist to the point of including elements from the EU that detract from his stories in that it becomes almost difficult to read due to the large number of references to other things without context.

On another note, is this the first canon example of female stormtroopers?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Anguirus wrote:http://io9.com/5889747/breathtaking-art ... -star-wars

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Frankly, compared to some the other art related books this looks really amateurish.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Maybe, but some of it seems pretty good in general. Hardly crap.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

fordlltwm wrote:And someone else bought up the Parsec thing again.

It's clear in Rebel Dawn that he managed to shave some distance off the Kessel run (by getting even closer to the black holes) whilst running from the imperials.

Sorry, it's one of my pet hates "Lol Lucas / Han Solo don't know what a parsec is"
Actually, I always liked the "Han Solo is trying to impress Obi-Wan with technobabble" explanation more. Unfortunately the EU can't leave anything unanswered, so we got that stupid Kessel run malarkey. IMHO Han was supposed to come across as very
shady, who only in the end became a hero. Of course the spceial edition kills that by changing the order in which the shots are fired (you know what I am talking about) and making him somewhat more heroic on the Death Star.

And I almost added "meaningless" in front of technobbable before I caught myself. :lol:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

New images have been posted.

I gotta say, I love seeing another rendition of Luke vs. Shimrra.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Wow, this book took a while to come out. I remember this being mentioned as one of Karen Traviss's upcoming projects, back whe she was still with the franchise.

Any way, the art does look gorgeous.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

That last image is totally droolworthy. Who says the "tech-head" fans have no influence on the franchise?

Although Kinect Star Wars looks so freaking bad that I'm tempted to drop the whole brand in retaliation. :lol

-Tanasinn
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

fordlltwm wrote:And someone else bought up the Parsec thing again.

Ugh, why not go with the "Han tries to bullshit two people he considers country bumpkins" -explanation that doesn't sound like stupid fanwank and is even supported by the script?

Sorry, but that's one of MY pet peeves.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The art, aside from Fractalsponge's entry and the meeting of the rebels ( el oh el at the moron painting a supposedly new X-wing to look like it just got lifted from Dagobah's swamp ) is amateurish at best and down right bad in few cases.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

The Altor-class seems to be getting a fair-share of press. Maybe they like the boom-arms, I'm sure that that would look very interesting to animate in motion. It's certainly more action than most Star Wars capital ships ever display.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I, personally, am rather amused that Death Squadron apparently has Bellators :p (p. 165).
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Havok wrote:The art, aside from Fractalsponge's entry and the meeting of the rebels ( el oh el at the moron painting a supposedly new X-wing to look like it just got lifted from Dagobah's swamp ) is amateurish at best and down right bad in few cases.
Yeah, I remain really unimpressed overall. Of the new batch, the only image I actually like is that Star Destroyer commissioning image, and only because of the framing against the clouds.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

I had the chance to skim through the book recently while I was at the bookstore. There are interesting tidbits but I'm afraid it's not detailed or new enough for me pay money for it at this moment. My problem with the book is that it is light on "warfare" and heavy on "guide". I was hoping for something remotely resembling wikipedia articles on battles with opposing commanders, dispositions, numbers, formations, objectives, historical background, etc. What is present are anecdotes and historical surveys.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I'm worried because the second author may be connected with Thrawn McEwok (he uses the psuedonymn Paul Uruqhart is from scottland and references being mistaken for an ewok).
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Darth Yan wrote:I'm worried because the second author may be connected with Thrawn McEwok (he uses the psuedonymn Paul Uruqhart is from scottland and references being mistaken for an ewok).
The second author very likely is McEwok. Source
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I just hope that he's either matured or that Fry keeps him on a tight leash.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Pardon the stupid question- Based on one of the illustrations, when did the Empire start using female Storm Troopers?
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
PilotEwok
Redshirt

Post by PilotEwok »

One of the original artists has posted a few of his works from the book on his deviantart if anyone is interested.

http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/gallery/