Space Tycoon Roleplay

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Re: Space Tycoon Roleplay

Post by Rabid »

Once in orbit, what are the options for non-chemical propulsion ? Like, can I research super-efficient ionic/plasma drives, buy a naval nuclear reactor from the Russians, (man-)rate it for space and then put-it on a long-range/high-payload inter-planetary freighter ?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Can I sell my services to the world militarilies to launch spy satellites for them and generally spy on their enemies whilst providing plausible deniability?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Rabid wrote:Can I have the above Space Vehicle sent up there in multiple parts and have it assembled by people in my hypothetical shipyard space station ? How many time can a space vehicle shuttle from LEO-to-GEO-and-back per turn/year ?

How many time can I launch the same Spaceplane to orbit per turn/year ? How do you calculate equipment reliability/failure modes ?

Can I rent my assembly lines/orbital assembly capabilities to other ? Can I be contracted by others to use my personnels and assets to maintain their own orbital assets ?
Launching an item in multiple parts: +10% per additional part. I.e. 1 part = base price. 2 parts = 1.2* base price. 3 parts = 1.21 * base price, 4 parts = 1.331 * base price, aso. So if you use four of the 30-ton Rocket to launch a 120-ton Space Vehicle to orbit, that space vehicle will cost an additional 33.1 % more. Developing a 60-ton capacity rocket might actually be cheaper at this point.

Spaceplanes and Space Vehicles can only launch 1/yr, again improvable by research. I am assuming full reliability, to avoid extra rolls where your new ship loses computer control while orbiting Jupiter.

So the Space Vehicle would move the satellite from LEO to GTO and return, and that would be it's year's operation (technically it should be 2 years, but Earth orbit is fairly well mapped/tracked.

Renting Assembly lines and other equipment to other companies is an inter-company matter, and the two players would negotiate the price among themselves. You just have to list the items on your turn reports, i.e.:
DH-1 Industries
(snip, probably involving Equipping the rented Assembly Line with a new Design)
Intercorporate Relations:
Rent Assembly Line for Terratrans for $1B
Allow Terratrans to use 3 LeoTug Space Vehicles to move 3 Solar Satellites to GTO.

Terratrans
(snip, probably involving launching 3 Osiris Solar satellites to LEO)
Intercorporate Relations:
Assembly Line #3 rented to DH-1 Industries for $1B
Use 3 Leotugs from DH-1 Industries to move Osiris-4, -5, and -6 Solar Satellites from LEO to GTO.
Purple wrote:Can I sell my services to the world militarilies to launch spy satellites for them and generally spy on their enemies whilst providing plausible deniability?
Yes, there will be contracts to launch satellites, if your launch prices are cheaper than the IASA designs already existing. (Those prices are fairly expensive, so it should be easy.) Figure the host country handles deniability, as you are just a contracting company. The other option is where you are using a 30-ton capacity rocket, and only putting up 20 tons into orbit. You could get a message asking you to toss a 10-ton extra in the cargo bay.

These will be after the companies prove their capabilities. I.e. you have to launch a rocket or spaceplane of your own, before the companies and IASA will trust that your stuff will work. One way to do this is to launch Supply into orbit.
Supply = general collection of food, O2, fuel, etc. Free on Earth, getting it to space is the job of the companies.

You can also have IASA asking you to launch cargo to clean up Earth's orbit (giant aerogel packets that catch debris, and deorbit). Think free money, all you have to do is launch tonnage to orbit.

If anyone wants to try their hand at designing a rocket, spaceplane, or Space Station module, and either PMing it to me, or posting it here for review, feel free. Next up will be Ground stations, for making your own Moonbase, Mars base, or other exotic locations.

