What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by weemadando »

OK I wrapped up Mass Casualties and was impressed, it's an excellent book if you want to get a soldier's eye view of how dysfunctional military life in Iraq could get. I'd be interested in hearing rebuttals/fallout from it as some events portrayed are remarkably shitty.

Then I did Aquariums of Pyongyang - Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag which is the autobiography of Chol Hwan-Kang who was sent to the gulags with the rest of his family at age 9. It's an interesting read, but nothing particularly revelatory if you're at all familiar with North Korea.

And now I'm on Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns, which seems to be a meticulous history of the region from 1994 onwards. It's equal parts fascinating and horrific, but without a doubt one of the best history books I've read recently as it is scrupulously impartial thus far. I've learned more in the first hundred pages of this book than I ever have from docos or newspaper/magazine reports.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Guardsman Bass wrote:How's A Princess of Mars? I got that for free for Kindle, too, and read a couple of pages into it before going to another book. It wasn't bad, so I'll probably go back to it later.
I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm expecting classic sci-fi, which may seem a bit goofy in this day and age.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

just finished St. Titrians the complete appaling mess.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Dalton wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:How's A Princess of Mars? I got that for free for Kindle, too, and read a couple of pages into it before going to another book. It wasn't bad, so I'll probably go back to it later.
I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm expecting classic sci-fi, which may seem a bit goofy in this day and age.
All four of the John Carter series are available on Project Gutenberg for free, they are most definitely goofy and cheesy in the way classic scifi can only be.
I highly recommend the Lensmen series as a follow up in the same vein.

Just finished the Void Trilogy, couple of frebies from Amazon UK kindle store to go through - Apocalypse Earth and Vampyre Apocalypse - no high expectations but then they were free.
And then on to A Rising Thunder ... yes I know it's Honor Harrington .... what can I say? its a guilty pleasure.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I've finished the main Dresden series today. Just have Side Jobs to finish.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Hey folks, the Kindle edition of Anathem is on sale for $2 for a limited time.
To Absent Friends

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Dalton wrote:Hey folks, the Kindle edition of Anathem is on sale for $2 for a limited time.
OK, that's motivating as I don't have to lug around an 800p hardcover tome from teh library if I want to read it.

Except, oh wait:

This title is not available for customers from:
Australia

God. I love this "connected world" in which we live.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Just finished The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation, by Jon Gertner. It's an interesting read that mostly concentrates on some of the more accomplished sons of the labs and the products, inventions and innovations they made (along with a few missteps along the way).
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

In my latest hop on a band wagon I started reading The Hunger Games, in preparation for reading it this weekend at the cinema. I've saw meme's criticising people reading it because of the movie. They can stick it up their well padded ass, anything that gets young people reading can only be a good thing.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Lord Pounder wrote:In my latest hop on a band wagon I started reading The Hunger Games, in preparation for reading it this weekend at the cinema. I've saw meme's criticising people reading it because of the movie. They can stick it up their well padded ass, anything that gets young people reading can only be a good thing.
Twilight
To Absent Friends

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Dalton wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:In my latest hop on a band wagon I started reading The Hunger Games, in preparation for reading it this weekend at the cinema. I've saw meme's criticising people reading it because of the movie. They can stick it up their well padded ass, anything that gets young people reading can only be a good thing.
Twilight
I never did read twilight, but my girlfriend tells me it's not as bad as was made out and they were actually a vast improvement on the movies.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Just finished Black Lotus, the sixth book in the Sano Ichiro series.

This has the largest time-skip of the series so far, picking up 2 years later instead of several weeks or months as with the other books. Nice to see a change in the status quo, with the birth of Reiko and Sano's son, Masahiro, as well as Sano and Chamberlain Yanagisawa having buried the hatchet (more or less) since The Samurai's Wife. The plot of Sano and Reiko going up against a cult is new for the series and was probably influenced by the then-recent Tokyo subway attacks.
Crateria
Padawan Learner

Post by Crateria »

I've just finished Orwell's Homage to Catalonia and I must say that it was an excellent read.

