Mass Effect 3 Demo

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by Havok »

Playing it now.

No conversation timers. Bummer.

I forgot that I hate the fact that after only 30 years on the scene, humans have to save the galaxy.

Hey, Ashley has long hair now.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo

Post by Anacronian »

My impression of the demo was that the humans got their ass royally kicked and it was up to everybody else to save them.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

C'mon dude...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Heat sinks are still there, they even straight call them ammo now. :lol:

Game looks great though. A little darker in tone.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sweet Wrex is back on the team.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Human space is as large as 'inner' and 'outer' council space combined. :V

The single player is hilariously bad. Everyone has changed their uniforms to 'emo', the reapers are less dangerous than fucking War of the Worlds and just land and fire petrol bombs at people (at which rate it will take months to even start to wipe out humanity), we're shown a big fleet that's killed off-camera because the 'defence council' just HAS to be shown as completely retarded because it's a Bioware game.

And then we get long, lingering, loving shots of Normandy's hard, powerful shaft as doves fly past. :roll:

The third-person camera is horrid - just try accidentally attaching to cover and having it swing 180 degrees - the conefire and general damage/recoil balance is 2001, and the utter sadness of the low-scale 'end of the world' couldn't be more underwhelming. I'm most disappointed that they took cooldown penalties onboard but didn't use this to offset the stupid ammo counters; its like they played one game in 2008 and ignored all the others.

The coops is much more interesting, despite its bizarre 'booster pack' system. Sadly you don't get to see much of it, and the progression is pretty clunky, but at least everything skillwise is clear.

If Syndicate didn't exist I'd buy this for coops, but the single-player was so outrageously terrible - it HAS to be camp - that there's no way I'm going to play it.

Highlight of game (besides Normandy's huge cock) was a reaper landing, and little pew pew Baghdad AAA guns shoot at it. PEW PEW PEW ! Space bofors, GO! :lol:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well, Insanity is fucking balls ass hard. :lol:

But yeah, pretty much everything Stark said, except, I'm going to play the shit out of it. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If someone could confirm Bioware were taking the piss, the story might be entertaining as some kind of spoof (with cocks). Sadly, I don't think they are, and they just forgot to talk to their cutscene artists again.

What's really alarming is that it is within the realm of possibility that Binary Domain will have better shooting.

That's right.

A japanese shooter that is less clunky and with a better camera.
Its inconceivable, but we'll find out when the demo drops later today.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Havok wrote:Playing it now.

No conversation timers. Bummer.

I forgot that I hate the fact that after only 30 years on the scene, humans have to save the galaxy.

Hey, Ashley has long hair now.
She apparently got the +5 to fuckability upgrade to snag Shep back.

May in fact be a hair straightener.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

How much zelganite did it take the scientists to install it - that's the real question. :V

The big lol is that not only do they steal the look of Universe at War, I'm pretty sure the walking fortresses in Universe at War had more visually interesting guns. They also effortlessly destroyed entire cities, which is demonstrably well beyond the Reapers.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I'm confused as to why there seems to be a need to unite the other races. Why couldn't they like... respond to an imminent threat without you having to settle petty racial differences first? Couldn't you make a good story out of Sheperd's team being either an elite commando squad that gets assigned some of the nastiest missions of the war to defeat the Reapers because they've killed one before, or maybe have him act as the commander of a part of the war, thus having direct impact on the outcome? I mean the whole "lets gather the troops cause all races are stupid and petty" has been done hasn't it?
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Stark wrote:How much zelganite did it take the scientists to install it - that's the real question. :V

The big lol is that not only do they steal the look of Universe at War, I'm pretty sure the walking fortresses in Universe at War had more visually interesting guns. They also effortlessly destroyed entire cities, which is demonstrably well beyond the Reapers.
I'm sure fanboy's will come up with some half-baked reason why the Reapers dialed everything down that totally doesn't clash with the km's long crater on a randomn world in ME1 created by a glancing railgun round.

But I don't care about any of that, just T&A, space guns and multi.
I'm confused as to why there seems to be a need to unite the other races. Why couldn't they like... respond to an imminent threat without you having to settle petty racial differences first? Couldn't you make a good story out of Sheperd's team being either an elite commando squad that gets assigned some of the nastiest missions of the war to defeat the Reapers because they've killed one before, or maybe have him act as the commander of a part of the war, thus having direct impact on the outcome? I mean the whole "lets gather the troops cause all races are stupid and petty" has been done hasn't it?
I think thats Bioware's whole thing man.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You're assuming Bioware have any ideas left; its pretty clear that they have no idea how to round out the trilogy.

Frankly I was flabbergasted that a reaper army shows up and kills less people than the IRA. It seems to me that Bioware is more interested in their brands and trademarks (probably due to licencing and merchandise) than they are in any kind of robopocalypse occurring.

Does anyone think the story will go anywhere but 'lets go to these 3 places to make the reapers magically disappear'?