Here is an example first Space Station module, to get people started:
Research module:
5 tons - base module
10 tons - produces 10 pts research (which can be sold, prices will be available on a per-turn basis)
Total mass = 15 tons
Design Cost: $ 10.5 Billion (15 tons * $.7 B/ton)
Equip Cost: $ 5.25 B (half Design cost)
First cost: $1.313 B (1/8 Design Cost)
Line Maintenance Cost: $ 1.05 B (1/10 Design cost, paid each turn to keep the line equipped to produce an item. If this fee is not paid, the line becomes UnEquipped, can choose not to pay in order to change the line for something else.)
2nd, 3rd, 4th costs: $ 1.445 B, $ 1.59 B, $ 1.749 B
Note: The Research module is Operated, so you need to attach it to a Space Station that has a Living Quarters or Habitation module available for the operator to live in. Also, you have to have the person in the space station to operate the module.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

At this point I feel the need to note that you have about 3-4 different and very long posts with rules, costs etc. And that you might want to consider some sort of table for those things. I am working on a spreadsheet for my self but you are literally posting these things faster than I can decipher and quantify them.

Also, about said space station. Can my rockets hit it by accident? Or by accident on purpose for $? I am certain there would be terrorists willing to pay for such a thing. And accidents do happen.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

True about the rules. I'll start the next set of posts now.

Game start:
Each company starts with $20 B, and one Assembly Line. This $20 B is your to spend on Designs, equipping an Assembly Line, building stuff, and any purchases from the IASA. Companies that join later get more cash to play with ($2 B per turn that has gone by), so one person who is in the lead now can have a surprise competitor show up later.

Turn order:
Income:
Carry over Treasury from prior turn
Calculate income from shareholders (Happiness % * $5 B)
Calculate income from Solar Satellites and Research modules (MW produced * $ B/MW + Research sold to Earth vs Research used for own research funds)
Total income:

Expenses:
Pay down debt if went into Debt prior turn (Debt is 10%)
Perform Line Maintenance (10% of the Design equipped there, if you choose to keep the line Equipped. If not, the Assembly Line becomes Unequipped.)
Purchase an Assembly Line for $5 B per if desired
Fund any Designs
Equip any Assembly Lines
Purchase items from Assembly Lines or other players
Fund launches
Total Expenses

Net Treasury

Space stuff
(moving stuff that has been launched via Space Vehicles, attaching modules to a Space Station or making a new one, sending Space Vehicles to different parts of the Solar system, Offering rides for Space Tourism, etc.)

Intercorporate Actions
(trading equipment, usage, funds being sent back and forth, etc. Of course you can trust your fellow corporations. None of them would ever think to launch a Spaceplane and steal your manned Space vehicle for their own use, would they?)

Here are starting fees:
Power: $ .001 B / MW
Research: $ .012 B / Research Generated
Space Tourism: Max fee is $ .07 B per Tourist (initially they will go with IASA Space Tourism, but if the player corporations can provide cheaper, people will go for the lowest cost)
Last edited by Coalition on 2012-01-28 12:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Ground Bases (Moon bases, Mars Bases, Asteroid Mining Bases, Jovian Moon bases):
Command Module - The command area of any settlement. Provides Crew quarters and Life support for its infancy. Required for any land base.; 5 Tons Base + 3 Tons/Crew Member + Life Support Unit; 1.2 Billion/Ton

Storage Module - A pressurized storage area.; 3 Tons Base + 1 Ton/ 1 Ton Storage; 1.0 Billion/Ton

Hydroponics Module - Operated; The main supply producing area for any settlement.; 5 Tons/Supply Produced; 1.5 Billion/Ton

Mining Module - Operated; A massive income boost. Produces minerals which must be shipped to Earth for profits, mineral sale rate will be a changing factor and stated in the status report at the beginning of every turn; 3 Tons/Ton Minerals Produced; 1.6 Billion/Ton

Landing Pad - Operated; Required to service multiple craft a year; 5 Tons, +1 Landing/Year; .5 Billion/Ton

Habitation Module - An area for storing many people. Provides life support for them as well.; 5 Tons/Crew Member + Life Support Unit; .8 Billion/Ton

Mass Driver - Operated; Base 10 Tons; + 3 Tons/Ton Launched to LEO/Turn; Consumes 50MW/Ton launched; 1.5 Billion/Ton

Solar Panel Emplacement - Base 5 Tons; + 2 Tons/10MW Produced; 1.0 Billion/Ton

Fusion Generator - Base 5 Tons; + 1 Tons/1GW Produced; Consumes 1 Helium III/10 GW Produced; 3.0 Billion/Ton

Extractor - Operated; Base 5 Tons; + 2 Tons/Ton Minerals Refined; Consumes 10MW/Mineral Refined (See Refining Chart); 1.5 Billion/Ton

