My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bright
Padawan Learner

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Bright »

I don't really mind the voice being changed, and I'm not that particular about the name "Derpy," but I don't understand why they had to un-derp the eyes. That's the annoying part.

The other annoying part? They kind of dismissed the general feeling of support among the fandom in favor of caving in to the complaints of a very small, rather unreasonable minority. I just hate "anti-ableism" in general.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Though i am sad Hasbro gave into the pressure, but i like her new voice slightly more then the old.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I like her new voice, it's less annoying (or at least more fitting to what is supposed to be an adult mare).

However, that they un-derped her eyes (most of the time) is just... weird.

I hope this isn't the controversy that I feared a good couple of pages ago.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

I'm impartial to the voice change and was never really sure about including the fan name in the show (I do like the fan naming, characterisation and her cameos, it was more a general issue with making fandom official). What was particularly disappointing was the pressure to change the scene in the first place, caving to said pressure and now some of the (excessively) vitriolic backlash spawned by the change. I'm also somewhat annoyed about the un-derped eyes, but, at least according to EqDaily, Derpy's future cameos are unchanged.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

I like the new voice better; the old one was a little over the top and was probably the most ableist part of it. Disappointed they removed the name, but whatevs.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Eh, new voice is tons better and wasn't a big fan of random namedrop, anyway. I don't know why they touched her eyes, but I still think new scene is much better.

Also, what is that about 'ableists'? Some new internet disparaging name?
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I'm more bugged about the lack of MLP episode this weekend. Why are they skipping a week?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

*shrug* To not run out? There's like, 8 left and they have to make it last 3 more months...
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

This voice sounds more like ditzy blonde, which works way better. I wasn't a fan of the namedrop either, so really this is net improvement. Besides, her eyes aren't derped all the time.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

As long as they don't stop derping her eyes all together i am good with the changes, her eyes are a major part of her uniqueness to me.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

All the haters should be ashamed of themselves
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:cry: I note that video voice sounds more like revised Derpy than her first voice though. Makes me ashamed for disliking her first voice though....
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crazedwraith wrote::cry: I note that video voice sounds more like revised Derpy than her first voice though. Makes me ashamed for disliking her first voice though....
In my mind that woman's voice had been Derpy since the beginning. She's done voice over's for all of Derpys appearances. What you and everyone else should be ashamed of is that Hasbro is changing her name!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

lordofchange13 wrote:In my mind that woman's voice had been Derpy since the beginning. She's done voice over's for all of Derpys appearances. What you and everyone else should be ashamed of is that Hasbro is changing her name!
What? :wtf:

[Citation Needed]. Especially to what it was changed.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

As far as I'm aware the vast majority of Derpy's appearances have been unvoiced. The only possible exception is the 'muffins!' line that Derpy might have spoken. Also, I don't think the majority of background ponies even have official names, so other than removing the use of 'Derpy' from that episode I don't think anyone is changing her name at all. Faust herself went on record as saying 'Sure, she can be called Derpy'.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Irbis wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:In my mind that woman's voice had been Derpy since the beginning. She's done voice over's for all of Derpys appearances. What you and everyone else should be ashamed of is that Hasbro is changing her name!
What? :wtf:

[Citation Needed]. Especially to what it was changed.
Exscuse my vagueness :oops: . BaldDumboRat has made many videos for the Dr. whooves and Derpy story's where she voices Derpy. She has also taken the clips of a obvious Derpy appearance and dubbed in lines for her. I often watch these videos, so thus her voice is what i think of when Derpy appears.

@Revy:
They made her name Derpy official in the episode, but some really annoying people have claimed that her name makes fun of the mentally impaired and is trying to have Hasbro change her name.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Writer of The Last Round Up Talks about the Derpy controversy.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Oh shoot. I actually had her make a couple of cameos in my fic and called her Ditzy Doo. Then when that episode aired and they called her Derpy I figured Ditzy was a different pony, so I changed the name to Derpy. But it looks like the pony all the fans called 'Derpy' really was Ditzy Doo.

TBH I'm fine with either name, but since that post makes it clear that she was already named Ditzy Doo, they should have stuck with that. Changing a character's name for the sake of the fans when you're already giving said character a cameo every episode and an expanded speaking part, is just overdoing it. Tipping the hat to the fans is nice, but pander to the fans too much and you can wreck the show.
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

I always liked Ditzy Doo as her name and Derpy as a nickname. Same with 'Lyra Heartstrings' after the blind bag names came out.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Revy wrote:Changing a character's name for the sake of the fans when you're already giving said character a cameo every episode and an expanded speaking part, is just overdoing it.
Yeah, but Faust already said "She can be Derpy if everyone likes." or something to that effect way earlier, during season 1.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Bright wrote:Yeah, but Faust already said "She can be Derpy if everyone likes." or something to that effect way earlier, during season 1.
I already mentioned that, however the name Derpy was never used (until recently) whereas Ditzy Doo was. The writer of that episode wasn't even aware of the name 'Derpy', and still believed that pony to be named Ditzy Doo, so clearly Faust never told them. Faust is also no longer in charge of the show, and admitted that her ideas for the series and the various characters will be superseded by the writers and current showrunners. Considering that the writer of the episode in question said in the above interview that they were glad the name Derpy was edited out and wished they had never used it, it's not only a safe bet Derpy is Derpy no more, my point remains - they had the name Ditzy Doo already and should have stuck with it. If they had we wouldn't have people sending email complaints to the writer about the character's name being another word for retarded. They only changed it from Ditzy to Derpy to pander to the fans. As if they weren't already doing so enough with that particular pony.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Definitely a line in the sand moment for me on political correctness.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

tim31 wrote:Definitely a line in the sand moment for me on political correctness.
Shouldn't lines in the sand be drawn over things a tad more revolutionary? I mean, if you can make a group of people feel more comfortable with something as trivial to implement as changing the name of a character, that's probably a net positive, right?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

New episode up-

Flutterbitch returns.
JADAFETWA
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Angel is a asshole!