Aaron, I can't believe they didn't even crash through buildings or land with a mighty impact and then do something evil like release deadly gas/bacteria/lasers. They just... walk around... lazily pew-pewing parkland. SNORE.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I guess I'm wondering if it's actually a trilogy or if we're going to get some cop out ending so they can make a #4.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

At worst it'll be the end of the SHEPARD TRILOGY and they'll just make other Mass Effect games - they're really pushing their brands like N7 and shit. I'd buy a multi shooter set in ME.

I just want someone who followed devleopment to let me know if Bioware is making Space 60s Batman or if they honestly think this is powerful, non-juvenile stuff. :V
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Even the drop pods land without incident. I don't think Bioware knows what orbital bombardment is but if they had their tripods walking about firing blacke smoke, I would have pissed my self.

I damn near lost it when that dipshit cruiser was plinking away a hundred yards from a cuttlefish.
I guess I'm wondering if it's actually a trilogy or if we're going to get some cop out ending so they can make a #4.
I think this will be it and then a bunch of spinoffs like Mass Effect: N7 Squad Bravo Sierra, Bravo Squad has to go deep behind enemy lines to blow something up. Krogan and Salarian squad members can't get along but bond under adversity.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The best thing about that battle wasn't the 'I shoot, you shoot' thing, or the tiny little blue pews that came out, or that the reaper took 3+ hits to kill it.

Its that the ship exploding so close to the ground killed way more people than the Reapers themselves did. :lol:

Then again how much of this is engine limitations? Is it impossible for them to show panicked crowds or casualties or battles elsewhere in the city or other signs of actual war?
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Well we got them gunning down two shuttles of civvies right?

Think of all the eezo littering up the planet now.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Earth is defended by armies of space taxis. :V

Maybe its like in the War of the Worlds game; if you send your ships along the coast of England, sometimes they decide to just sail off to France where its safe. Maybe that's where the 'huge' fleet of maybe 15 whole ships went. :D
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

That was actually a dreadnought, the most powerful shiptype the Alliance has. :V in addition, the explosion is scripted to go off once you reach a certain location, so you can just sit there and watch them plink away as long as you want if you're a few feet away from the trigger.

Multi is fun as hell, though. Blue ball of fury, go!
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

They obviously knew the Reapers where out there but never bothered to put any kind of picket up to warn them.

"Hey the galaxy's gone dark"

"Hey what happened to the moon"

"Oh god Britain's been hit!"

"Oh shit! A squid just landed!"

And now I've been killed by my table.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If only it had used weapons with actual warheads and wasn't so low a guy with a bb gun could have shot it down it might have acheived something and not killed tens of thousands of people when it exploded.

Sorry I guess it was just meant to be 'cool'. You know what's cool? Ships streaking the sky in suborbital flightpaths dropping nukes. Massive casualties as the demons from beyond swallow the world. Fortresses running like butter, millions of missiles being intercepted by GARDIAN, heroism and death.

You know, like in actual scifi. :lol:

Shepard speaks to the Council.

'You must save earth - at least 9 people are dead and many of our parks will require years to recover. The landscaping bill has already reached $50,000! Our only victory is that none of our ships has been driven straight through this time! Save mankind from our insurance premiums, we beg you!'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I will say this in defense of the Reapers not nuking from orbit and as to the crater sized railgun hit...

The Reapers come back to harvest the organics for raw material, presumably to pro-create, so it makes little sense to vaporize them en masse.

The rail gun crater was from a race fighting against the Reapers, not from the reapers themselves. Remember the hull they went to at the end of 2 that they think was hit with the same gun.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Block wrote:I'm confused as to why there seems to be a need to unite the other races. Why couldn't they like... respond to an imminent threat without you having to settle petty racial differences first? Couldn't you make a good story out of Sheperd's team being either an elite commando squad that gets assigned some of the nastiest missions of the war to defeat the Reapers because they've killed one before, or maybe have him act as the commander of a part of the war, thus having direct impact on the outcome? I mean the whole "lets gather the troops cause all races are stupid and petty" has been done hasn't it?
You are forgetting that it was Cerberus that was funding everything Reaper related, not the Alliance or even the council. The major races as a whole still seem to not buy into the whole "monsters from the far reaches of space are coming to eat us". It's not surprising they don't have their shit together, nor that they are having problems getting it together. Or that Cerberus is fucking with all of them.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Havok wrote:
Block wrote:I'm confused as to why there seems to be a need to unite the other races. Why couldn't they like... respond to an imminent threat without you having to settle petty racial differences first? Couldn't you make a good story out of Sheperd's team being either an elite commando squad that gets assigned some of the nastiest missions of the war to defeat the Reapers because they've killed one before, or maybe have him act as the commander of a part of the war, thus having direct impact on the outcome? I mean the whole "lets gather the troops cause all races are stupid and petty" has been done hasn't it?
You are forgetting that it was Cerberus that was funding everything Reaper related, not the Alliance or even the council. The major races as a whole still seem to not buy into the whole "monsters from the far reaches of space are coming to eat us". It's not surprising they don't have their shit together, nor that they are having problems getting it together. Or that Cerberus is fucking with all of them.
No, I'm talking about the plot of the third game. Clearly the other races would be able to verify that Earth and all of their outlying bases just got slaughtered by a massive external threat, no?