Design/Build/Maintain:
Build Production Line - Build a new production line; 5 Billion
Maintain Production Line - Production lines equipped with designs must be maintained; Design Cost / 10
Equip Production Line - Equip a production line in order to produce a design; Design Cost / 2
Build Design - Build a design off an equipped production line; Design Cost / 8

Derivative technology:
Where each ton of tech is identical, that tonnage is 1/4 cost.
I.e. 10-ton solar satellite (5 ton base module, 5 tons of solar panels) will cost 7 Billion. Using as Derivative for 30-ton solar satellite means 10 tons are same, and 20 tons are different. So 10*.7*.25 + 20*.7 = 1.75 + 14 = 15.75B, vs 30*.7 = 21B.

Transfer-Costs

Space Vehicles are not omni-powerful, they must spend fuel to transfer between planets without Rocket assist. Below is a table of Object-Object Transits (Note: The chart is for every ten tons (including cargo), being transferred, rounded up. So a space vehicle that masses 18 tons and carries 1-2 tons of Supply and/or Cargo would consume 2 supplies going to the Moon, but a space vehicle that masses 18 tons carrying 3-12 tons of cargo would consume 3 supplies on its way to the Moon).

Rockets do not need to spend fuel to get to the desired location, but any crew/passengers will need Supply to survive the trip. Rockets also only provide for trip to the location, not the return trip.

Earth
To Moon : 1 Supply (3 Days)
To Mars : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Asteroid Belt : 2 Supplies (1 Year)
To NEO : 1 Supply (< 6 Months)
To Venus : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Jupiter : 4 Supplies (1 Year)

Moon
To Earth : 1 Supply (3 Days)
To NEO : 1 Supply (< 6 Months)

NEO
To Moon : 1 Supply (< 6 Months)
To Earth : 1 Supply (< 6 Months)

Mars
To Earth/Moon : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Asteroid Belt : 1 Supply (3 Months)
To NEO : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Venus : 4 Supplies (1 Year)
To Jupiter : 2 Supplies (6 Months)

Venus
To Earth/Moon : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To NEO : 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Mars : 4 Supplies (1 Year)
To Asteroid Belt : 5 Supplies (15 Months)
To Jupiter : 6 Supplies (18 Months)

Jupiter
To Venus: 6 Supplies (18 Months)
To Earth/Moon : 4 Supplies (1 Year)
To NEO : 4 Supplies (1 Year)
To Mars: 2 Supplies (6 Months)
To Asteroid Belt : 1 Supply (3 Months)
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Space Vehicle Cargo:
2:1 ton:cargo - starting
3:2 ton:cargo - $5B
1:1 ton:cargo - $10B
3:4 ton:cargo - $15B
1:2 ton:cargo - $20B
1:3 ton:cargo - $30B
1:4 ton:cargo - $40B
1:6 ton:cargo - $80B
1:10 ton:cargo - $150B (limit)

Solar Panels:
15 MW - $15B
20 MW - $35B
25 MW - $60B (limit)

Spaceplane launch rate
2/yr - $10B
3/yr - $15B
4/yr - $20B
#/yr - # * $5B (need #-1 tech already developed)

Space Vehicle use rate:
2/yr - $10B
(as Spaceplane Launch rate)

Additional launch/use rate cost decrease (instead of +10% per additional launch)
+7%/ - $10B
+5%/ - $20B
+4%/ - $40B
+3%/ - $60B
+2%/ - $100B

Rocket/Spaceplane launch cost multiplier (better administration/tracking)
1/2 - $10B
1/3 - $15B
1/4 - $25B (limit for spaceplanes)
1/6 - $50B
1/10 - $100B
1/20 - $250B (limit for rockets)

Solar Module Base weight
4 tons - $2.5B
3 tons - $5 B
2 tons - $7.5B
1 ton - $10B

Module Base mass reduction (for a single module type)
-n% = n^1.75 * 60
(calculate the cost as a percentage from the basic, to lost 1 ton of base mass, each is per ton lost)

Overall satellite mass reduction:
Module Base Mass reduction * 5

Transit efficiency:
Solar Electric Drive - $10B
2/3 propellant - $5B
1/2 propellant - $10B

Research/Hydroponics/Derivative capacity
+50% - $15B
+100% - $30B
+150% - $45B
+200% - $60B

Satellite mass reduction
3/4 - $10B
2/3 - $15B
1/2 - $25B

Spacecraft Crew limit
+100% - $30B
+200% - $45B
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

General Space System, SARL

Headquarters situated in Luxembourg City, in a modest fifteen story building.