I am currently reading Kings of Infinite Space and The Devil's Waltz.
Damn you know it. You so smart you brought up like history and shit. Laying down facts like you was a blues clues episode or something. How you get so smart? Like the puns and shit you use are wicked smart, Red Letter Moron! HAHAHAHAH!1 Fucks that is funny, you like should be on TV with Jeff Dunham and shit.-emersonlakeandbalmer
God is like the strict dad while Satan is the cool uncle who gives you weed. However sometimes he'll be a dick and turn you in.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Finished A Rising Thunder, already since read Stanislaw Lems rather boring Solaris, Dan Worths Exiles & Renegades, Neal Stephenson The Diamond Age, Greg Bear Hull Zero Three, Stephen King Under The Dome and Charles Stross Glasshouse.
Currently reading Alistair Reynolds Blue Remembered Earth.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

My weird shit NSFW
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Powering my way through A Princess of Mars. Interesting classic.
To Absent Friends

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Hmmm, well I think I mentioned somewhere I now have a big pile of Guard stories from PTerry to go through (I started with the stand alones)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I finished Star Trek Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman.

What did you think of Under the Dome?
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

I rather liked it, although it did lose some of its punch when the antagonists were revealed.
Kept thinking there's no way this could happen in any other smalltown america ... until about halfway through then I realised that it had been chosen deliberately and everyone was fucked.
On the whole a return to form for King, although I still harbour resentment over the abomination that was the final book in the Dark Tower series ....

My weird shit NSFW
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

"Void Hunter" WH40K by Adrien Dembsky Bowden,
And a bunch of articles/seminars. And started the new "Gotrek & Felix: Anthology", then I plan to buy a copy of "Blue Remembered Earth" by Alastair Reynolds.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Waded through a whole bunch of free kindle books from Amazon UK

Evermore Trilogy
Belarian Initiative
Apocalypse Earth
Vampire Apocalypse
Ice Caves of Mars
Lycandroid
Crystal Ruins
The Pleasure Tube
It's Always Spring Break Somewhere in the Galaxy
Acsension Conspiracy

.... in short don't. There just isn't enough brain bleach in the world to cope with this awful crap even if they are free.

On the flip side -

Voidhawk Jason Halstead - described as Spelljammer in space.
Brainstorm Gordon Kessler

and a couple of gems I highly recommend -

Heroine Addiction Jennifer Matarese - five years after burning her spandex costume and geting a real job Vera Noble gets dragged back into the world of superheroing.
Turing Evolved David Kitson - what do you do when the original Turing test doesn't cut the mustard anymore?

These may have been free for a limited time and I got lucky but they're still worth getting.

Also read The Complete Sherlock Holmes and currently reading Saturn's Children Charles Stross.

Just found out there's a new Laundry novel coming from Stross - The Apocalypse Codex but it's not out until 19th July :cry:
I didn't think there was going to ever be another Laundry novel, the trilogy seemed quite rounded off with the ending of The Fuller Memorandum but it seems Stross had other ideas ... so someone please invent a time machine I don't think I can take the strain of having to wait two whole months!

My weird shit NSFW
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Adrian Dembsky Bowden: "The Emperor's Gift" (Warhammer 40K).
And "Blue Remembered Earth", Alastair Reynolds.
The former is excellent and the later is good so far .
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Currently reading:
Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies; by Jared Diamond.

Up next:
Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization; by Robert Zubrin

Mining the Sky: Untold Riches from the Asteroids, Comets and Planets; by John S. Lewis

Islands in the Sky: Bold New Ideas for Colonizing Space; edited by Stanley Schmidt and Robert Zubrin

...I got enthusiastic after the launch of Planetary Resources.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The Primarchs, an anthology of Horus Heresy stuff.

Really enjoyed both Emperors Gift and Void Stalker. EG made all the sweeter due to the foreword pretty much saying 'Fuck Matt Ward' :lol:
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Finally got done with The Count of Monte Cristo. Despite knowing the broad strokes, it was still enjoyable to read the definitive revenge story.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company by Byrce Hoffman. It's an interesting read on the many disasters (and comebacks) to befall the Ford Motor Company and how a former Boeing man was able to turn the company around. More importantly, he was able - at least for now - to correct the poisonous corporate culture that was Ford and turn it into something better. It feel like hagiography at times, but Mulally appears to be the real deal as a corporate leader (and one Boeing sorely missed for the 787 project).

747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation by Joe Sutter and Jay Spenser.

Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark. This is a hilarious tale of rocket propellent science from its dawn until the 1970s and the ever-expanding attempts to get more performance.