First assembly line is in Guyane, near Cayenne [Designation : Assembly line 01]
Launchpad is in the perimeter of the Kourou Spaceport. [Designation : Base Alpha]

First year action :

Design :
30-ton-to-GEO rocket, codename “Orion I” [7.5 Billion expense]

Assembly lines :
Equip AL-01 with “Orion I” rocket design [3.75 Billion expense]

Build :
1 x “Orion I” [0.94 Billion expense]

Subtotal : 12.19 Billion

End-of-turn action :
Launch to GEO from B-ALPHA an Orion I rocket loaded with a 30-ton brass statue of Freddie Mercury with a solar-powered radio broadcaster in the pedestal programmed to alternatively play every hours Queen's “We Will Rock You” and “The Show Must Go On”. [0.6 Billion expense]

Accounting :
Expenses
[General] : 12.19 Billion
[Actions] : 0.6 Billion
[Maintenance] : 0.75 Billion

[Total expenses] : 13.54 Billion

Treasury : 6.46 Billion
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Turn #1

Companies that have launched missions this turn gain 1% Happiness
Companies who have not launched missions this turn lose 1% happiness.

The following Achievements have been accomplished this turn:
General Space Systems (First Launch) +10% Happiness

General News:
A new company has emerged to provide heavy lift capacity to GEO, and has successfully managed to place its first payload in orbit. Already complaints have emerged about the radio noise interference, along with other private organizations eyeing the potential market that has been demonstrated.

IASA has also decided that they will be launching a new Space station, to replace the aging ISS. The ISS2 will require approximately 1500 tons of payload lifted to LEO, along with an annual maintenance of 6 astronauts. Estimated costs for this using current launch platforms is $145 B for delivery of the modules, and $.36 B annually for astronauts.

IASA rockets for sale (cost includes launch fee):
30-ton LEO capacity: $3B per rocket, 4 available
10-ton LEO capacity: $ .75B per rocket
5 ton rocket to GEO: $ .5B
2 ton rocket to TLI: $ .35B
1 ton rocket to TMI: $ .25B
1 ton rocket to TVI: $ .25B

Spaceplane Rental costs
2 person Spaceplane: $.07B

Solar Satellites:
40-ton Osiris Solar satellite, 350 MW produced per year, cost per: $ 5B

Contracts available:
Solpow Industries - 10 Solar satellites @ 40-tons per, built at 2 per year, need delivery to GEO, payment is $3 B per satellite. If delivering as multi-part, need to have a technician in orbit to connect the pieces, payment drops to $ 2.5 B per satellite (OOC: multi-part items have connector fees, this comes out of the budget for launches)

IASA ISS modules - 1 Launch per year, 30 tons per Launch to LEO, $ 2.5 B Or Best Offer

Private contractor - 4 launches per year, 5 tons per launch to LEO, payment is $ .04B per Launch

Tourism:
4 Tourists take IASA Spaceplane to visit orbit, $ .07 B paid per person. After-launch surveys indicate that if the prices were lower the number of tourists would increase. An IASA representative has stated they have examined their launch budget and found no places to cut launch costs.

Sales Prices:
Space Tourism: $.07 B per
Solar Power: $.001 B per MW
Space Research: $ .012 B per Research generated
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Wait, turn 1 is over already? I was expecting some kind of post saying "Game begins now, you got X days, gogogo!"
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

*sigh* I guess that means he who has not shown up is out. Just as well. I am a man who honestly advocates FATAL as a good and proper ropleplaying system. And I think this is complicated.

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

No, it only means that you can start this "year" with a 22 Billion treasury, or next "year" with a 24 Billion treasury, or the "year" after that with a 26 Billion treasury...
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

This is just turn 1. Other companies can (and hopefully will) come in later. Since you two did show interest, I won't run turn 2 until Feb 10. You two have $ 23B for designs, equipping an Assembly line, and building something. Honestly, I put up the rules on Dec 31, and only Rabid PM'd me asking me questions.

Now I've got an even larger PM from him, and have to take it apart for answers. May be a bit.

But if you (Purple & Narkis) want to put in designs, feel free to PM me the ideas. Hint - Go with a spaceplane or rocket design first for base launch capability.
DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

Sonakis Path-E-Tech

Corporate Headquarters in the Mojave Desert, on a 64-acre lot.

Initial Assembly Line designated as Assembly-0, on Sonakis campus.
Initial Launch Facility designated as Pad-0, currently set on the outskirts of Palmdale, CA.

In-Turn Activities
Design 25-Ton capacity rocket for one-way solar trips designated "Sol-A". {$18.75 Billion}
Place $1 Billion in a "Rainy Day Fund" for safekeeping. {$1 Billion}

Income
Initial Start-Up Investment: $22 Billion

Total Income: $22 Billion

Expenses
Design (Sol-A): {$18.75 Billion}
Rainy Day Deposit: {$1 Billion}

Total Expenses: {$19.75 Billion}

Final Accounts
Prior Assets: $0.00 +
Income: $22 Billion =
Usable Assets: $22 Billion -
Expenses: {$19.75 Billion} =
Remaining Assets: $2.25 Billion

Spoiler
I am assuming a $.75/ton for a rocket to the Sun; and due to that, I'm broke. Hopefully will be worth it in the long run.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Headquarters situated in Luxembourg City, in a modest fifteen story building.

First assembly line is in Guyane, near Cayenne [Designation : Assembly line 01]
Launchpad is in the perimeter of the Kourou Spaceport. [Designation : Base Alpha]

Start of turn treasury :
9.51 Billion

Second year action :

Build :
3 x “Orion I” [3.11 Billion expense]

Subtotal : 6.4 Billion

End-of-turn action :
Announce to the investor that GSS is going to invest its time and money into creating a better launch system than the Orion I rocket, launch system that will cost less to launch and maintain, while more adapted to the needs of the market. At current investment rate, the project should be completed in 7 to 10 years.

Accounting :
Expenses
[General] : 3.11 Billion
[Actions] : 0 Billion
[Maintenance] : 0.75 Billion

[Total expenses] : 3.86 Billion

Treasury : 5.65 Billion
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Amendment :
Coalition wrote:IASA has reviewed the offers, and yours is accepted. You have a 4-year contract to launch 2 30-ton modules to LEO per year. Payment is a total of $ 20 B, at $ 5 B per year.

(OOC: You can include this in your turn orders as of now. Pity we can't edit the posts.)
End of turn action :
Launch 2 ISS2 modules to orbit using 2 (of the 3 in stock) Orion I rockets. [1.2 Billion cost // 5 Billion income ==> 3.8 Billion benefit]

End of turn treasury : 9.45 Billion
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Jubilation and joy in the Aristotelous square of Thessalonica, as politicians, pundits, professionals and common people gathered to watch live the launch of the first locally designed, locally assembled, local rocket, and eat sausages and souvlakia provided by the until recently government-owned space company. Many had doubted the worth of this program, marred with cost overruns and delays since day one, deriding it as a last attempt of an ailing government to soar support and enrich certain few. But few are laughing now, as this marvel of modern engineering and Greek ingenuity roars majestically towards the heavens.

The crowd goes silent when, after almost an eternity, the rocket’s ascend ends. A few tense moments before the payload is brought into place, and the satellite starts transmitting. They cheer with the stars projected on giant screens, and the 400x300m Greek flag, a new Guiness world record, now slowly unfurling. The national anthem, transmitted straight from space, booms through the speakers. A tear rolls on the mayor's cheek as he silently sings along, and the corporate cronies standing nearby start smiling when the anthem is slowly replaced by messages from our sponsors.

It appears that we have showed them all. Furthermore, it seems very unlikely that they will laugh at us again. A new era has began for our fair nation, and new glories await us.

Space Mpougatsa, Inc

Headquarters in the center of Thessalonica, in a renovated historical building.
First assembly line in the Industrial Area of Thessalonica
First launchpad in the island of Gavdos, south of Crete

Designs:
"Bigger than Yours" 50-ton GEO capable Rocket ($ 12.5 B)

Budget:
Starting Funds: $ 23 B

Expenses:
R&D: 50-ton GEO capable rocket: $ 12.5 B
Equip Assembly Line #1 to make rocket: $ 6.3 B
Purchases: 1 Rockets - $ 1.6 B
Launch Costs: $ 1 B
Total Expenses: $ 21.4 B

Closing Balance: $ 1.6 B

Industry:
Thessalonica Assembly Line: Construct 1 "Bigger than Yours"

Launch Operations:
Gavdos Launch Facility: Launch 1 "Bigger than Yours". Payload is a 7 ton telecommunications satellite, a 12 ton Greek flag, and a 20 ton mechanism to unfurl it.
DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

Sonakis Path-E-Tech
Redirection

"After a shareholder's meeting earlier this week - with a presentation from an anonymous interested person-, Sonakis Path-E-Tech CEO 'DaZergRock54444' has been ordered to redirect company finances in a more profitable direction."

Activities
Design 10-ton capacity Cargo Spaceplane "CMS-1" (1 pilot, 1 passenger) {$16 Billion}
Equip Assembly-0 for CMS-1 production {$8 Billion}
Produce 1 CMS-1 {$2 Billion}
Launch CMS-1 loaded with a crate containing copies of several historically important manuscripts (e.g. Universal Declaration of Human Rights, US Declaration of Independance, Communist Manifesto...) weighing 5 tons {$1.2 Billion}

Accounting
Income: $22 Billion (see initial release)
Expenditures: {$27.2 Billion}
Total: {$5.2 Billion}

All negatives are in braces ({}), and I need to launch.
Here goes.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Republic Aerospace Engineering

Headquartered in the Chicago Loop.

Assembly Line sited in Aurora, IL.
Launch Facility built as adjunct to Aurora Municipal Airport.

Funds: $22bn

Design 4-passenger spaceplane, no cargo capacity. Type designation SV Aurora-Able
Cost: $8bn.

Equip Aurora plant to produce SV Aurora-Able.
Cost: $4bn.

Produce 4x SV Aurora-Able spaceplanes. Designate Aurora-Able-1 through Aurora-Able-4.
Cost: $4.641bn.

Schedule orbital test flight of SV Aurora-Able-1 from Aurora Municipal Airport.
Cost: $.04bn.

Total cost: $16.681bn

Remaining treasury: $5.319bn.

Republic CTO Sam Wexler is expected to make a statement at a space technology conference in Los Angeles later today.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Turn 2

The following Achievements have been accomplished this turn:
Space Mpougusta - Happiness +5% (First Launch)
Sonakis Path E-Tech - Happiness +5% (First Launch)
Sonakis Path E-Tech - Happiness +10% (Manned Launch)
Republic Aerospace Engineering - Happiness +5% (First Launch)
Republic Aerospace Engineering - Happiness +10% (Manned Launch)

General News:
Three new corporations have emerged in the commercial space market, one with an eye towards competing over the GEO heavy lift market, while the other two are experimenting with Spaceplanes for repeat usage of launch platforms. One has decided to focus on cargo capacity, and the other is focusing on passenger services.

IASA is pleased to announce its plans to deliver the components into LEO for the ISS2 have started, and their spokesman said their plans will eventually result in a Space station massing approximately three times the original ISS. They have also announced they plan to launch a rocket to deliver a Lunar lander to the Moon once again. The rocket is to deliver a Space vehicle capable of handling 5 people, while delivering 4 tons of scientific equipment and Lunar exploration equipment while returning with 4 tons of Lunar rock. The spokesman said this one trip would provide ten times as much Lunar material to study as the entire NASA Lunar program brought back. The plan included sufficient food and oxygen for the crew for over a month on-site, allowing extensive exploration. To support the five people in the Lunar lander, plus the one person remaining in orbit, it is estimated that a rocket capable of delivering over eighty tons to LEO will be needed.

Potential destinations for the Lunar program ranged from the Lunar poles to the cold traps, or areas that have never been touched by sunlight.

Fees for solar power have also increased by 10%, as par of the Developed world's attempt to deliver 24/7 solar power to developing nations. Several groups have expressed concern that control over the solar satellites mean that any country needing the power has to remain on subservient terms with the providing nation. Three nations in the African Union are currently in talks with Osiris Industries to purchase solar power satellites to provide independent power supply. They are currently being held up due to talks with IASA rocket restrictions governing transfer of orbit-capable platforms to countries without sufficient experience.

Several private contractors for the IASA are looking into increasing the efficiency of solar panels.

Fees for performing orbital research are holding steady, due to the lack of data so far. It is anticipated that within two years that the research performed at the ISS2 will give a rough basis for the commercial value.

IASA rockets for sale (cost includes launch fee):
30-ton LEO capacity: $ 3B per rocket, 2 available
10-ton LEO capacity: $ .75B per rocket
5 ton rocket to GEO: $ .45B
2 ton rocket to TLI: $ .35B
1 ton rocket to TMI: $ .25B
1 ton rocket to TVI: $ .25B

Spaceplane Rental costs
2 person Spaceplane: $.07B

Solar Satellites:
40-ton Osiris Solar satellite, 350 MW produced per year, cost per: $ 4.5B

Contracts available:
Private contractor - 4 launches per year, 5 tons per launch to LEO, payment is $ .4B per Launch. Need a total of 32 launches performed to set up constellation.

IASA - Need delivery of 6 Supply to ISS2 currently being assembled in LEO. Payment is .05 B per Supply delivered.

African Union - Launch total of 6 Osiris Solar satellites to GEO. Must be delivered as a single piece. Payment is $ 3.5B per Solar satellite delivered to GEO.

(OOC: To bid on contracts, send me a PM with which contract and your offer. I'll give the results Wednesday evening for your orders)

Tourism:
5 Tourists take IASA Spaceplane to visit orbit, $ .07 B paid per person. After-launch surveys indicate that if the prices were lower the number of tourists would increase. An IASA representative has stated they have examined their launch budget and found no places to cut launch costs.

Several people stated anonymously that if Republic Aerospace's Spaceplane can cut costs compared to IASA, they would talk to their friends. The advantage of traveling as a group rather than an individual would add to the experience.

Sales Prices:
Space Tourism: $.07 B per
Solar Power: $.0011 B per MW
Space Research: $ .012 B per Research generated
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Actions scheduled for Turn 3 :
- Build 2 x Orion I rockets
- Launch 2 x 30-ton ISS2 modules to LEO with 2 x Orion I rockets

Accounting :

Code: Select all

Start of turn treasury : (last turn sold : 9.45 B) + (60% happiness investors) = 12.45 B

Expense [total : 3.924 B]
- Build 2 x Orion I => 1.974 B
- Launch 2 x Orion I => 1.2 B
- Maintain AL-01 (Orion I) => 0.75 B

Income [total : 5 B]
- 5 Billion IASA contract

Balance = + 1.076 B

End of turn treasury : 13.526 B
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

I'm really interested, but one thing I don't see defined is this: how long will we have to submit each turn? If it's a week or so I can play, otherwise it's just not going to work.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Oops - I forgot about this! Gotta get back to it...

Okay - At a space technology conference in Los Angeles, Republic Aerospace Engineering CTO Sam Wexler called for a major business project to develop a system for low-cost lunar access; he outlined the proposal as follows: a pair of orbital transfer stations, one in Earth orbit, one in Lunar orbit, a reusable spacecraft to ferry people and cargo between the stations (or a pair of spacecraft types - one for cargo, one for passengers), and a reusable lunar lander for access to the lunar surface. He noted that Republic can already provide the reusable capability to transfer crew to the LEO station and is pleased to see the development of a cargo spaceplane capable of servicing such a station, though not of launching one yet. Wexler stated that a forthcoming RASE white paper would give more detailed technical aspects of the proposed system, called LunarLink.

(btw, Chaser, given the rate of play so far, you'll probably be fine. :wink: )
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Yeah, but I wanted to get an official statement...seems like turns have been a bit inconsistent so far.
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Ghetto edit: And what's the deal with contracts? The ones posted offer fixed payment for certain deliverables, but you say to PM with bids. Can we bid above or below the listed amount? Or is it first come, first served?